Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I've finally got the suspension on my 1098s sorted to the point where I'm sorta happy, but I've noticed two things and I wanted to hear your guys thoughts on them.

I've been tinkering with various suspension settings. I've got the preload dialed in, as well as the compression and rebound on the front end through trial and error. The rear was bothering me until I softened the rebound quite significantly (like 6 clicks out from full soft).

Now I'm able to really dive smoothly and deeply in to fast sweepers as well as tight hairpins. To put things in to perspective, I put holes through a set of toe sliders in one day the first time out with my new suspension settings (yes, I tuck my boot up before entering the corner). On one hand I felt planted enough on the rear end to go faster (and thus lean the bike harder), but I also noticed the bike running a bit wider than I expected it to (at one point I was sandwiched between the bike and the asphalt with my elbow almost on the ground trying to hold a line that I felt could be taken a bit faster and tighter).

Here's the other thing, I don't know whether it is because I'm pushing the bike faster or because of the new rear setting, but I'm getting a lot more rear tire wear as well. Part of me wants to think its cause I'm going faster but the front tire is well behaved and isn't sluffing boogers off as much as the rear is now. Not only is the rear getting worn on the edges a lot more than the front, but it is also sluffing boogers off the center tread as well.

What do you guys think is going on? I'm going to try to find a balance between a slightly stiffer rear end and feel next time I'm out and see if that helps with both the running a bit wide issue and the rear tire wear.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can you post photos of the tire wear you are referring to? Usually you can tell what settings you need more or less of by looking at the tire wear pattern. Usually when my rear tire looks just about as smooth as a baby’s butt I know that the rear is working very well. Do you have fast and slow compression settings on your rear shock?

As far as the bike running wide, this appears to be an 848/1098 issue. I’ve read many good feedback stories about the plethora of offset triples available for the 848/1098 bikes in reference to the running wide issue. I can’t use the offset triples, so to solve that issue I added some front rebound damping to hold the front down longer in turns as well as play with the front and rear ride heights…my 848 likes to be up a bit high in the air. You may also want to try adding rear ride height bit by bit till you find a good stable setting. Make the changes separately and take good notes so that you can easily associate the setting changes with handling changes you notice.

There is a great suspension book on the market now that I have at home, but I can’t remember the name of it right now, it’s definitely a good read and helps you think of suspension in a dynamic manner instead of static.

You could bypass the above and give Dan Kyle a call or shoot him an email; he is very friendly, very knowledgeable and will be more than happy to help get you sorted out. He advised my on a good starting point for the front ride height and then advised my to adjust the rear ride height until I found a setting that held a line and was stable. The solution worked and at this point I'm fine tunning it.

I’m interested to hear what your solution(s) are,
Tifosi

·
Registered
285 Posts
What is the ride height set at in the rear and how did you measure it?
Where are the forks in the triples?
What is the sag front and rear?
What shock do you have? (stock?)
Is the suspension stock OEM?
What is the rear spring stiffness?

If you are shredding the rear tire everywhere you are too stiff and need to soften it up. But since you are already running wide, this will make it worse so you may also need to raise the rear or lower the front, or both.

It is not unusual to hang way off a Ducati, I think is is part of the ride, especially if you are riding the way you are describing. (BTW I hope you are doing this on a track...) Anyway, you might want to try raising the whole bike up a bit. If the front is already all the way up then just raise the rear and see what happens. If you can raise the front, try that and also rasie the rear by the same amount plus a little moe.

You can also raise the pegs.

If you are riding the way you describe you are going past what a off-the-shelf bike was prepared for. That is unless you weigh 165 lbs and are about 5'9". You should probably start a notebook with your settings, and record any changes and how it makes the bike feel. After some time and a lot of work, you will make progress.

·
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The suspension is the stock ohlins stuff. I'm 5'11" and just under 200lbs with gear on. I spoke with Dan Kyle and he said the springs that came in the forks are fine for my weight. I've got a 30mm offset triple that I'm gonna install once I get some free time, and I'm gonna do superbike valves as well.

As far as the rear goes, it is the stock ride height, and preload is dialed out as far as possible with the tools I've got (the shock body gets in the way during the last half a cm or so). I think part of my problem is that I've softened the rear up too much to compensate for that bear of a 2-up spring on the shock (which is a total bandaid solution).

My plan was to install the 30mm triples, then change the rear spring for something a bit softer, and then start adjusting the rear ride height.

Tifosi: My girlfriend's got the digital cam at the moment and my cell phone doesn't capture anything more revealing than a black hoop of rubber so I'll try and describe what the tire wear looks like. The boogers on the edge of the tire look like healthy tire wear. The surface is smooth and the boogers are little ~2mm fellas that you can rub off with the palm of your hand when the tire is hot. The closer you get to the center of the tire the chunkier and stickier the boogers get and when you pick them off the surface of the tire is bumpy and feathered in comparison.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well, your weight and height are the same as me. So, FWIW I did nothing at all to the front of my S, other than adjust the preload, compression and rebound. To get the front sag to 35mm, I had to put in ten turns of preload.

I bought the TTX and linear rocker with Sato link from Dan Kyle, works great, perfect tire wear. With that setup and Dan's recommended height I am on a 90 rear spring with compression 15 clicks out from full hard and rebound at 16. I have 25mm of sag in the rear.

Let me know how you like the triples, can't decide if I am going to go down that road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts