Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i was just wondering how do you guys adjust your chain? Ive seen so many diferent ways that now i´m confused and my chain is doing a lot of noise lately.

Do you measure from swingarm or chain guard? (Anyone use the ducati chain adjuster tool?)
What measurement?
On side stand or center stand?
With rider on bike or no weight on bike?

Thanks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi, i was just wondering how do you guys adjust your chain? Ive seen so many diferent ways that now i´m confused and my chain is doing a lot of noise lately.

Do you measure from swingarm or chain guard? (Anyone use the ducati chain adjuster tool?)

What measurement?

On side stand or center stand?

With rider on bike or no weight on bike?

Thanks.

Do you have the manual for your bike? It’s in there.

I have a 2012 Touring S. I use the tool that came with it. It attaches to the bottom of the swingarm.
35-37 mm to center of the chain.
Side stand.
Tension on top run of chain. Usually I push forward and then back in gear.
No weight on bike.

Without the tool:

With the tool:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the DVT and this tool also but seams like it´s loose still, so much noise coming from the chain.

I have been doing it on the center stand i will try adjusting on the side stand and see if it helps.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have the DVT and this tool also but seams like it´s loose still, so much noise coming from the chain.

I have been doing it on the center stand i will try adjusting on the side stand and see if it helps.

Centerstand is not right. Mine is properly adjusted and appears very loose on the centerstand.

Do you have your manual?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Centerstand is not right. Mine is properly adjusted and appears very loose on the centerstand.

Do you have your manual?

Yes i do have the manual. it says side stand . Thanks

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you adjusted it on the center stand, your chain is most likely to tight and that's why it is making so much noise! Loose is always better then tight, as a tight chain can damage the counter shaft bearing......just an FYI.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The Bike wants to be under its own weight and suspension set to Urban bike running if your are on electronic. A Pitbull rear wheel stand works well for this.

t_bare

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts

Make sure you've not lost one of the plastic guides... when my chain is adjusted correctly it's pretty quiet (assuming the chain is lubed and isn't at end of life).

Reactions: Wolverine1

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Make sure you've not lost one of the plastic guides... when my chain is adjusted correctly it's pretty quiet (assuming the chain is lubed and isn't at end of life).
The guides are there and the chain has 18.000km on it i still think its ok dont feel that much play on it. And pretty well lubed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Urban mode with preload set at 1 according to the DVT manaual.
Where can i find that information? Thats the first time i heard about this. Nothing on my manual about that. Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Never mind i just found that using the tension gauge where it says to put preload on 1 and urban mode. Wonder why i missed that before. Thanks Everyone for the help going to try to readjust it and see what happens.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Needs to be on the Side or Rear stand.

Needs to have its own weight (Sag) to get the proper tensions.

When you have it on the center stand, the weight is taken off the rear tire.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I prefer to put on centerstand, in neutral, and lowest preload setting on rear. Then I ratchet strap swingarm from rear luggage bracket around wheel, up to the shock bottoming point. Adjust chain to have just the SLIGHTEST amount of slack at that point, as this is as tight as it can ever get during riding. Rotate wheel and check in three other places. Sounds complicated when typed, but you KNOW you are correct using this method. Too many guesswork variables using side stand IMO.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Note on this link where the chain position when using the center stand... Motorcycle Info Pages - 'How to' & FAQs > MTS1200 Chain Adjustment
Lines up with adjuster tool and chain pins at bottom of tool. Then check on sidestand and set to the notch as in manual and service manual. I found it to be correct.

As far as noise, I note none. A loose chain will just slap/snatch a bit at low speeds. Keep the chain lubed.

·
Registered
883 Posts
18,000kms, id check the condition of the front sprocket also. At 22,000kms i changed my chain and both sprockets, the rear was ok, but the front was worn and the teeth were hooked. Hooked teeth make for a noisy chain also.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just looking to confirm the procedure for chain adjusting on my ‘16 mts. Original chain lasted about 30000kms , mind you it was really done by then. Changed the chain and sprockets with JT 530, not sure of model but the best one they have, it only lasted about 6000kms and was finished. Always adjust and maintain the chain in same way and also same riding habits. I’m wondering if when adjusting chain on side stand if over time the suspension sags more thus changing the tension. Anyway just put on a RK chain and will see how long this one lasts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts