Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I'm not being too picky, but I have a weird noise coming from my new SF 848. I don't know if this is a normal noise or not, my previous M796 and 1098 didn't make this noise.

When I'm around 4k-5K RPMs, the bike makes a weird rattle noise. It only makes the noise under power. When I let off the gas, or pull the clutch in, the noise goes away. It's very noticeable around 4-5K when just cruising around. Higher RPMs I don't hear it as much, but it could be hidden by the volume from the exhaust. It's not the chain, it's more towards the front of the bike. Also, I don't hear the noise when at idol.

This isn't crazy loud, but loud enough to where I find it very annoying when I ride. I've checked around the bike for loose screws, covers and everything is tight. Bike runs and drives perfect. It's not the sound of plastic vibrating, it's more of a metal rattle kind of a sound.

I'm curious if anyone has a similar sound on their SF, or maybe this is normal? I'm close to bringing it in, I just wanted to make sure I'm not being too picky first.

Thanks for any help or input.

2012 SF 848
Miles: 950

·
Registered
798 Posts
The intake noise can be quite noticeable under the conditions you describe. Has it always been there from new or has it recently developed? If recently developed I'd certainly make the dealer aware of it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've got a similar thing, I would have described it as a vibration noise (not feeling), but rattle is close too. Automotive noises are always tough to describe. It's always been there, presumed it was normal.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
duh. that rattling sound is your dry clutch :)

but seriously, my bike was doing something similar. the lock nut for the rear shock had come loose, and it only made that sound when gas off and lower rpms.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the dry clutch is so loud on these 848 SF's! :p

It doubt it's the lock nut on the rear strut. This sound only happens when there is throttle. Idol it's quiet. Plus the sound happens only from the front.

I really can't remember if it made this sound when I first bought the bike. The first 500+ miles were a blur with a shit grin on my face. ;) It's been the past 200+ miles I've really noticed it and been annoyed with it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've been trying to convince myself it's the key chain shaking around, but I do hear it too. For me it's coming from around the tank/front area. Could be any number of things rattling loose under there :rolleyes:

·
Registered
635 Posts
When I still had the factory exhaust (with functional exhaust valve) mine made some strange sounds at that RPM range and certain throttle positions/loads and at times those sounds seemed to be coming from the front as well, possibly resonating through the front cylinder header.

After replacing the exhaust (valve and servo motor removed) I don't hear any more unpleasant noises, and I assumed the valve itself or the way it changed the exhaust flow was the cause.

I can't experiment anymore obviously, but you may consider disconnecting the servo motor (electrically, at the connector) for a short ride to see if it has any effect. It's possible that something in the valve is rattling at that certain frequency and disconnecting the valve won't change it, but it's easy enough to try and see.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm wondering about the intake noise too. Not really a rattle, but a strange noise till you get used to it. Now I've run her in, I don't hear it so much. :D

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I'm relieved to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this noise. I'll try 3-Stroke's suggestion about disconnecting the servo motor. Maybe that will solve this mystery noise.

I'll be in California for the next 10 days on vacation. So I can't test this out till I get back. If anyone else tries this before then, please post your results on here. Thanks guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts