Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a replacement to my vented clutch cover. It's a metal design that seems to be flimsy.

I saw these http://www.madduc.com/showcategory.aspx?categoryid=15 and was wondering what everyone thinks of them. I'm not quite sure what die cast aluminium is but he didn't state it was poured from a known alloy like T6160.

Does anyone have any experience with this product? A low side or tip over or worse?

I'm partial to the first one. Anyone see any issues with the open faced design assuming the material passes your criticism?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Cast aluminum is like the stock clutch cover. These will not provide good protection in case of a lowside. If you are going to be doing trackdays it is recommended that you get an alloy cover. This will sav you thousands for a new clutch in the case of an accident. Try speedymoto.com or motowheels.com. I bought on off ebay, but I don't think it is going to give me the protection I want.

·
Super Moderator
8,212 Posts
I like these pieces from AxlJax myself. Proven "crash" ability and looks pretty good. They’re made from solid billet aluminum just like there impeller guards and are just under 5mm thick.

And after a crash..

These things might not be as "sexy" as the anodized stuff, but they do the job nicely.
Here is there Impeller guard after 12 crashes!!!

AxlJax homepage
http://www.axljak.com/Billet Parts - Ducati.htm

Also.. Cyclecat seem to be turning out good stuff, that´s a bit more sexy.

Also crash tested

If you combine that with a cyclecat pressureplate, it´ll keep the springs from catching even if your clutchcover fails, thus saving the clutch.

Homepage
http://www.cyclecat.com/CC1-1.htm

Most of the damage on the clutch when lowsiding comes from the springs cathing in the clutchcover. I´ve had a friends clutch ripped apart from a very lowspeed lowside. he was practicly standing still. Mine was also about to snap when i dropped my bike in neutral..

//amullo

·
Administrator
6,169 Posts
I have it....

I have the Madduc Ducati "D".
I also have the Cycle Cat pressure plate.

The covers are not that flimsy, as say the cf covers, and they are thicker than the stock cover.

A lot of guys are running the stock cover, and they don't crash well.

So my advice is, DON'T CRASH! LOL!

I just think the Madduc covers are pretty and for the street I use it.
For the track, I change the cover, as it only takes a few minutes.

Just part of the tape, remove lights, change fairings.. process of preperation.
Do what you like for the street, go heavy duty for the track!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You guys are going to drive me to the poor house. :)

I come here asking about the clutch cover and now I learn the factory stuff is weak and now I have to get some armor for the water pump as well :( What happens if that side of the bike gets FUBAR'd?

That axljak is beefy but pricey. I don't mind spending the money as long as it works and is proven.

Not the prettiest out there but it does the job. I like the bcm one if it had more windows. I even like the color and sheen of it. You could problaby grind/sand/polish out the scratches and it would be good as new.

BTW, this is for a street bike as I don't have the funds to replace parts if I track this bad boy (assuming I crash). I would love to take it to a track one day and ride it as it was meant to be ridden. It must be an incredible experience.

So now its bike armour or bar risers... it sucks to be semi poor.

·
Registered
835 Posts
i want the 5 spoke looking one...... they are nice, i may leave it open. i don't really care. can't worry about it all!

·
Registered
610 Posts

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I bought MPL on ebay. It takes a couple of weeks to get it, but worth it price-wise. I don't know if they are as strong as some of the other ones mentioned, but for the price I couldn't pass it up. It has to be stronger than the carbon fiber one that was on the bike. I also got a billet sprocket cover ($25) that kind of matches the cluth cover. The surface looked a little messed up, but again, better looking than the plastic one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts