Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I rode an old SV650 a while back and I'm considering upgrading to my first Ducati. I'm more of a realistic easy rider and I figure the ST4 would be my ideal motorcycle. There's an ST4 I have my eye on in the neighborhood, but since I don't know much about the bike I was hoping to get some tips from the pros. It's a 2000 model with about 20K+ miles on it. Three owners, dropped once, but looks in pretty good condition. Some mods quoted by the owner include "full-floating front rotors, switched cooling fan, Corbin seat, gel battery, and 520 performance sprockets and chain". Asking $3950, but probably will negotiate.

Is this a fair deal? I searched the forums and it seems in the ballpark, but wasn't sure how the mods and owners would affect the price.

I appreciate your help in advance. This is a wonderful, friendly forum.

·
Registered
101 Posts
There is a wealth of information on this site from a lot of smart people on ST's. Especially the sticky about the differences in each model which you should check out if you have not already. I am only beginning my knowledge but I will throw in my .02 cents.
It sounds like a good price depending on what kind of shape it is in and if the maintenance is up to date. You could probably have him come down a few hundred. W/out photos we can't judge by appearance. For what its worth, I purchased an 04 ST4s w/2200 miles in like new condition with some mods for 8500. Mods don't necessarily raise the price/value but if they are things you would have done anyway then it makes things easier.
Good luck and hopefully we can welcome you to the club.

·
Registered
84 Posts
One thing that is true about all the Ducs I have ridden is that they like the open road. If you are planning to ride in the twisties regularly, then the Duc is the bike for you. If you are planning to ride around town much, the Duc will likely be less comfortable than the SV.

You have definitely hit the best set of information on the internet with respect to the ST line; welcome!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
It sure sounds like a good deal to me. The full floating rotors is a big plus, many have trouble with the rotors. I like my Corbin seat too. I don't know what a performance chain and sprocket is though. I put a DiD 525 top of the line with stock sprockets and it's holding up very well. Those are expendable items though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an '00 ST4, I love it, but be cautious, have the oil screen checked for flaking rockers. That is the most costly problem with the ST4. Inquire if any have been replaced or refaced. If not you may want to look for another bike, as they will surely be failing soon with the amount of miles on that bike. This bike handles incredibly well and is great on long trips too. I took mine down the east coast with passenger and full panniers 2700mi, barring rain it was great. With a large load the front wheel lightens up a bit.

For your first Ducati, take these words to heart:
1. Do you have vast financial resources to invest and maintain your machine?
2. Do you like to tinker constantly on your own bike?
3. Do you use your bike primarily for short trips or commuting?
4. If you say no to any or all of the above, a Ducati may not be for you, try a BMW...or welcome to the club!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I have an '00 ST4, I love it, but be cautious, have the oil screen checked for flaking rockers. That is the most costly problem with the ST4. Inquire if any have been replaced or refaced. If not you may want to look for another bike, as they will surely be failing soon with the amount of miles on that bike.

1. Do you have vast financial resources to invest and maintain your machine?
2. Do you like to tinker constantly on your own bike?
3. Do you use your bike primarily for short trips or commuting?
4. If you say no to any or all of the above, a Ducati may not be for you, try a BMW...or welcome to the club!
Checking the oil screen is no guarantee that they aren't flaking but not all of these will develope the problem. Vast financial resources to maintain them? I suppose if the dealer does it all. Mine has been fairly inexpensive so far. The valve adjustment is a consideration but I don't need to constantly tinker with the bike. Touring bikes aren't for short trips but I wouldn't rule out the whole brand for it, they have models for that. A Beemer for cheaper maintainance? Oh please.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, that is incredibly useful information. Unfortunately the bike I was looking at got picked up by someone else before I found time to finish the deal myself. Looks like these machines sell fast! Until I find the next one, to answer some of your questions - I'd prefer not having to spend "vast financial resources" on the bike, but I'm cognizant of the fact it's going to cost me a lot more than my old SV650 and am prepared for that. A colleague at my workplace owns an ST3 and he's quite happy with how little he has to spend on the bike. I do expect to use the bike on the open road, but most of my commuting will be shorter 10-20 mile suburban trips. Given that fact, would you suggest a 900SS may be a better bet for me? There are a couple of those for sale within my area. I would love to have a Sport Classic Biposto, but not only are these out of my budget, I'm not very keen on the extreme riding position. There are many Monsters for sale in the area, but they really don't do anything for me. Nothing gets my toes curled up quite like an ST3/4 or a Sport Classic.

Thanks again for all your advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey desiduc...

Just to throw my point of view out there - I've been on a 2002 ST4s for about 5 months now. I came from an SV650 as well (in fact, I still frequent the SVRider forums). I sometimes miss the little SV, but these ST bikes are great. MUCH more comfortable bike. I can ride the ST4s all day and it doesn't bother me, whereas a few hour ride on the SV would leave my legs and seat in pain. The ST is a very planted bike in the twisties, and can handle the task quite well. Good luck finding the right one!

I think you'll enjoy your "upgrade". I know I have...although I still may get another SV650 someday to use as a track bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts