Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying a new Aerostich one piece suite for riding and touring and was wondering if anyone has a comment about them. Would you buy another one or would you buy something different? They are a lot of money and just wanted some ideas.

Thanks Jack

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had the same one piece Aerostich suit since 1989. It is a very versatile and durable suit. It is easy to get on and off and it is comfortable from about 40-85 degrees. I wear it over everything from shorts and a t-shirt in hot weather to my electric vest or jacket in cold weather. It is pretty water resistant. It takes a long ride in heavy rain before you get wet. I wear it whenever I am touring or when it looks like rain.I definitely recommend it and would by another one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have worn them for years and would definitely buy another. They are very durable and water tight. Furthermore it is a great company to deal with.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
I've had mine for less than a year, but so far I'm impressed with it. I concur with the above statements, but I have noticed that it's mostly in its element when you're riding a bike with a fairly standard riding position. On sport-touring bikes, or my Hypermotard, it's excellent. But riding my Sport 1000 or my Superbike, it's a little awkward. I know they make a "wedge" piece that zips in between the jacket and pants, but even with that piece it still gets all bunched up and cumbersome when riding a full sport bike.

Since this is the Sport Touring forum, I have to say go for it. But if you have other sport bikes that you ride, just keep that in mind...

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have been wearing one for a while now. Very convenience for commuting as I can wear my change of clothes underneath. Aside from the zippers getting worn out, the suit has been good to me.

Yes, I would buy another.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Aerostitch

I too own one, and use it almost all the time, but admittedly, it isn't right for every occasion. If I'm going on a long tour, it the logical choice, as I don't know what I'll encounter. If I'm commuting, its great. Slip in on, slip it off, ready for work. Hell, you could look like James Bond ready for a dinner part underneath that thing, if you looked like James Bond.

For weekend rides on the sport bike, I prefer something a bit different, and something that I can walk into a coffee shop with.

My only complaint is that it is drafty at the neck, and there isn't a good solution for that. I end up wearing a vest if its under 50.

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Not Too Hot....

Hello
I consider my 'Stich some essential riding gear for commuting.
It was actually a lot more practical when I lived in N. California that here in S. Texas, though. While I suppose it could be worn up to 85 deg. F, it would steam you in the humidity here. For me, it's a one season piece of equipment here, three season in CA.
Quite warm if you use an Aerostich "Wind Triangle" or similar to cover your exposed throat, and layer some insulation underneath the 'Stich.
And if I was forced to get intimate with the road surface, my 'Stich with added CE padding (back, hips, etc.) would be a good way to go.
I wound up going one size up when I added the back padding, though. It kind of moves the entire garment upward and backward an inch or so.

guido in Houston

·
Registered
327 Posts
I got mine since 1988, and wear it for all my riding. I found that on my old sport bike (CBR900), the knees bind a little bit with the knee pads, but not on the SC1000.

If you are planning to ride through winter, it may be a good idea to get one size larger than what you need for all the extra layers. You could also send it back for specific adjustments. The optional hard paddings are good but they are a b*tch to install. It may be due to the reason that my suit is a small size. I had to trim some pieces to make them fit. The customer service is pretty good.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,310 Posts
I've worn their stuff for years, and consider it essential gear. I now feel naked riding without it. The only shortcoming I've ever noticed with the one-piece is that in a good long rain, water will collect in the crotch area, and eventually get inside. This won't happen with the two-piece or their Darian stuff. I wear a one-piece 99.9% of the time, the only exception being short casual rides close to home. Even in hot, hot weather it works well with all the vents open. You can also get into and out of it in about 5 seconds.

Get the suit, it's the best, most versatile stuff out there for the price.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Smoke if ya gottem....

jackoduc said:
I am thinking of buying a new Aerostich one piece suite for riding and touring and was wondering if anyone has a comment about them. Would you buy another one or would you buy something different? They are a lot of money and just wanted some ideas.

Thanks Jack
It's 70 degrees out, low humidity, a little coastal wind blowing and I'm heading into town. My stich is hanging on the back of the bedroom door ready to go, but I'll probably wear my ancient leather jacket and draggin jeans. Why? For one thing I'm never really comfortable walking around stores wearing a red stich, it just seems too much like I'm posing. Sure I could take the stich off and store them somewhere but even rolled up they're no small package. On occasion I see someone's one-piece draped over their handlebars while the owner is in a restaurant but that just seems like a helluva lot of trouble to me. I know that's silly but it's how I feel. When I head out on a long ride I'm like several of the other riders, I wear the stich, it's simple to put on and you know you're pretty safe if you off-load. If I had to do it over I'd probably buy it in black and take my chances with low visibility. Maybe wear my florescent undies on the outside...woo hoo
rotsa ruck...
LL75

PS - I sure am glad they have a spell checker on this site, I had one helluva time with florescent...

·
North Carolina, USA
3,310 Posts
larrylarry75 said:
On occasion I see someone's one-piece draped over their handlebars while the owner is in a restaurant but that just seems like a helluva lot of trouble to me. I know that's silly but it's how I feel. LL75
I'll agree that you feel awful silly clumping through a restaurant in a stich. Makes your butt look too big to get in the chairs. If I'm in foreign territory, I just run the cable lock through the suit and helmet, and secure it to the bike. No real trouble and I've never had a problem with it. That way I get to walk inside in my shorts and t-shirt like everyone else.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
mollycbr123 said:
I'll agree that you feel awful silly clumping through a restaurant in a stich. Makes your butt look too big to get in the chairs. If I'm in foreign territory, I just run the cable lock through the suit and helmet, and secure it to the bike. No real trouble and I've never had a problem with it. That way I get to walk inside in my shorts and t-shirt like everyone else.
+1 on that!

That's one of the benefits of the 'Stitch. It's so much easier to get in and out of it than leathers, and you can wear any street clothes under it...

·
Registered
335 Posts
The 'stich has been the standard for commuting and touring for a while, but I think it's starting to show it's age a bit. It's till currently the best thing out there for it's purpose, but Rev It is coming out with something similar this winter that could give it a run for it's money or top it (if you have time to wait).

·
Registered
302 Posts
I bought my first two-piece Roadcrafter in '85 or '86. Bought a new one (same size as 20 years ago) last year. Take a close look at the fitting chart before you order. I have a 44 chest and a 32 waist so I ended up ordering the the 2 piece Roadcrafter. The one-piece would have given me a 40 inch waist a bulky look. Most of the time I wear it zipped together so it works just like a one piece. I like the option of wearing just the jacket with jeans for a short ride to town. The jacket will fit in one Ducati side case. The entire suit will not. In temps above 80 F I wear a Vanson leather Pro Perf. I am told that chicks dig leather more than textile but how would I know? I am 65 and invisible to most young females.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
My Stitch is a 2 piece that I bought used about 4 years ago. I feel that it is the best made, most functional piece of riding gear that I have ever owned. It is very good at lots of things, great for commuting or touring, maybe not as great for running errands or dining.
I think that Olympia has a real nice one piece as well, and its about half the price of the Stitch. If I were in the market for a new textile suit I would check it out as well.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,310 Posts
butch said:
I think that Olympia has a real nice one piece as well, and its about half the price of the Stitch. If I were in the market for a new textile suit I would check it out as well.
After reading about their suit in Motorcyclist mag and talking to the folks at Olympia, I recently checked out one of them at a local BMW dealership. I was looking at it in the hope of getting one just for summertime use. While it is lighter weight than a stich, it's still a pretty heavy suit, so no real advantage for warm weather use. It did look to be very well made, and I would definitely consider it as an alternative if I was in the market for a multi-use riding suit. IIRC it was priced at about $450 at the dealership.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since I started this thread I must say that the Aerostich Roadcrafter suits have a great reputation. Thanks for the information. What kind of elbow, shoulder and knee pads are in your suit??? Do I need to upgrade??

Thanks for the info Jackoduc

·
North Carolina, USA
3,310 Posts
jackoduc said:
Since I started this thread I must say that the Aerostich Roadcrafter suits have a great reputation. Thanks for the information. What kind of elbow, shoulder and knee pads are in your suit??? Do I need to upgrade??

Thanks for the info Jackoduc
I added their back protector and hip pads, which I wear in a one-piece and also in a Darian suit. The shoulder, knee, and elbow pads have hard contoured shells over impact absorbing foam. The armor is very comfortable, although the foam has a tendancy to get hard as a rock if the suit is left unworn in cold temps. It quickly warms and softens from body heat, but it can make getting a cold suit on more of a chore than usual. IIRC, Aerostich used to sell upgraded armor that was not as sensitive to cold. Not sure if they still do, but I've always felt the armor the suits came with was fine.

·
Registered
256 Posts
OK, I'm putting the flame suit on, but check this out before you buy:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/rg/xc/

I already had a Roadgear Excalibur jacket, and a pair of their matching pants, long before I read this review, and I totally agree with their comments. We vacation every summer up in northern Minnesota, and a couple of times now I have stopped into the Aerostitch headquarters in Duluth, hoping to invest in a Roadcrafter or Darien suit, but . . . when I tried them on they all felt like straight jackets. Just too heavy and stiff for my liking.

Then I found Roadgear stuff, and I haven't looked back. MUCH more comfortable, and temp-wise my Excalibur jacket/pants combo is good up to about 75 or 80, depending on humidity. ANY textile jacket, unless it's the full mesh summer variety, will be much too hot above the high 70's. These are Fall, winter, and early spring garments -- don't let any company tell you they work in hot summer weather.

Anyway, thought I'd throw in my 2 cents for Roadgear -- way underrated stuff. My choice AFTER I'd thoroughly checked out everything Aerostitch had to offer.

Greg Mitchell
Columbia, MO
2006 Ducati ST3s
2000 Kawasaki W650 cafe
1982 Kawasaki GPz550 stock/mint

1 - 20 of 29 Posts