Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
:(:(.... Covid convict for another week....all of SE Qld is in lockdown.... (n)...... oh well, I had expected it, the Delta strain moves faster than a speeding politician, and seems to be a lot smarter than them too :LOL:. Anyway, lockdown it is until 4pm Sunday at the earliest.....hmmm, what to do, oil change and tyres done, I need a hair cut (actually I need them all cut :ROFLMAO: especially the grey ones ;))......... geeze can't even visit the hardware store to do some home repairs...... oh well, watch TV or annoy the forum with more pics a mate just sent to me.......... :devilish:

At last I have a pic of my sad self perched on my tallboy....... though had I realized my buddy was taking a shot I would have lifted my leg onto the peg to look better....... warning, this vision may make babies cry and women run away and it could scar you for life.......
Be thankful you don’t live in N.S.W with all those anti vac offended types , I’m lucky down here in Taz we have that stretch of water that makes it harder for those disease ridden spreaders to get here , I know it’s not a multistrada but just done a service on my 1199 Panigale and my 900 s2 bevel all on the same day , not sure my back is overly happy about it but one day I’m going to treat myself to one of those fancy bike lift things so I can do my servicing without grovelling trying to find something to pull myself up off the floor again 🙁 the pains of growing old .

·
Registered
2021 Multistrada V4S Radar & Travel Pack
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
;)...... I know that feeling oh so well...... scrabbling around on cold concrete floors, and moaning about sore back & knees when done servicing/cleaning/adjusting chains......... I'd like one of those bike lift stands (or a rolling center lift stand) if I had the room in my crowded garage for it(y) Hmmm, bigger house and garage I hear you say.......

:LOL:..... I see in today's news a selfish NSW recalcitrant tried to cheat his way into TAS, so your Premier is considering a lockdown because of that idiots attitude...... well done for deporting him back to NSW! Hope you got rid of him before anyone picked up the virus.

Shame on the Federal liberals for going slow on the vaccine rollout (probably because they simply didn't believe cv19 was real in 2020 - like Boris Johnston and Donald Pluck-a-Duck ;) - they said it's just a sniffle, man up........).

The elephant in the room in all discussions is that hospitals are becoming short staffed.

Yesterday's QLD covid update from our Chief Med Officer revealed one of our major Brissy hospitals had no cardiac surgeons on duty as they had >400 staff in 14 day isolation....... so to the "let it rip" supporters, be prepared to go it alone if you get sick as our hospitals would run out of staff in a matter of days after an outbreak. Great plan!

Best wishes from Brissy....... there are a lot of cars driving past my residence (must be essential workers or food shoppers or medical cases :unsure: ).... I think my suburb is fairly safe, but how would anyone know if it had a sneaky visitor from a hot spot :unsure:...... or NSW :ROFLMAO:.........Remember the Ruby Princess :LOL: debarkle in 2020!

Good onya Gladys......no need to test passengers from a cruise ship infected with cv19 eh... :censored: .

(y)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Another lovely day for motorcycling in paradise......... (y)

Filled up the big Kahuna and made the rendezvous on time through the morning rush hour for workers. Seven Ducati's on the starting grid. Back roads to Advancetown and then a little known challenging route up the mountain (Guanaba rd). That surprised a few...... very STEEP climb...... switch backs needed 1st gear and slipping clutches...... :devilish:. We all made it, and that was the opening topic of conversation when we got to the Flying Bean Cafe on Beechmont........

Never a dull moment when I'm leading...... though I have been known to get lost occasionally........ :ROFLMAO:

Magnificent day out...... had a :coffee:+carrot cake+cream, then a fang down to Canungra for some french toast at Cafe metz (y)

So now I have to shed 6kg's of my personal body weight to compensate for the 6kg's of crash bars i put on the V4 :(.

Night before I rode to the Ducati Club monthly meeting as it felt like a beautiful summer evening (yet it is still supposed to be winter!)...... and lo and behold, in the darkness, outside the pub, strange things materialized while we were inside eating and all talking at once (hadn't seen each other due to lockdowns etc)........

V4MS heading for 8k kms now.

Memo to self...... time rides so that we don't have to follow slow moving water trucks, or Coles delivery vans in nice twisty roads...... at least we got a good blast down the range from Beechmont to Canungra...... the V4 smooths out the lumps and bumps with ease :D

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
:eek:...... early start for a 7.30am meet and 8am departure for roads not often travelled..... and I'm only just 'not late'..... but..... I've gotta pit for fuel as I'm very low on gas, and I have to get from the eastern edge of Brissy to Carseldine in 30mins....... ahhhhh, $35 of Shell V8 power goes in and I'm at the rendezed-o-vous point just in time for the riders briefing..... something like, turn left here and go up some road I forget what it's called, and turn right....blah blah...... oh well, it'll be interesting trying to keep 35bikes from getting lost......... :ROFLMAO:.

We nearly lost half the crew at Bli Bli (including me) but victory was snatched from the jaws of defeat and we all arrived to get fuel for the small tanks. No Multistrada was refuelled in the making of this tale.........:D

On to Boreen Point for lunch at the Apollonian Hotel - a nice historic pub set in a spacious garden landscape, with outdoors dining and a nice looking and good singing sheila on guitar....... :unsure:...... should'a-could'a-would'a stayed but no accom booked, so it was off home to Brisvegas by V4MS x 2 (The Sport model showed up, with 700kms up).

So we teamed up for a nice dawdle down the highway until the traffic ground to a halt and we were split up when I went down the left side (legal in Aus) of the almost stopped traffic. Took ages to get through the jam but eventually it cleared and once again I was at a speed where the V4 was giving great economy.

DTE was at 4kms as I approached a servo not far from home with 345kms on trip, so I pitted for a quick 5ltr splash of go-gas so I had fuel to get to Wednesday's meet point...... thinking as fuel prices were beginning to drop today, by Wednesday they might be even better!

$35 to fill a bike tank!...... ouch....... :(...... might have to go back to werk just to be able to afford to ride the bike :LOL:.

Another Blue Sky day in paradise :D...... but it's getting hot already and it's not yet 'Spring' time downunder........ o_O

PS V4 goes nice, now with another 1/2 turn of preload on the forks to compensate for the 6kg extra of SWM crashbars and the 6kg extra that I saw on the bathroom scales yesterday o_O:eek:..... not going to take the crash bars off, so I better lose some waistline fast........

Oh, nearly fergot...... ;)....... some of the Dukes were rare eye candy out for a gallop..... check out the green frame round case lurking in the ranks.....

Attachments

Reactions: motoman2

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not much riding being done down here at the moment 159 Kmph winds and horizontal rain 🙁 if I were younger maybe for a laugh but bikes cost too much to fix these days especially our bike of choice, I might be down to one bike soon as someone wants to buy my Panigale 😎 that means $18k to spend on my s-2 resto , just out of curiosity Dave how many kilometres are you getting out of a tank ?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
G'day Cyberspook,

Geez that's rough, 159kph wind gusts :eek:...... I guess when someone says they ride like the wind, they must be from your part of the world :LOL:.

I got to 345kms with 4km showing on the DTE on Sunday, but didn't fill up as fuel was nearly $2 a litre for 98octane. My ave consumption meter is quite reliable and it told me I was doing 16.5k/ltr which would be correct for that sort of group mystery road riding day.

A >1500km trip into NSW back in June saw >18k/ltr average on open highway..... so thats nearly 380km a tank (but I didn't prove that, just took notice of the pump averages to confirm)....but it was dreadfully wet, and while we got some spirited riding in on the waterfall way (I rode like the wind you are enjoying, well briefly anyway :devilish:), and we didn't get to roast the Oxley Hwy, too wet and too many road works....... so the ride home was subdued but it proved the V4S was very comfy on a 700km day!

I have been toying with the idea of altering the gearing slightly, just to pull 400rpm out of highway cruising revs.

However my Ducati workshop guys told me way back when I bought the V4, that Ducati say not to alter the sprockets because (their words) "that would affect the rider aid settings"..... But I wonder if that really is true, as the V4 has a "tyre calibration" procedure in the manual, just like an Aprilia 1200 I owned in 2015 (full dynamic suspension, ABS/TCC/CC etc etc), yet we were able to swap sprockets out with no issues whatsoever.

I feel the V4MS could easily handle 2 teeth smaller on the rear sprocket for tarmac duties, (alternatively, maybe 1 tooth bigger on the front :unsure:).

The gearing is close enough but it is revving about 400rpm higher than necessary for extended legal touring speeds (we have to be clever on our busier highways.... camera's everywhere/unmarked bike & car patrols/highway patrols :rolleyes: ).

PS I've ordered a 'WRS' smoked touring screen from Italy......$223Au delivered, 6cm taller than the stock clear screen and > $100 cheaper than the not yet in stock Ducati smoked GT screen....... it's due to me by Friday ........ :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Aaaaahhh, that's why I like 170hp engines...... :devilish:........ long lines of trucks and cars bunched up tightly after lengthy road works stoppages can be dispatched with ease........ and it's a lot of fun with impressive acceleration from any gear...... (y)

Yes, Wednesday was a beaut day to go riding, but it was wet and gloomy looking to the south, and forecast similar to the north, so we went west ..... :LOL:.

5 intrepid mid-weeker's, individually dicing with heavy trucks and thick traffic, to get to the BP servo at Blacksoil for a 9am kick off. 4 Multistrada's and one 939 Super Sport heading off to Gatton via the back way through Walloon, Rosewood, Laidley and Forest Elbow, errrr wait that's at Bathurst, Hill, yes Forest Hill. Could have stopped at the cafe in Forest Hill, but we wanted the Cultural Centre at Gatton and we were a tad early for :coffee: anyway....... had to make some overtakes on some light traffic between Forest hill and Gatton....... more good fun accelerating to warp in an instant :devilish:.

From there we paid a brief visit to the 2011 flood memorial at Grantham to show one of the guys some history (he was a recent import from Coffs Harbour, so he didn't know much about Queensbloodyland, but he's learning fast). :devilish:... up the back way to Picnic Point for a look out over the valley, then he had to head home to pick up the grand kids. The rest of us went north to Hampton and down to Esk for a delicious lunch at Angie's Country Cafe...... perfect end to a perfect ride day. The commute from Esk was fun this time as we had to overtake a lot of traffic quickly, when able...... bulk horsepower has it's uses ;). Never say it's not needed :ROFLMAO:.

Here's some pics of the motley crew....... The Super Sport was ridiculously quick up the mountain, but we knew it would be..... anyway we all had fun and nobody got lost, even though I took a wrong turn in the maize of streets that make Toowoomba our version of the Bermuda triangle :LOL:....... no Ducati's were injured in the making of this story.....

:whistle:

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Ahhh Queensland, raining and gale force cold winds one day, big blue skies the next....... I know, lets go for a cruise in the mountains..... :D.

Organizer extraordinaire was free for a morning ride over Beechmont so Dougie and I went along to make sure he didn't get into any strife (he is 82yrs young after all)...... We met at Cafe Metz in Canungra, arriving within minutes of each other from 3 different directions, had a :coffee: and departed for the high country at 10am. Binna Burra Lodge was the target as we hadn't been there since it had been rebuilt from the destruction of the big fires of 2018/19.

The roads are now far better than they were before, and the Tea House Cafe has been refurbished and is open for business.

What to do now..... 11.30am..... Hmmmm, I suggested we ride Hinze's raceway and cut over to Springbrook Mtn for lunch and organizer says he knows a good cafe down the mountain just outside of Mudgeeraba that was well worth a visit, so we had a plan o_O.

Got a few good corners in on the descent, not much traffic to hold us up, and we arrived to a very popular local delight called 'Le Vintage' Cafe...... open for Breakfast & lunch 7 days a week it says..... food was top notch and the service was excellent. We squeezed our horses into the only available parking spot.........

Nice little cruise on a fresh blue sky day........ (y) Even the cruise home on the M1 was peaceful...... o_O

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Sorry, no bike pics today...... gang of 5 Ducati's (Monster 1100, GT1000, 950SMS, 939SS and my V4SMS) took to the backroads from Ipswich via Walloon, Rosewood, straight on, past Laidley, out into the boonies via Blenheim, Woodlands, Tenthill and Lillydale, over to Flagstone Crk and up the range to Picnic Point in Toowoomba.

What a magnificent day to get out into the back country and try to get lost......... :devilish:

Most of the roads I had ridden at some stage but there were a few I've never rubbed a tyre on..... thankfully we had a lead rider who knew them like the back of his hand (he was a Twba local for many years), so we didn't need to navigate...... ;).

A great lunch at Picnic Point Cafe was photo bombed by two indigenous local's - I've never been that close to a Kookaburra, ever....... so that's (y).

Home via Murphy's Crk with a brief stop at Spring Bluff train station to show the recent NSW escapee another pretty little gem to visit with his family some time during the spring carnival of flowers (if it is on this year :unsure:).

In via Grantham and Gatton to avoid the brain numbing slog on the Gatton Bypass, then chew the highway home with guys dropping off at their turnoffs.

PS I got 19.2 km/ltr av cons on that stretch as we were in stealth mode at 100-106kph (sat nav) in 6th with ACC on...... my trip computer was telling me I could make 400kms, so long as I stayed on the hwy in 6th at 4400rpm....... :ROFLMAO:.

The earlier back road riding saw a best of 16k/ltr av economy...... the V4 doesn't like slow speeds with lots of gear changes!

(y)

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Sunday, bloody Sunday ...........

A non-week this weeek..... :rolleyes:..... laid low with a UTI.. groan... so reminder to all, drink more water and don't dehydrate overnight as our temps warm up for spring ;).

Missing a new road (to me) ride today so I'll have to go explore the route another time. The nice Orthopaedic staff want me to visit the hospital clinic on Thursday so I'll also miss the Ducati Club's midweek ride..... 1st world problem, I know. ....... oh well, there's a social BBQ Club meeting on Wednesday so all is not lost 🤞...... unless we get stuck in a snap lock down due that frucker spreading covid around on his cross border delivery runs 😷.

Could be worse....... looked like rain a minute ago........ :LOL: ..... errr, no, wait, damn water levels are almost critical, so we actually need rain...... sigh.......

Oh well, I got great fuel economy this week........

(y)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Well that was an adventure........

Let me explain :LOL:

5 guys, 5bikes, big blue skies, cool but gusty winds, lets do an overnight ride to Hervey Bay before summer school holidays and hot sweaty weather sets in....... (y)

We meet at the servo at Blacksoil and head for Esk and Toogoolawah for :coffee:. Lovely crisp riding weather, but my Qld QR app decides not to work..... :unsure:

Onwards intrepid adventurer's, to Blackbutt (yes it's a town) and Yarramin and we aim for Goomeri for fuel and nose bag stop at a bakery/cafe...... except, we happen to be approaching a 4wd towing an empty trailer which has just shed a wheel and hub axle....... I'm leading and see the fresh tyre smoke and the sparks as the 4wd driver heads for the side of the road...... but...... then I think..... where's the wheel :eek:...... too late..... wherever it went, it didn't hit me, because i wouldn't have survived the impact....... lucky day...... :p

Just down the road a bit further a big kangaroo darted across from left to right...... welcome to country..... glad to dismount at the Shell servo in Goomeri as we were all jabbering about the near miss..... if we were just 3seconds earlier what would have happened...... :unsure:

Ok, had a great lunch at the bakery and headed out the Gympie road then turned for Maryborough via a back road which had a 6km stretch of graded dirt road....... :devilish:..... i was trying to control the boys as I wanted to be first so I didn't eat their dust...... but I overshot the turn o_O...... and by the time we did a U turn a couple of tradie vans had got in front. Luckily they were locals on a mission so I kept them in sight so i could see which way the wind was blowing the dust, and we blasted through the dirt at 80kph....... actually, the V4MS is brilliant in the dirt....... so stable.... coulda gone faster, but then i would have had to swallow a lot of dust from the tradie race vans :ROFLMAO:.

We made it through Maryborough's traffic chaos at school pick up time and survived the Hervey Bay log jam. Time for a steak and a beer at the RSL club - it was steak night too, so instead of $35 we got a fabulous 300G Sirloin cooked to perfection for $23 (y)

Breakfast was at the very trendy Enzo's on the beach and we were off toward Tin Can Bay and Gympie and lunch at Cooroy at the German Bakery. Thankfully we seemed to have avoided any more wheels and animals.

Plenty of tight corners which we paid due respect too as we blazed through to Kenilworth and Maleny on our run for home. A milkshake and a piece of caramel cheesecake at Woodford was all I needed to get me home by 3pm.

Attachments

Reactions: scott
41 - 51 of 51 Posts