Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys -

Well, I'm finally getting to the point with my 1098 where I'm not quite satisfied with the suspension set-up. I don't get the feeling I would like from the front-end (as I did on my 749), and it seems to push through the turn when not under throttle.

So, I read through the forums, and found a ton of good stuff. It looks like I need to put some time into setting up the suspension for my weight. I've got instructions on how to measure sag, and how to adjust front-preload (that's easy), but I'm having some trouble with the rear pre-load.

I see two rings around the rear shock that hold the spring in place. I'm assuming that by threading these rings down the shock, I will compress the spring more, and thus increase pre-load. Is this correct?

When I tried to do this, though, I had real issues getting the spanner wrench around the rings. When I could get the wrench around the rings, the frame or reservoir was in the way, and I couldn't turn them.

I'm pretty n00b at this, and I figure you guys have already figured out all the tricks. Do I need to remove anything? Is there a best-practice method? Any tips are appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!!

PS - my rear tire wore out the center fast, and my front tire wore out the sides real fast...does this point to any specific suspension problem? Riding style issues?

·
9,757 Posts
The first thing you should be doing is getting a 30mm offset triple clamp from motowheels.com. They've got a new billet aluminum triple that'll solve your front end feel problems once and for all. It'll make the bike steer quicker while providing even greater front end stability and feel (best of both worlds).

You would have a bit more room to work with the spanner if you decompressed the rear suspension. Get a buddy to help you pick the rear of the bike up and stick a pair of jackstands under the rearsets (or under the solid base portion of the pegs if you have stock hardware). That should give you a bit more room.

Also, what cold pressures do you run in your tires? Stock supercorsas?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'd say setting sag comes before any after-market buy. should come before riding.

it's the same on your 749, did you ever set sags on that? same issue, you'll never get a spanner wrench on it. i used a screwdriver. yes, my collars are a bit chewed. or you can buy the "shock preload adjuster tool" from racetech, altho I'm not quite sure what the difference is between it and my screwdriver.

http://www.racetech.com/page.aspx?id=70&menuid=57

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I never set the sag on my 749. This is my first time trying to adjust a bike.

As for cold tire pressure, I think I'm running like 35 front and 38 rear. Someone suggested that I try lower pressure. I'll be trying that next weekend.

Thanks for the tips, I'll let you know if I get it worked out! :)

·
9,757 Posts
35F 38R [psi]

Yes, stock tires
That's pretty high IMO especially for the rear.

Try going out with 34 front and 32 rear on the street and see how that works for you. I find 34/32 (cold) is a good baseline to start with depending on the ambient temperature..

I run 32 front and 30 rear on the street. They're a little numb driving around town but as soon as I get in to my favorite twisties (which is where my bike spends most of its time anyway) the carcasses heat up and the tires feel perfect.

In any case I can see how having an over inflated rear tire would accelerate wear down the center. I bet what you're seeing is normal wear in the front and accelerated wear in the center of the rear tire.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Makes total sense. I'll check our 34/32 and let you know how it feels. I just made an appointment to get my suspension set up for my weight. From my measurements at home, I'm happy that I only get 2 mm of stiction, but it looks like my front preload is wayyyyy too low. I'm not getting good measurements on back, so I'll hold speculative comments until I get back from the dealership Thursday.

Thanks for the tips!

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
I had similar issues with my 1198S. Could not feel the front end, nor did it want to hold a line. After doing a search here on 'offset triple clamps', I learned a lot about the geometry.

Ended up with the Nichols triple clamps. Bike and I are going to Pahrump this weekend, can't wait. WAY better feel on the front, plus the thing actually turns now and holds a line.

I also raised the rear, as stock it's slammed.

Have the dealer set up the suspension for ya'. It should help a lot. But if you're REALLY going pretty fast at the track, I would highly recommend you look at getting offset triples.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
The issues with the front and rear tire wearing is all suspension and pressures. Setting your tire pressures properly is the easy part, getting the suspension setup properly is the hard part. Once you test the new tire pressures and find they only help a bit. Unless you're a heavy dude, setting sag on the 1098 is going to be impossible. Due to DOT regulations, ALL sport bikes with double seats, need to handle 200lb's MORE then just the rider. This means, they're over-sprung to prevent the bottoming out of the suspension, which is a seriously dangerous situation.

So, you can spend hours turning the stock suspension and you'll get it better, but it won't be perfect. Why the 749 you have is any better, is just coincidence, you've probably never felt good suspension. The first thing I'd do, is let someone who is good at suspension look at your bike. There are many shops in the LA area who have worked on 1098's and know what springs to put in them. Catylist Reaction is one that I trust, but don't go to a Ducati dealer, they won't know. Once you get that taken care of and the bike dialed in, then you can work on other things like perfecting your tire pressures and such. Tires are everything on a bike, but if your suspension is totally not set properly, the tires can only do so much.

Ohh, one final note. You DO NOT need 30mm offset triple clamps to make that bike work well. I've gone very quick on my 100% stock 848, with stock tires and suspension. So don't waste money on triple clamps right now, focus on getting the proper springs installed and getting it dialed in by an expert.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree with proper setup before buying any parts. Do a search on the internet for suspension tuning, there are many good ones out there. Learn, understand, and know what each term (i.e. sag, stiction, preload, compression etc) means. Hopefully from that you can learn what each adjuster on your suspension does and how it affects the bike. When you take it to someone to adjust the suspension and get it set up, be there and ask questions if he does something that you don't understand. This will educate you! Which, in the future means that you can set up your own suspension and not pay someone else to do it.
I am suprised at how many track day junkies and racers that still don't understand suspension set, or even the terms used.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Third day on my 848 and I took it to get the suspension setup correctly.

My first two days didn't allow for many corners to be taken, but I was afraid I had gotten in over my head with this 848 as compared to my Paul Smart.

I guess the stock settings are there in case you have a passenger. The stock rear pre-load for my 170lbs was way too much. In the end the place that setup the suspension backed out all the pre-load, and even then sag was not quite right. Lighter spring needed, but that will have to wait.

The front pre-load was also backed off a turn or two. Also all the dampening settings were also backed off to match.

All I can say is that the handling was transformed. Thank goodness.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts