Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year, I replaced the ugly stock fuel cap assembly on my 1999 ST2 with an nice red billet cap. This spring, the bike refused to start. After pulling the fuel tank and inspecting the fuel pump assembly, I noticed two things: 1) the so-called submersible fuel hoses had literally melted and 2) the fuel line running from the fuel pump to the filter had blown off the pump fitting.

I pulled out my old fuel cap assembly and re-installed it. I noticed that there is a small vent covered by a rubber fitting in the original assembly which is not present in the billet cap. Is it possible that the after-market cap was somehow responsible for the hose blowing off? If so, others who have replaced their fuel caps should be wary.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a similar issue where the tank was not venting. It turned out that the vent line was connected to the Carbon Canister (which is normal) and was not venting. I ended up removing the canister and the venting issue was resolved. Double check your vent tube is clear with a little compressed air, this is most likely the cause of the hose blowing off. In my case it was not the fuel cap, I can't help you with the hose melting but its not good!

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
I had replaced my stock cap with a aftermarket cap because I was having venting problems. I used a cheap cap and did not care for it and went back to a new "stock cap". The rubber matting piece you speak of is where the stock cap mates to the vent line. I am sure your replacement cap had some type of venting built into it. If it was not venting properly I believe it would have caused other problems. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts