Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to change my oil yesterday and discovered that the K&N filter is stuck on the bike. The bolt on the bottom is now stripped and the thing refuses to budge. I don't want to do the screwdriver thing untill I hear any other suggestions from you guys. If the screwdriver method is all I got then I'd like tips from anyone that has done it.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Get a smaller socket and bash it over the rounded off nut.
i.e. if it's 15mm, try a 14mm socket, and use a 12 face socket, not a 6.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
HAHA, I did the screw driver thing. I even crushed the oil filter using a strap wrench. I eventually had to use a screwdriver. After almost ripping the filter in two. It finally loosened. Make sure you lube the gasket really well when putting on the new filter. Have fun :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
When all else fails. . .stick a screwdriver through it and yank 'er loose. Always worked for me whenever someone else overtightened oil filters on.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Big old fashion pipe wrench - works like a charm every time :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here's my favorite filter removal tool. It's not cheap, but stuck filters literally spin themselves off when they see you coming.

Otherwise, +3 on the screwdriver.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Damn, 90 Dollar pliers, my wallet ran as soon as I clicked the link. It had better unscrew the filter as soon as they see each other.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the advise. In the end it came down to the old school method of ramming screwdrivers in to it. I'm happy to announce it's off and I can ride again. What a pain in the ass! Anyone thathas this problem in the future don't be hesitant like I was to jamb a screwdriver through. Just keep it low and you'll be fine there is plenty of clearance below the threads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts