Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Showa fully adjustable forks from a '99-'01 900SS that I'm in the process of re-springing, to set up on my 2003 Monster 800. I bought a set of Race Tech springs (0.85 kg/mm) which came with a section of 1.375"-OD aluminum thin-wall tubing for spacers, plus some washers.

The Race Tech site says that the install, "Requires (2) FPSS 02 spacers (not included in spring kit)." I've called Race Tech twice and left messages - no call-back. So I'm hoping someone here has been down this road and can tell me what is up with these not-included spacers... Maybe I could fabricate them if I knew what they looked like.

And one more question: are spring spacers typically supposed to go above or below the spring?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The after-market springs I have bought so far have been either longer or shorter than the stock depending on bike/fork mdl. I also received a long section of Al tube with one order from RaceTech, but not on the subsequent ones. I just sourced some Al tube and cut them to size to take up the spring length difference and replaced the entire original spacer. This made the swap process much more cumbersome and frustrating. It is disappointing RT doesn't supply the correct spacer, pre-cut to size to make the swap a one-shot deal.

On the other hand, GP Suspension supplies their springs with the spacers of the correct size so the install is very straight forward. Their spring cost is comprable to RT. GP instructs you to place the spacer below the spring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My RT kit did not come with spacers. I used thick wall PVC pipe from Home Depot with a washer between spacer and spring. Cut the spacers so you get 10mm preload when all is assembled. My spacers was 70mm on my 99 900 SS ie.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for your responses. It seemed like the bottom of the spring would be a better location for the spacer.

I'm not happy with all the claptrap associated with RT's spacer system - the washers and the thin-wall tube. Think I'll make some out of Sch 40 aluminum pipe, no washers.

The next problem/issue is that the RT springs are smaller in diameter than the originals. When I drop them in the tube, over the damper rod and past the valve, there doesn't appear to be any interference. But it would be comforting to hear from anyone who's used RT springs in this fork and experienced no problems.

·
Registered
722 Posts
We use the Racetech springs but watch the ID on that set of forks. I like to use the larger Dia. spring than RT specs and I put the spacers at the bottom so that the plastic parts that are part of the Showa design on that bike stay intact It is important that the fork springs do not contact the cartridge shoulder of you will get metallic swarf in your fork oil. On the older 41mm forks we found that we had to have custom springs wound to meet the needs of diameter and length for the spring. With that spring, no spacers or changes are needed. The Racetech instructions explain how to set the proper pre-load and you want to use the part they specify as for "internal top out". the supplied aluminum tubing is fine. Just make sure you make your ends square (we face them in a lathe).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts