Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to me 2006 St3s with Helis. My levers are angled too high so that I must roll my wrist back when pulling levers. I cannot roll levers any farther forward because hydraulic clutch & brake hose is bumping up against handle bar risers.

I plan on squeezing & holding lever (gently to moderately) & loosening banjo bolt just enough (1/8 turn?) and rotating hose away from risers. I think fluid will come out so I will wrap towel around it and any cosmetics. Then retighten banjo bolt.

Questions:

1. Does this sound like the right way if I cannot rotate my levers farther forward below horizontal.

2. Will I introduce air into system.

Thanks! Left handle bar pic attached with banjo circled.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I've done the same

I think your idea will work OK. I've done the same technique to make adjustments to lever positions several times. I don't recall any fluid escaping but having things wrapped is a good ounce of prevention.
I doubt you will have any issues with air entering the system, loosening the bolt just enough to rotate the banjo with some resistance won't let air in or fluid out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Adjustments made but air in clutch and new grip install issues

Well, I did it successfully, but I opened up the clutch banjo a bit too much and it now clunks when I go from neutral to 1st. It's easy to have fluid come out both levers since it's difficult to modulate the force when turning open a tight nut.

Question: If I were to bleed, do I just do it at the clutch slave cylinder or the banjo bolt also. There is no bleed valve near the resevoir like the brake lever.

I also installed Superbike Progrip grips and though they are more comfortable, they don't fit as nicely as the OEM. I used "personal lubricant" in a tube. I was worried about applying alcohol to the plastic throttle tube.

Outcome: The right Progrip is about 1/4" thicker in diameter that the left Progrip because it's scrunched up about a half inch shorter in width left to right. I don't know how you can slide the left progrip over the mushroomed inboard end of the throttle tube. See pics.

Installing the right side grip was much more difficult because it did not slide easily over the plastic throttle tube. Plus, there was this extra rubber sleeve at the bar end complicating things. It seems that this half inch rubber sleeve was to help grip the throttle for the cruise control bar end.

My solutions for getting the right side grip to a similar diameter as the left bar grip:

1. Cut some material from the outboard end of grip. Then, pull it outboard more to stretch it down.

2. Find some other grips that are closer to OEM fit.

Thanks. It felt really, really good to take the ST for a test spin. The smoke and air quality in the SF Bay has been unhealthy to the point of burning my lungs, but I should not complain. My house did not burn down and I am alive.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Agree. Proceed with "the rag". Done similar in the past, with not fluid loss. I would recommend not trying to pressurize the system by holding the lever. Just a minor tweak to loosen, reposition, and then re-tighten the banjo.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I want to lower the levers further and this time I won't pressurize the system.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts