Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

i want to change the ignition key cover.

From the look alone it seems to be another easy 5min job turning into a pain-in-the-ass-f***you-ducati job as they used rounded "nuts" (see picture) that holds the key cover. Most certainly they used super dupper glue as well, so that you ruin the nut as well as the threads in the upper tripple....

Of course the workshop manual shows a completely different mounting, than found on the bike and the round nut has to go before you can use the upper nut to remove the whole thing from the tripple.

Is there a trick to remove the ignition from the top tripple without using brute force?
Thanks for a tip!

Andreas

Attachments

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I used a small pair of vice grips for mine, it is not a quick job and will take a while

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
@shivertown1
@PepeC

thanks for the input. It already helps to know that it is REALLY not a 5min job, I wasn't sure wether it is OEM that way or some sort of "special solution" from the 1st owner :).

PS: This is the new cover. It was meant to be used as a cover, but the fit was so-so-la-la, meaning very tight, not covering the whole part etc., so i decided to use it as a stand alone part. (Chrome) Covers are more for the harley guys anyway :). I constructed a small piece of plastic to fill the gap and helps to secure the screw holes as well as the are very tiny on the carbon part. A lot of grinding, sanding was needed ... i will most certainly add another two layers of clear coat than it should look perfect. Together with the above "problem" a lot of work for such a small part... as always

PPS: As i run a Ignijet ECU i don't need the immobiliser antenna refitted. The antenna will remain on the OEM part and stored away in the growing box of leftover OEM parts...

Best,
Andreas

Attachments

·
Registered
631 Posts
What model SC is this its completely different to what I have on my SC1000bp ?

Not to rub salt in the wound but my cover is held on with 2 small dome capped nuts

like this

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What model SC is this its completely different to what I have on my SC1000bp ?

Not to rub salt in the wound but my cover is held on with 2 small dome capped nuts

like this
Lucky YOU ... covers are different on the various SCs, the cover above fits the Paul Smart (hopefully :) haven't had the time to manage the operation yet.

Andreas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts