Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the road doing this from my phone so sorry I can't search. I have a 1998 st2. I need to add a touch of oil. the fairing is in the way though... I can't remember if the lower piece comes off or if the entire fairing has to come off just to add some oil. frustrating to say the least.... I don't have a curved funnel with me and I'm in norcal in the middle of nowhere. if anyone can give me a tip that would be great. MUCH easier if someone could drop me a line at [email protected].

in advance. thanks

·
Still needs a life.
12,618 Posts
If you haven't discovered it by now, taking the lower piece off should do it, although you may have to bend back the lower part of the middle fairing a little bit. I carried a set of disposable paper funnels with me for topping off on the road.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Remove 2 of the bottom fairing screws on the bottom of the fairing and then the ONE on the right side by your knee. The right half will pull out a bit now for the fill.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I find that the flexible nozzle from a small petrol can, available in most filling stations, is ideal for rapid oil top ups without having to remove fairning.

A

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all-and thanks for those that emailed me--huge help. I pulled the bottom out and that kind of worked... Bought a flexible hose at an auto part store-worked best... Gettting the leak fixed upon my return.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm on the road doing this from my phone so sorry I can't search. I have a 1998 st2. I need to add a touch of oil. the fairing is in the way though... I can't remember if the lower piece comes off or if the entire fairing has to come off just to add some oil. frustrating to say the least.... I don't have a curved funnel with me and I'm in norcal in the middle of nowhere. if anyone can give me a tip that would be great. MUCH easier if someone could drop me a line at [email protected].

in advance. thanks
For on the road I'm using an empty (and cleaned) bottle of Toilet duck
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet_Duck
It just fits. Works perfect. Don't need to dismount anything, just squeeze the bottle.

For at home I have a funnel with a flexible nozzle.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Funny thing about this thread. I usually carry some oil on longer trips. Since I've owned my '04 ST3, I have never had to add a drop between changes. Am I just lucky or what? Come to think of it, the oil I have in my saddle bag (sealed within a vacuum bag) is 4 years old. Maybe I should dump it and get some fresh oil in another vacuum bag. Fred

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All the bikes I've owned I've had to put more oil in my st than all the others combined... I have a leak. It may be the gasket? Maybe something else-should find out in a week or so. Just got back from a 2,000 + trip. Had to put in about 1/3rd of a quart. The rest is spewed out along multiple highways along the CA coast up to crater lake, etc..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts