Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice on drill bit size for stripped centerstand bolt. 1st bolt broke free no problem but the other just stripped the internal wrenching. now the flats are gone. Any advice from someone whos drilled it out what size bit you used or some other trick to try before i drill?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Apply heat then drive a Torx bit into what's left of the allen socket. That will more often than not work. You'll wreck the Torx bit but save a shedload of work.

·
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
2,958 Posts
sorry to hear that .. if you have managed to strip that bolt then my first thought is that you have used a slightly smaller than correct size head .. so then the above suggestion is your best bet - and use lots of heat ! I used a gas powered soldering iron to heat the sucker up

·
Registered
126 Posts
Man! if that doesnt work take it to a metal shop so the can weld a nut to it then just take it off that way. Im pretty sure you wont be able to drill it out. That metal is too strong.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thx for ideas. Tried a t50 was to small. T55 was to big to pound in. So i drilled in to it with a 9/32 titanium nitride bit and lots of oil at slow speed. Then the easy out went in deep enough to bite and got it out finally. I am really excited to see how much this bolt will cost.:eek:

·
Registered
602 Posts
No Drilling Required.

First, the stand will flex some giving the ability to pry, pull, and leverage off. The stand bolt is only threaded in the stand. The bolt is essentially a pin that slips into the frame.

When you get the center stand off the Multi, put it in a vice to hold it and use a pipe-wrench to grip the pin end of the bolt to remove.

Once you get the stand off you will see what I am talking about.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Also.

Cover the center-stand foot pedal with a rag to keep from scuffing/scratching the swingarm while convincing the stand to come off.

Be mindful of the direction you turn out the bolt.:think: When using a pipe-wrench on the pin side, you will need to turn it clockwise to remove.

Use a vise not a vice.:rolleyes:

Should be about a 10 minute job this way.

While you are right there you may want to slot the holes in the belly-pan. This will eliminate the need to remove the center-stand for oil/filter changes and cleaning.

·
Registered
472 Posts
While you are right there you may want to slot the holes in the belly-pan. This will eliminate the need to remove the center-stand for oil/filter changes and cleaning.
What do you mean by "slot the holes in the belly-pan"?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts