Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
posting for a friend - he's looking at a few 1100's on craigslist and had asked me about any particular issues to look for, etc.. i know there was the tank expansion issue for some of the early multis, but wondering if there'a anything else, besides the usual used bike red flags, that he should know off the bat.

one of the bikes is a low milage (11k) 2007. a few signs of wear, but in generally decent shape for a 13yo bike.

he's digging into the usual reviews and usual info, but any tips from this bunch is much appreciated. tia.

·
Premium Member
5,431 Posts
1000's have valve guide issues , 1100's did not though valve guides are a wear item and all engines wear them at some point. Many 1000's had guides fixed under warranty so they could be fine either way.
plastic tanks all suck does not matter the year ,make or model.
aftermarket parts are getting hard to find so if he wants a exhaust he may be better off buying a bike with one already. Same with hard bags.
mid 2000's ducatis had some pump wiring issues on all models but it is relatively rare , that said I have 2 multi 1000's in my shop right now getting pump harnesses and I did my 1000 last year.
Gas gauges do not read accurate, they tell you you are empty when about 1/2 full.
Ohlins fork seals on a S model needs seals more often than the showa forks and can be prone to tube wear.
I find the stock suspension when sprung properly works great on either model.
mirror/turnsignal things can be fragile.

I rode them at the dealer I worked at when they came out and waited for them to get cheap before buying mine, it was a mess and would have cost too much if I did not do this for a living. buy a good one and there are plenty to choose from and he should be quite happy. They are nothing to look at but I still find them to be a great bad road bike and excellent 2-up bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Over a period of 9 years I had a 1000 and an 1100 (both std model, never missed the ohlins, I must say), I highly recommend the latter. Wet clutch is lighter and hassle-free, fuel gauge works and most niggles of the 1000 are ironed out. I had my 1100 for 5 years and did many two-up trips from weekends away to fully loaded two-week holidays, it's excellent for that kind of use.
Very quick bike in the right hands, it's a great tool to humiliate Power Rangers on tight twisties.

No idea if your friend is familiar with Ducatis, but the 1st gen Multi is still an "old school" Ducati in many respects, some small things need semi-frequent inspection and attention, so it's not a bike you can put petrol in and forget about. On the other hand, it's very easy to work on (if not quick, since you have to strip the whole bike to get to things like the air filter).

As for what to check, here's my list (beyond the obvious, service history and whatnot):
  • hesitation when starting (mostly an easy fix, but good to haggle down price)
  • rear light, sometimes bulbs partly pop out and burn the plastic housing
  • forks, if damaged by stone chips or brake line rubbing, forks will "flake". Not structural, but ugly, this is what the forks on my 1000 looked like.
  • sidestand bracket, is there any play? That's a weak spot for Multis, the bracket bolt loosens out and chews up the threads, which is a PITA as the hole is directly in the crankcase. In very rare occasions, the crankcase can crack, if the problem has been left to fester for too long. If there is a small bit of play, drive down the price, then fix it with a helicoil, if there is sign of serious crankcase damage walk away.
  • final drive cush rubbers, sometimes they come out and chew up the rear wheel hub. This is from another thread on this forum, not pretty
  • Make sure to get the red key AND the code card

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I bought my 07' new and have about 25k on it now. I've done a set of fork seals, and a starter sprag for repairs. I think the sprag damage was mostly from continued use of a marginal battery. Overall a great bike. I did change the bars to Rizoma for a more comfortable bend and took the gaudy mufflers off for a Zard.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Great posts. I've had an 1100 for about 4 years - mine is an '09 S model - and love it. As Multirlanda pointed out, it's "old school". You need to check belt tension and replace belts at least every other year, valve inspection/adjustment is every 7500mi/12000km. But it's air-cooled and simple to work on. Once you figure out where all 85 screws are to remove all the plastic, and the easiest way to drain and remove your gas tank to get at the air filter, it's a piece of cake. Mine has never failed to start, although I wonder every time if this time will be the first. Even in cold weather it seems to have a hard time cranking, but I've had a few Ducatis and I'm used to this. Weird about the sidestand bolt backing out, but it happened on mine. Just check it regularly. You can still get a Zard exhaust new, but things like luggage is rare - no new stuff is being made for these bikes. I only run ethanol-free fuel and my tank is fine. I haven't broken a mirror but the previous owner of my bike broke a few - I got a box of them with the bike.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Good points by all. The bad valve guides were mostly on 2003-4 bikes. Some 2005s had them, but those were early production & likely motors assembled in 2004. I am not aware of any 2006 bikes with the issue. If the valve guides were replaced, it’s a non-issue.

CA Cycleworks sells an ethanol/water resistant tank. It’s not cheap but puts that issue to rest.

I had two 1000DS & always preferred the 1000DS to the 1100. I loved the dry clutch with an open cover & the 1000 always felt a little more “revvy” & livelythan the smoother 1100. Really it’s a matter of taste & quite subjective.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I bought an ‘07 1100S, w/14,000 miles on her, as a project bike. I’ve put 6,000 miles on her last year with only 3 issues:
1) tach doesn’t work
2) instrument cluster ALWAYS reverts back to EU setting after the bike sits for an hour
3) every once in awhile, when I hit the starter button, there’s a loud ‘bang’....sprag starter issue?

The bike is a pure delight to ride (my other bike is a ‘12 MTS).

·
Registered
309 Posts
Take your time and read everything here, its all good info.

One thing I didn't see mentioned was the early 1000's subframes tend to drack if you have a heavy top case or passenger and topcase, etc. The solution was to simply have a welder re-weld it with braces and then paint over it. I believe in most, if not all, cases this wasn't an issue after the fix or on the 1100's

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you all for the great advice! i told him this would be the place to ask - and you guys proved me right. i'll keep you posted - we may have another member here soon ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
2005 Multistrada 1000S - Purchased new. A few problems all resolved.

1) OEM mirrors are bad. Fragile and they vibrate too much to be useful.
2) At 600 mi Service the Tech updated the fuel map per Ducati and it ran way too lean. Took forever to sort. (If it is not broke don't fix it).
3) Never had the value guide problem.
4) Swollen task replaced under warranty. Fuel pump opening crack discovered during fuel filter replacement.
5) Always, always, always, use Startron (or another fuel additive) to protect the tank from swelling due to ethanol.
6) Last major service (indie shop) - tank warping around the fuel pump opening discovered after fuel filter replacement.
Would not reseal. Needed carefully applied heat to sort out (my suggestion ). Bike would be totaled if not resolved.
7) My local independent shop provides the best service, couple of former ducati techs.
8) Always kept up with service.

A swollen ethanol damaged tank is the most serious problem to look out for.
1) Leaking around fuel seal, 2) Misalignment of tank to frame under seat and looseness of passenger seat.
Think very carefully before considering a fuel filter replacement.

Still runs great !!!!
Mivv exhaust - Sounds Great !!!!
More power than I could ever use on the street.

·
Registered
3 Posts
"Yes" to all of the above. Mine is an '09 1100S, and it's awesome. I've put a little over 30K miles on her, including multiple 1500+ mile trips. Power deliver is smooth and mild enough that you can twist the grip to the stops and not worry about the front end standing up (just lean into her a bit). Handles like a sport bike with Ohlins + Brembos. I've logged many 500+ mile days, including a 900 miler, and she responds admirably. Wind protection is less than spectacular, especially if the rider is accustomed to bikes with larger fairings. And yes, maintenance is 3X that of its Japanese counterparts, but then again, those bikes don't receive the same level of attention as my little Multi.

Crazy thing? People that don't like motorcycles like my MTS. The design that irks many a motorcyclist has the opposite effect on others. I can't explain it, but it's true.

So tell your buddy to go for it! What does he have to lose? Sure, it can be a bit frustrating at times, but she's never let me down, and I've learned to accept her idiosyncrasies. Nobody's perfect...

·
Registered
256 Posts
1000's have valve guide issues , 1100's did not though valve guides are a wear item and all engines wear them at some point. Many 1000's had guides fixed under warranty so they could be fine either way.
plastic tanks all suck does not matter the year ,make or model.
aftermarket parts are getting hard to find so if he wants a exhaust he may be better off buying a bike with one already. Same with hard bags.
mid 2000's ducatis had some pump wiring issues on all models but it is relatively rare , that said I have 2 multi 1000's in my shop right now getting pump harnesses and I did my 1000 last year.
Gas gauges do not read accurate, they tell you you are empty when about 1/2 full.
Ohlins fork seals on a S model needs seals more often than the showa forks and can be prone to tube wear.
I find the stock suspension when sprung properly works great on either model.
mirror/turnsignal things can be fragile.

I rode them at the dealer I worked at when they came out and waited for them to get cheap before buying mine, it was a mess and would have cost too much if I did not do this for a living. buy a good one and there are plenty to choose from and he should be quite happy. They are nothing to look at but I still find them to be a great bad road bike and excellent 2-up bike.
This mirrors my history with the Multi as well. Was working at a dealer and racing when they came out and took our silver demo out for trackdays and had a blast ripping around on it. Always enjoyed these for their all around performance and worked on a few nice ones over the years.

Came across a 2008 1100S while visiting friends on the coast that was in need of some tlc, worked out a fair deal and came away with my first wet clutch Duc. Only 7k, body in very nice conditon (lots of wax buildup in all the nooks) but grungy just about everywhere else. Mostly stock other than the DP Givi bags, centerstand and Sargent seats. Was hoping to find a good deal on a full system and I'm a sucker for a nice full system - Arrow, Sil/FBF, etc but found a Termignoni slip on to install for now. Parts just arrived so on to servicing, fixing the niggles, thorough detail + a few mods and then ripping around the mountains.

The newer mirrors have improved stalks that supposedly won't break and I just ordered some new OE mirrors to replace the DP mirrors that came on it and sold.

An underrated bike by many.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had a black 08 1100s with a full arrow system. I had zero issues after 45000klms, did the fork seals once, serviced on time. I loved that bike and the only reason I sold it was for 2 up comfort and bought a16 PP. I love the PP but not the same way I loved the 1100 and regret selling it a bit. If I was solo all the time I would of kept it. Buy it if it’s a good one!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts