Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
So I purchased a 1993 900ss/sp with 15k miles a year or so ago and am in the process of swapping out the cracked aluminum swingarm with an ss/cr steel swingarm. Blasphemy I know but I've read so many accounts of people receiving 'verified' units that ended up being cracked, repaired units cracking, etc. so I just want to take this out of the equation. I doubt I'll really notice the performance difference and even if I do, it won't detract from how much I love this bike. So.. Is this a straight swap? Wheel, sprockets and tire are all standard ss/sp. I've searched and read a few different things regarding differences in sprocket and chain alignment requiring a conical shim in the rear or flipping the front sprocket around. Think I'll need to re-shim at the pivot? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
You will need the proper chain adjusters for the steel swingarm, re-shim and that's it.

The sprocket carrier stays the same as you are keeping the 5.50 rear wheel, same wheel spacers and everything. If you have the under-slung rear caliper I think you will end up with a steel pin doing nothing on the inside right side of the swingarm but no harm there. Because the rear wheel stays the same no change to the front sprocket either.

Anytime you change swingarms you need to check shimming but that should be it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts