Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to look at a 2012 Multistrada this weekend and was hoping for some advice on what to look for, this would be my first Ducati so I'm in the dark when it comes to what I should be looking for. Any serious known issues with the 2012's? How well does the bike do two-up with luggage, neither myself or my wife are lightweights, should I plan on needing some suspension work? Any other mandatory mods? Thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
Too short time to serious troubles. Don't forget to ask about actual PIN-code and write it carefully. Or change it immediately. Like Obama you can type 1234 or your credit card PIN like me :)
Take the second (red) key! If it ran more than 24000 km - take a look on service book about the desmodrome service.
I'm not faced with ageing problems in my MTS 2012 despite it lives outdoor.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Does this 2012 have ohlins suspension, because if it does you will need a heavier rear spring, great bike great for touring, just a little awkward in slow slow moving traffic, mines (2010) done 64000K 30,000 or more were 2up, great bike.

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
No big issues.
1. The 10-12 mts1200 engine is just as powerful as the modern DVT, but lacks the fueling needed to run well, so a remap is a good idea. It doesnt like 2500rpm or below really. After remap its silky though, so thats just a thing to do. Personally I´ve used a local contact here in Sweden that loads runs the bike on a dyno and does the changes in the ECU directly, but he also loads maps on ecu´s sent in. Authorized dealer and all, so no problem with sending the stuff to them. Just google tomtom multistrada ducati.

2. You going to need a heftier spring in the rear. Öhlins has one and any Ducati or Öhlins servicepoint should be able to hook you up.
Also seriosly consider the Öhlins aftermarket Mechatronics Suspension contrul unit (SCU). It turns the passive 10-12 Öhlins suspension into semiactive and its a GREAT mod. Top three without a doubt bang for the buck mods I´ve made!!

3.1 Then its a matter of luggage - Go OEM. Single key, variable size, fits and holds very nicely
3.2 Also wind - I´ve gone to a low model mini screen, but calsci and other make aftermarket higher screens that some love. I have a CalSci medium and it eliminated all wind up to 100mph on my 6´1", 54 inseam, schuberth C3 helmeted body
3.3 Gearing! You can buy a 14T front or 42T rear in 530 pitch. I went with 15/42 and 530 to save on the chain and I love it! LOVE it. Bike doesnt miss a beat and responds like a champ even at sub 2500rpm. Still tops out over 155mph.

My top three mods
1. Mapped fueling - Italia Bike center in Sweden, Tuneboy, Fatducs, others? Search.
2. Öhlins SCU - Any dealer or Öhlins service point
3. Low windscreen/gearing/OEM topbox

Reactions: Anakin

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
As it was the third identical MY, I think the '12s are the best sorted year for these bikes. With the exception of one or two leftover issues that popped up (clunking in forks and throttle housing replacement) all of the teething issues seem to have been sorted on the '12s. Check the VIN with a dealer to make sure all updates were done along the way, along with regular servicing.

Only functional mods I've done to my '12 have been Aztec spacers to the windscreen to improve wind noise, fatducs to improve low end fueling, and the Ohlins suspension ECU. The bike had been rock solid for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies and keep them coming. I should of mentioned that it's got a Leo Vince mid-pipe and Tuneboy cc but I'm not positive if it has the whole Tuneboy system. He said it has Tuneboy with cc so that makes me think it has the tuner package as well, I'll find out in a few days I guess when I look at it. He also said that all recalls and service are up to date. The bike has the manual suspension, the replacement Öhlins Mechatronics System looks great but I'm guessing a little pricey, how's the rear spring in the manual suspension?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a 12 MTS and absolutely love it. It's one of the few bikes I've owned in my life that I plan on keeping.

I must have purchased a bike made on a wednesday or something because I can take mine all the way to an idle in any gear, wick the throttle gently or WOT and it just accelerates. No hesitation, no stumbling, no complaining.. it just goes. In fact, it works considerably better at low RPMs than my KTM 990 Adv, a bike that I wish would run well at lower RPM! I've done lots of long distance road trips and have had zero issues.

I also suggest going OEM. I found a used set of GT panniers shortly after the GT was released (Guy purchased a GT, took the top and sides off, dropped the bike enough to total it and sold me the panniers for a decent deal). I bought a set of Ducati pannier liners for the GT and found they had an expandable section so I could use them in either the GT panniers or the stock (small) panniers.

100% amazing bike. You'll love it if you purchase it!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Thanks for all the replies and keep them coming. I should of mentioned that it's got a Leo Vince mid-pipe and Tuneboy cc but I'm not positive if it has the whole Tuneboy system. He said it has Tuneboy with cc so that makes me think it has the tuner package as well, I'll find out in a few days I guess when I look at it. He also said that all recalls and service are up to date. The bike has the manual suspension, the replacement Öhlins Mechatronics System looks great but I'm guessing a little pricey, how's the rear spring in the manual suspension?
For the manual suspension, if you ride 2 up you'll need a spring or shock, I added and Ohlins TTX with the heavier spring as I ride 2 up often. I may redo the front end at some point as well.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You'll probably want a stiffer rear spring on the non-Ohlins shock, but actually its a plus- less likely to fail and cost big bux.

If it has the tuneboy and has been mapped for the exhaust it should run very well indeed. Agree with the regearing rec- I also went with a 15/42 when I went for a new chain, and with the Tuneboy it pulls like a frieght train from down low.
You can also get larger saddlebag lids to increase your luggage capacity.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
As it was the third identical MY, I think the '12s are the best sorted year for these bikes.
+1. I maintain that after 2012, Ducati/Audi just kept going cheaper and cheaper on parts and quality. Little things here and there that just kept going south. The '13 - '14 bikes may have smoother fueling at low speed - in stock vs stock form only - but I prefer the more raw, visceral feel of my '12.

Like many folks here, I've owned a lot of bikes - usually go through one every two years or so - but this one is hard to let go, and I've been looking for a new bike for a while. Yeah, it has its flaws - it is a Ducati after all LOL - but damn it has some serious soul to it.

FWIW, I also have the stiffer rear spring, the SCU, TuneBoy CC, Leo Vince mid-pipe, and all other usual suspects.

Good luck!

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
I'm another '12 owner with nothing but good to say about the bike although I have had to deal with a couple of known issues so I'm going to throw down a couple of the major things to be aware of. There are other items but these two are (so say I) the big ones. The little stuff.....heated grips failure, fuel sensor etc., once fixed tend to stay fixed.

1. These bikes suffered a fair amount of tank expansion. You can tell if the bike you're looking at has an expanded tank by looking at the filler assembly. It should be flush with the beauty panel. If it isn't. it will look like this to a lesser or greater extent:

Note that the trim ring is not flush to the top of the tank. If not corrected (and the "correction is replacement) this condition can continue to get worse ultimately breaking the side or top panel.

I would not buy a bike with an expanded tank unless the price took that into account. Ducati has been good about replacing expanded tanks but I am not sure how that would wash for a second hand bike out of warranty. A permanent fix (should it need a new tank) is to get the replacement Caswell coated.

2. Some of these bikes were subject to a corrosion issue that resulted in top end failure. It was due to the factory using the wrong antifreeze. Check service records on your bike to make sure it had the correct product installed. It's kind of complicated....ask if you have additional questions, or search the forum using keywords: 'porous head'. Early replacement of the of the bad antifreeze is a 100% fix.

Otherwise, these bikes may have had a few issues but overall they are great rides. Like other guys here, I'm keeping mine for the duration.

·
Registered
2012 MS 1200s Touring
10 Posts
I find the 2 up with bags very top heavy and We are not heavy individuals. Much easier ride on flat but be careful when stop and go in hilly areas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts