Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - sorry if this has been discussed before - but I am looking for a pre-loved Multi Pike's Peak. My question is whether it is better to save some money and go with a 2012-2014 or spend about 25-30% more for a 2015-2016. I am not a fan of the post 2017's.

I have heard about the dreaded dead spot in the RPM's at 5k but wondering which models that applies to - or all.

Also - I have historically been an Ohlins fan boy, but hear great things about the SkyHook system too.

Any advice is welcome!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Skyhook is Italian for "Snake Oil".

I love my 2017 1200s but I would walk barefoot through a paddock full of funnel webs to have Ohlins suspension on it.

Skyhook does have it's advantages, but depending on your weight and riding style you might feel it falls short.

DVT engine is fantastic and the extra electrickery on the post 15' bikes is brilliant.

I wished I had purchased a Pike's Peak.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
^^^^ 2012 was the best. Very lively engine, Öhlins suspension and the best color scheme.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm happy to hear the comments about the 2012. I have one(1200S) and love it, but it's the only Multi I have ever ridden.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 2014 PP and do enjoy it. The Skyhook is nice, not a game changer. I never noticed the flat spot on mine, but once I added a decat, I did. So a Rapid Bike was installed and it fixed everything. It feels like a proper sportscouch now.

I am interested in selling it though. I would like to get a boat as taking the entire family on the PP is a bit tough. Message me, if you want to chat, I'm in Cleveland Ohio. 2014 PP with around 15,000 ish miles. 15k Desmo has been completed. I don't think I put over a 2000 miles on it when I bought it 2 years ago. I am the second owner, bought it from a friend. Has engine covers, alt rider header cover, multiple wind screens, all 3 factory bags with liners. There's more, I'm sure.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Depends on how you ride. If you think of an MTS as a plus sized sportbike, the 2012 Pikes Peak was probably the best ever made; fully customizable Ohlins suspension, can be upgraded to the Mechatronics kit, more lively engine, more nimble than the DVT bikes.

If you want a sport touring bike, basically buy the latest model you can afford. Most of the changes Ducati have made to the MTS in the last 10 years made it a better touring rig, at the expense of some sporting character.

The 5k RPM dead spot was only completely cured with the 1260 motor. Ducati did an airbox mod in 2017 that helped, but it's still there.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
2016 PP all the way!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Having owned a 2010, a 2015, and now a 2019... the current gen is my favorite. Plenty of power (still), but the menu and features are more refined. And with the Pikes Peak, you’re still getting that cherry Ohlins. If you plan on doing any track days, the longer wheel base on the current gen feels more stable at higher speed than previous generations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts