Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Im new to this forum and have found it to be one of the best technical and mature/professional forums Ive come across. I true sign of the eliteness and passion of all the Ducati Owners out there. Im from Australia and have a 2007 ST3 which is my daily rider as I have never owned a car, only bikes. ST3 is the other love of my life, but at 5'7" tall, I have a short arm reach which gets a bit sore on the arms after a while. Ive done a lot of internet searching and only came up with Helibars as a solution for the ST3s. I believe the 2007 model came with higher factory risers than the earlier ST models, so does the advertised 11/2" taller & 11/4" more rearwards reffer to the earlier bar position or the 2007/2008 model version. If anyone has them mounted on the 2007/08 model could you please send me the extact height of the centre of the bars from the top of the fork tube (or the headset cross bar) and the position back from the centre of the forks. Also is there enough slack in the front brake hose or do Helibar supply an longer hose.
Ive read the earlier threads which mention being to high in the windstream, but I dont find this an issue when I sit up and touch the bars with my finger tips so as to test the position that I anticipate the bars to be at with the Helibars. The height of the bars is not as critical as the reach for me. Everything else on the ST3 is absolutely perfect and shes an absolute dream to ride every day.
Any comments or experiences with Helibars would be appreciated.

Regards
Dodge 1934

·
Registered
113 Posts
works for me

I installed a set of helis on my 2006 st3 earlier this year. I am also 5'7". Installation was easy and yes I had enough brake and clutch line to put the bars at the max height. Just be sure to follow the instructions and have a good torque wrench on hand. Bar risers seem well made and look good once installed. The handlebars do move the stated distance and did make a big difference for me. I still have my stock windshield and have no complaints on the wind blast. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
523 Posts
redbandit91 -
Any problems with clearance between the Helibars and the front fairing? Or is this a non-issue since the bars are now further back even though they are taller?
Thanks, Bill W.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Non issue

NO issue. Fit is perfect. I know the price sounds high but they really are well made.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks redbandit
I think I'll definitely order a set and give them a crack. Any chance of getting some measurement off you as where your bars sit, ie height and distance back throm the centre of the forks, as the helibar measurement only refer to the distance from the factory bar position, and I can t work out if thats taken from the pre 2007 model or 2007-08 model bar position.

·
Registered
165 Posts
HeliBars or Cycle Cat?

Hi Dodge_1934,

I have HeliBars on my 07 ST3s and at 5' 6" I still could use another inch of rearward positioning. This in spite of my longish arms so if you can endure for a bit more I'll do some measuring and get back to you. Your timing is good on this as only today I met with a bike authority figure (writes for a major bike mag & tests tons of equipment). We discussed this very issue and at the same time I tried to recollect the stats on another product manufactured by a company by the name of CycleCat. At least I think that's their name, will have to research it a bit as my aging memory doesn't always work well.

As I recall their product differs in that it not only provides set-back and vertical relocation, it also allows movement of the bar ends themselves. I'm keenly interested in that feature as I need another inch or so of rearward setback coupled with a bit more vertical. The vertical I can achieve with a lowering of the saddle but the setback has to come from the bars. In any event I'll get back to you on this forum.

Best,

LL

·
Registered
220 Posts
CycleCat

CycleCat is the correct name, see you're memory is still working:)
However thay are out of business:(

·
Registered
523 Posts
NO issue. Fit is perfect. I know the price sounds high but they really are well made.
Thanks. That's what I had hoped to hear. Have to give some serious thought about digging into the wallet.
Bill W.

·
Registered
259 Posts
DucsBill

Bill, of course you are always welcome to test out my bike with the Heli's installed. I installed a sargent seat like yours this week so it ought to be a great way to evaluate the heli's before you make a purchase decision.

Randy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts