Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If anybody's rode a bike with better aerodynamics than the 2004> ST bikes, I'd like to hear which one it was. Many years later, and I'm still amazed at how "cleanly" the bike slices through/manages the air. I get no helmet buffeting at speed; even in strong, head whipping, gusty cross winds the bike tracks very well with only minor input at the bars to keep it on line; after riding through rain soaked roads, there's very little grit/grime to wipe off. Is it possible Ducati actually developed it in a wind tunnel and not a CAD station? :)

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
If anybody's rode a bike with better aerodynamics than the 2004> ST bikes, I'd like to hear which one it was. Many years later, and I'm still amazed at how "cleanly" the bike slices through/manages the air. I get no helmet buffeting at speed; even in strong, head whipping, gusty cross winds the bike tracks very well with only minor input at the bars to keep it on line; after riding through rain soaked roads, there's very little grit/grime to wipe off. Is it possible Ducati actually developed it in a wind tunnel and not a CAD station? :)
Absolutely. Couldn't agree more. The only bike I've ridden that's better is my 999. But of course you pay the price with the super uncomfortable riding position. But at triple digit speeds you wouldn't believe the totally dead air space for the rider.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
What wind screen do you have? I actually get light high frequency buffeting around 90-100 mph with both hands on the bars, but with one hand on and seated upright i get none.

·
Mr Leakered
8,944 Posts
Triumph Sprint ST, circa 2001. I'm not sure about the later gens or the RS, but that gen ST had a little duct cut into the base of the windscreen that made for some fabulously smooth flow. It was one notch off of naked bike smooth and quiet. I felt as if I could have ridden that bike without ear plugs, the owner does not use ear plugs.

I do prefer earplugs for windnoise regardless of the bike.

Have a good one.

·
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What wind screen do you have? I actually get light high frequency buffeting around 90-100 mph with both hands on the bars, but with one hand on and seated upright i get none.
Stock screen which, like the 2004> STstock seat, is the best in the business IMO. :)

·
19,081 Posts
I have to say that I found the Zero Gravity standard screen to be better for me. The duck tail lip on the top of the stock one created a bit of turbulence around my helmet.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ermax Touring Screen and Zero Gravity Double Bubble.

I find the Touring screen very good. Im 5'9".

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Although I prefer the looks of the old style fairing when coupled with a Ducati Designs headlight, the aerodynamics of the new style upper fairing is so much better. I once hit triple digits on my 01-ST4 in an isolated corner of Nevada just to see what it was like. I had to scrunch way down low below the wind screen to keep from getting blown off the bike. My thought was, "Where is the fun in this?"

A few years and (two bikes) later I did the same thing on an isloated stretch of road in Oregon on my 04-ST4s. There was no wind blast and triple digits felt like 60 mph, what I call "scary good."

·
Mr Leakered
8,944 Posts
I saw one-thirty once (the Wife was having some fun with what ended up being a 9mm x 6mm kidney stone and I needed to get home, or at least it was a great excuse). With the ZG SR screen, I could have cruised at that speed for hours. Having three lanes to myself was a good thing. Not to mention that the motor was making a glorious noise.

Hoping for no more kidney stones and no more kids will be on the way, but damn. . .

Have a good one.

·
19,081 Posts
Don't you just love a good excuse to play! :D

Just this past weekend mine was I'm getting ready for a long trip and decided to put my db killers in the mufflers. I was out testing it and decided I had to find out how much power it killed off on the top end. It was also one of the rare occasions when I didn't have a tank bag so I could get down behind the bubble but I did still have the side bags mounted. 140 on the speedo, 132 on the GPS and I could still hear Bad Company playing through the headphones loud and clear. :D

·
Mr Leakered
8,944 Posts
Definitely. Any excuse.

BTW, what's your top without the db killers?

That was 130-ish indicated. And I still had some more room. I need to get on the other side of the mountains and scout out some runs.

Have a good one.

·
19,081 Posts
Definitely. Any excuse.

BTW, what's your top without the db killers?

Have a good one.
I really don't know. I usually have a big tank bag and with that it struggles to go 130 on the speedo.

I do notice the db killers though. Above 6 or 7k it just doesn't rev as quickly. Not a huge difference but noticeable.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
I really don't know. I usually have a big tank bag and with that it struggles to go 130 on the speedo.

I do notice the db killers though. Above 6 or 7k it just doesn't rev as quickly. Not a huge difference but noticeable.
That doeen't seem right , 130 should come up real easy on the speedo , with or without a tank-bag , I have been accused of having a 'Nissan' sitting on the tank in the past and it has not affected top speed at this level.
Once saw 140 with TB , Panniers , Topcase and wife in Germany trying to make Gixer Thou work for the pass , dont like emaking it easy for these SBK guys LOL !

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Ermax Touring Screen and Zero Gravity Double Bubble.

I find the Touring screen very good. Im 5'9".
Just fitted the ZG DB and not only like the looks but seems to remove a little bit of helmet turbulence and draft coming upwards from the tank.
No doubt , as Bill says , the later model is way better at high speed than the earlier style. I think it would be possible to sit at 100+ for long periods if the opportunity arose.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Once saw 140 with TB , Panniers , Topcase and wife in Germany trying to make Gixer Thou work for the pass , dont like emaking it easy for these SBK guys LOL !
I did 155mph down the Autobahn in Germany last summer- man that was a rush!! I was worried it was gonna blow up however! My dad was on his Blackbird next to me and he bottled it at 145 and rolled off the throttle. So as far as I'm concerned- that was an awesome win!! And on the same trip did 140 fully loaded with panniers topbox, tailpack and tankbag- but that was too scary- really got a wobble on!!

·
19,081 Posts
That doeen't seem right , 130 should come up real easy on the speedo , with or without a tank-bag , I have been accused of having a 'Nissan' sitting on the tank in the past and it has not affected top speed at this level.
But I only have a "3".

AND it was at 6000' elevation. :)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Thanks for the screen feedback, im 5'9 as well, but more torso than legs.

I've seen an indicated 150 fwiw, my speedo is off by a pretty steady 8.2 mph. So id guess an actual 140ish on top. I get a very mild weave above 140 indicated.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've never ridden a >MY04, but my 03 ST4s had a taller touring windscreen that broke during a garage tip over. Heartbroken, I put on the oem windscreen and much to my pleasure discovered I liked it better. Sitting upright, at lower speeds, wind now hits me in the chest and eases the load on my abs and back. At higher speeds and a tucked in, I don't get any buffetting at all.

I've seen over 150MPH indicated a the track and it felt nice and stable. Can't say I'd want to go that fast with lugguge. :eek:

fwiw, I'm a smidgen taller than 5' 10".

1 - 20 of 24 Posts