Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a chance at a 2001 748 BiPosto with 1,675 miles on it. It's at dealer. They had priced it at $5800 but told me to make them an offer. They've put zero effort into marketing the bike. I offered $4500. They came back with $4800. I'm going out there Wednesday to look at it and probably buy it. There is no service history on the bike. It is running and can be ridden. Pictures indicate a very clean and stock bike. Sage advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
797 Posts
With such low mileage it should be easy to verify to the original owner. Anyone can change speed-o's remember!
This is winter in a crap market for used or new bikes, maybe $4500 OTD. I think the price is toooo high..

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Even with that extremely low mileage, the belts must be replaced--they are way too old. Consider that. I think $4800 OTD is a very fair price if they replace the belts and everything else checks out.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are a Ducati dealer. I asked about service history and they said that they did not have any. The salesman said that they did not sell the bike originally. I suspect that they will not be willing to "do" anything to the bike in order to make the sale.

I'm OK with changing the belts myself. Maybe I can get them to throw the belts in? Thanks for the advice about the belts by the way.

What else should I look for?

·
Registered
953 Posts
They are a Ducati dealer. I asked about service history and they said that they did not have any. The salesman said that they did not sell the bike originally. I suspect that they will not be willing to "do" anything to the bike in order to make the sale.

I'm OK with changing the belts myself. Maybe I can get them to throw the belts in? Thanks for the advice about the belts by the way.

What else should I look for?
I wouldn't buy a 748...the age, the rockers, etc..unless it was a highly modded built bike.

I suggest to pass on this one. ;)

·
Registered
923 Posts
tell them you know of all the faults of the 748, then low ball more.

·
Registered
331 Posts
This time of year, and with this economy, I wouldn't pay over $4500 for that bike. The 748's are nice, but you can find others out there with service records for the same money. If you can't verify service records, or the dealer is not willing to toss in a full service I would be looking elsewhere. Leave them your name and phone number and the price you are willing to pay. When the bike has been sitting for a few months they will more than likely give you a call.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice! Keep it coming, if you've got more.

mbevans - good point about the odometer being correct.

nine16 - belts - good one

purspeed - Since I know what could go wrong - I have the advantage of being able to proactively change those things. I do understand your point though.

OldSkool - My bargaining stance is somewhat compromised since I offered $4500 after seeing picks. I probably should have started lower :(

Kawtippin - I'm in NJ and I have not found that many that are within 3 hours of me. I have seen other bikes for the price but they require shipping or a trip to Florida, Texas or California.

I'm going to see it on Wednesday. If I buy it, I'll bring it home and start taking it apart.

Thanks again for the guidance:)

·
Registered
63 Posts
ask the dealer for the vin # and plug it into carfax... that should verify how many owners the bike has had at the very least

·
Registered
953 Posts
purspeed - Since I know what could go wrong - I have the advantage of being able to proactively change those things. I do understand your point though.
It's not so much the labor but the parts that will "get ya."

If the rockers are bad, there goes a few thousand.

Also, from an "investment" standpoint, this bike should be avoided. Yes, yes, never buy anything with wheels or legs as an "investment," but it is nice for your assets to maintain its value to some degree. Who knows? You may decide to sell this bike some day.

This bike has no particular value from a collector standpoint.

Save a few more dollars and try to get a '94 916 if you are going for the older models. Then use your skills to bring the bike up to mint condition.

With the '94, you won't have to worry too much about the rockers and they are appreciating in value now that they are becoming "classics."

Again, avoid this buy.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts

Also, from an "investment" standpoint, this bike should be avoided. Yes, yes, never buy anything with wheels or legs as an "investment," but it is nice for your assets to maintain its value to some degree. Who knows? You may decide to sell this bike some day.

Save a few more dollars and try to get a '94 916 if you are going for the older models. Then use your skills to bring the bike up to mint condition.

With the '94, you won't have to worry too much about the rockers and they are appreciating in value now that they are becoming "classics."

Again, avoid this buy.
This is the best advice you could get. If you insist in a desmoquattro, and I won't go into the pro's and cons, you can do that yourself, you should be able to get a nice original '94 or '95 916 for around $6k to maybe $7k. You could easily end up with that much in this 748 easily. And then you would have a proper red one. Do do the research in the hall of wisdom, some excellent articles there re: older bikes and things to check.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995...ewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item255728caa2

FWIW you can get a nice second year 999 for under $7.5k if you are patient and have cash.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts

Again, avoid this buy.
For someone with 900 posts, there are a lot of inaccuracies. Did you ever even own a 748? Parts: "Thousands" for rockers? Yes, the 748's openers are prone to flaking (not the closers), but even if all eight went bad, megacycle replated and upgraded ones can be had for a grand total of $640. That's worst case scenario. Naturally, used ones can be had for even less. On my 25,000 mile bike I've replaced 3 rockers. Doing the labor myself, I've spent a grand total of less than $300 in parts--including those openers, shims, and belts.

The 748 should not be looked at as an investment or particularly collectable. Of course, in another 15 years what do you think one will be worth? I guarantee it will be a lot more than a 1999 CBR 600.

A '94 916 will be more collectable, but we're talking about something you want to ride, not put on display. I'm going to ride the hell out of my "truly collectable" SPS and have a giant grin on my face every time I do. What is that worth?

·
comrade moderator
27,055 Posts
You can get a well maintained 996 for $5000 plus shipping to the East coast...check the classifieds.

With the way this dealer dosen't want to lift a finger to sell, research or maintain this bike...that tells you everything you need to know.

If there is a doubt...there is no doubt.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow. :think: Man there sure are a lot of different views.

I spoke to a Ducati mechanic and he expressed no concerns with a 2001 748. I brought up everything that I've read here including the buyers guide stuff. I'll speak to another mechanic in a different state later today.

I'm taking everything I read here with a grain or two of salt. Ultimately I have to see the bike and evaluate it for myself. I tend to agree with nine16.

I'm buying a bike to ride and enjoy. I like the idea of exploiting the handling and not relying on the throttle to dig myself out of a hole.

That said I have another bike to ride and don't expect to put more than 2K a year on this bike. It'll be a Sunday bike.

Thanks to you all. I'll let you know what happens after I see it tomorrow.

·
Registered
205 Posts
In the past two years I've bought a used 996 and a used 748, neither of which had service records. Yes it was good to do the full service and change the belts, and one rocker on the 748 was bad, but all in all I think there's a lot of fear factor over nothing going on in these posts.

Are you buying the bike from Cross Country in Metuchen? If so, they did right by me. In any case, I suggest taking the bike to be looked at by someone who knows what to watch for. European Cycle Services up in Middletown has taken very good care of my 996 street bike and my 748 track bike.

As long as nothing really awful is wrong, you will make out ok. Suggest to the dealer that they at least cover the cost of the belts. WIth no service history they HAVE TO be changed.

PM me if you have any questions. And for what it's worth, the 748 is a super fun bike to ride. On track I really prefer the motor to my 996.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
I agree about the track part. I loved Road America, and with a big track like that, the 748 just ran out of steam in those long straights. However, I honestly prefer the 748 experience to my SPS on most tracks, like Gingerman. Very satisfying and less fear of the dreaded high-side coming out of those corners. I had no problems keeping up with the newer and more powerfull Japanese bikes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBMaKHjQfxo

·
Registered
63 Posts
This time of year, and with this economy, I wouldn't pay over $4500 for that bike. The 748's are nice, but you can find others out there with service records for the same money. If you can't verify service records, or the dealer is not willing to toss in a full service I would be looking elsewhere. Leave them your name and phone number and the price you are willing to pay. When the bike has been sitting for a few months they will more than likely give you a call.
I've been looking recently for a 916/996/998, and they're pretty thin on the ground......I don't know if it's because it isn't fully into winter yet so people haven't started thinking about selling them, or because they're getting less available now.......but I think it sounds like a pretty good price if it's genuine mileage & condition?

Or maybe I'm just getting impatient looking for the right bike!

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
I mentioned that I thought $4500 was fair for that bike in this market. Of course you can get cheaper, but once you start factoring in the other expenses like shipping, you're probably back to that level anyway. I don't see perfect, well-maintained and document 996's going for $5,000 flat, and I look. I think $5,800 is right about bottom end for a nice one. Of course there will be odd exception.

I agree that there might be a few less bikes out there because the market is so poor. What Ducati owner wants to take 75 cents on the dollar right now unless he really is desperate?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts