Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I am pulling the trigger on one of two new DVTs today. S Touring

1. What are the items I should get along with bike?
- manual
- two keys
- any key card/code like previous ducatis?
- extra lock mechanism to key match urban kit tail bag when I buy one?
- any bolts/plugs for

2. How do I check if it has latest software / upmap / firmware?

3. how do i know what recalls will apply to them?

any questions I am not asking?

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
You set the code... the seller should let you know what they set I to so you can change it.

You should be able to tell if it has the latest firmware by finding out when they last had it updated... I think you need to take it to a dealer to have it connected to their tool to actually know for sure. However... the easiest way to tell yourself is to test ride the bike and look for the 2nd gear hole (2nd gear at 35mph, hold speed for 5-10 seconds then try to accelerate hard... the old firmware will not let the bike pull hard and it's VERY easy to tell when it's doing it).

Recalls - kickstand, fuel sending unit (those are the only two that come to mind)... if they've not replaced the kickstand then I suggest doing it asap (can break and drop the bike). Fuel sending unit you can tell by looking at the label on the wire going to it (under the seat), the revision is listed there but I don't recall exactly what to look for off the top of my head (maybe someone else will remember).

Make sure the chain tension tool is still there... easy to lose if you forget to take it off after checking the chain.

Reactions: CopperHeadMonster

·
Registered
348 Posts
I think I am pulling the trigger on one of two new DVTs today. S Touring

1. What are the items I should get along with bike?
- manual
- two keys
- any key card/code like previous ducatis?
- extra lock mechanism to key match urban kit tail bag when I buy one?
- any bolts/plugs for
When I bought my DVT in October, I got

- a user manual
- a warranty booklet
- one black "active" ignition key
- one red "passive" ignition key
- three cylindrical locks, which match the ignition key, that can be installed in the luggage
- some useless tools
- a useless puncture repair kit
- the parts necessary to raise the seat (mine is in the lower position)
- a front fender extension

If the bike has engine guards installed, you should also get the original engine mount bolts. The only tool that might be worth having is the chain tension gauge. Supposedly it looks like a folded half-dollar; I'm still trying to get my dealer to cough one up. The owner's manual lists the tools that are supposed to be in the toolkit. My bike was missing a few, so if you're worried about that sort of stuff check the list against what actually comes with the bike.

As DaveNZ suggests, you'll want the current owner to give you the PIN for the ignition. You'll need it if the "active" key dies or if you need to start the bike with the passive key. Better yet, get him to reset the code to something like "1111" while you watch so you're sure you have the right PIN.

2. How do I check if it has latest software / upmap / firmware?
Take it to your dealer and have them check; there's no way to do it yourself AFAIK

3. how do i know what recalls will apply to them?
The Ducati USA website has a page where you can look-up recalls using the VIN:

Ducati - Current Recall Information

I would assume the website just shows official NTHSB recalls. I think there have only been two: 1) the side stand breaking and 2) the November ECU map (I think this was actually a "bulletin" or "advisory" not a recall?). There are other known issues (fuel sensor failing, display scratching, seat cover coming loose) that are well-known but generally handled as case-by-case warranty items through your local dealer.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I bought my DVT in October, I got

- a

The Ducati USA website has a page where you can look-up recalls using the VIN:

Ducati - Current Recall Information

I would assume the website just shows official NTHSB recalls. I think there have only been two: 1) the side stand breaking and 2) the November ECU map (I think this was actually a "bulletin" or "advisory" not a recall?). There are other known issues (fuel sensor failing, display scratching, seat cover coming loose) that are well-known but generally handled as case-by-case warranty items through your local dealer.
Thanks for the detail break break down.. Appreciate it. The vin number is not getting verified on Ducati site. Does it mean that it has no recall?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thanks for the detail break break down.. Appreciate it. The vin number is not getting verified on Ducati site. Does it mean that it has no recall?
When I put my VIN in it gave me basic info about my bike and told me there are no active recalls. Are you sure the VIN is correct?

I promise you that puncture repair kit is not useless - it saved my ass about 200 miles from home...
The Ducati-supplied plug kit left me stranded without cell service, 60 miles from home.

After ending up with a puncture in the rear tire, I installed one of the Safety Seal plugs and another passing rider used his mini-pump to inflate the tire to 30psi. The plug lasted all of 5 miles. Put in the second of three plugs, inflated the tire with 2 (out of 3) of the 16-gram CO2 cartridges and limped to a gas station where I abandoned the bike. Wasn't convinced I could make it through 50 miles of twisty mountain roads with one plug and one CO2 cartridge left.

Just for grins, I did an inflation test with the Ducati-supplied CO2 inflator. I put seven 16-gram cartridges into the 190/55-17 rear tire and got... 25psi. If you used an inflator better than the one Ducati supplies, you might get a 5psi bump out of each cartridge. So the three supplied cartridges would be good for a total of 15psi of inflation in the rear tire. Combine this inadequate inflation system with self-vulcanizing plugs that don't actually self-vulcanize and, as I found out the hard way, you've got a recipe for being stranded. That's my definition of useless...

·
Registered
600 Posts
I use CO2 when on a road or mountain bike and I buy the cheap 12 gram cartridges at kmart, wal-mart, target, etc... ususally sold for bb guns. The screw in cartridges are too expensive and do not do much for the volume in motorcycle tires. A dirt bike tire at relatively low pressures can be easily filled with a high volume mtb high volume pump, and what I carry in a pack when off road. I attempted to use my trusty blackburn on the MTS but due to valve placement and rotors I needed an extension hose. I use a Lezyne floor pump and looked to them for a mtb pump that may work and found they have a metal mini floor pump in High Volume and one that is High Pressure. They also offer it with a built in gauge or plain hose, both with a screw on valve head. I picked up the High Volume pump without the gauge since I carry a Meiser gauge with a right angle chuck and normally don't trust built in gauges.

This pump is light and stows easily in panniers, camelback or any pack. While it takes some time to fill a high volume tire from flat, it is easy to top off a tire when checking cold tires first thing, instead of riding and getting wrong cold pressures or an incompatible chuck on a gas stations. Lezyne is a great company that is available to call and get replacement o-rings, etc... Pumps are high quality and very happy with the 2 pumps I own, unlike the myriad Blackburn and Silca, etc... That are such a hassle to repair or service one ends up buying new ones.

http://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hv-microfldrhvg.php#.VyZeWb6_Yg8

Attachments

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
I could see a hand pump and CO2's as maybe a back up, but I'll take an electric pump any day.

Reactions: lemansiii

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I put my VIN in it gave me basic info about my bike and told me there are no active recalls. Are you sure the VIN is correct?

Yes the vin is correct.. It is on the frame and title and my insurance company recognized the bin and insured it. Strange.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts