Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Adventure on the Auto Train. New bike is finally home.

3021 15
Finally got the bike home. Picked it up in Richmond, VA and rode it about 90 miles north to Lorton. Spread some tips around at the Amtrack station and got it loaded up nicely. They actually have a pretty good setup with the track and the chock. I supplied some extension straps, and they double tied off on the lower triple, with an additional strap on the front and rear wheels.

The train left left at 4pm on Monday and I got to Florida at about 10am the next day. The food sucked, but the bike and I made it home in one piece. Once again, threw a few more tips around and they turned the bike back over to me, safe and sound. Another 90 miles ride to the house from the train station and the journey was over.

The only hiccup was that I found out my low fuel light doesn't work. Had the bike PPI'd at a dealer, but they didn't catch that. Probably tough to catch if the bike had plenty of fuel in it. Anyway, had a hard time starting it and keeping it running when I got it off the train. I could see fuel in the tank, but apparently the fuel pickup is a little higher than I thought it would be. Well, to make a long story short, rode it about one mile from the train station and it died on me about a 1/4 mile from the gas station I had just gotten directions to. Luckily a friend I met on the train was following me and gave me a ride to the gas station. A gallon of premium later, and I was up and running :) Time to get that fuel light looked at. Can't keep running out like that. It's a little freaky when the bike stops running at 50mph.

Love the new bike. The seat is hard as hell, but the bike is wonderful. Better than I expected. Noticed a couple other little things, but I'll ask about those in another post. Prepare for the wave of posts as I now have a million questions about mods :D

Here's some pics after it got tied down. They wouldn't let me take any pics of it on the train due to security reasons.

• Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
glad you got it home okay and that you found the bike for you even though I pointed you at it origionally!....glad it all worked out in the end!...and that you are happy!....and as far as low fuel lights....I have one on my Duc...but I go by my trip meter more than that thing!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The only hiccup was that I found out my low fuel light doesn't work. Had the bike PPI'd at a dealer, but they didn't catch that. Probably tough to catch if the bike had plenty of fuel in it.

I never rely on those fuel warning lights, in cars or on bikes. They tend to stick once in a great while [often at the same time a fuel gauge float sticks on a car's gas gauge]. The way you find out is you run out of fuel.

On my bikes I fill up, reset the trip odometer and then ALWAYS refill at about 110 miles on the odometer. I never push it to the limit.

Roto [the non-Watergate plumber guy]

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
deputydog95 said:
Noticed a couple other little things, but I'll ask about those in another post. Prepare for the wave of posts as I now have a million questions about mods :D
Those look like stock cans. First thing guys mod are new cans, as the stock ones sound like a Honda or a finely tuned sewing machine.

Here is a clip of my 998 with Arrow pipes. And the "before" stock cans. Also, my 900 with Termis.

You can get Arrow cans for about $700 or less. Sometimes, eBay has deals on them, for about $400. There are lots of cans out there and members in here have their preferences, but I found the Arrows [which are made in Italy] were fine.

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/998stockcans.mp3

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/mm998arrowcans.mp3

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/900ssterm.mp3

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
they are stock sleaves, but the insides have been converted to a bcm "coring" kit. they sound fantastic. essentially the entire baffling system is removed and replaced with a 1.5"ish piece of perforated metal tubing covered in muffler packing. the whole stock sleeve is put back on and sealed with new rivots. it essentially converts it to aftermarket exhaust internals with the stock exhaust look. i would still prefer the carbon look though, but this setup does sound damn good.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$180 for me and the bike to come back on the autotrain. my wife's company was paying for me to fly up to DC for another matter. cheap trip to get the bike back.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Right on, Thanks for the info. I showed my buddy the pics. That would be way cool as long as Amtrack is going where you need to go or close to it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.