Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a special coolant for these bikes or can I just add any coolant that is safe for aluminium?

Due to a loose hose clamp, I lost some coolant and now my reservoir is at the minimum mark. I don't know what type of coolant is currently in there as it was added by the PO. All I know is that it's blue and presumably the kind that's safe for aluminium blocks. I don't want to change it because I had it serviced recently and the mechanic checked the coolant and said it was still good. TIA.

-Mats

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I run water and weather wet on all my bikes street and race. that way any street bike can turn into a track/race bike :D
When I do change it, I'll probably run something like that as I like to take this to the track a couple times a year.

·
Registered
523 Posts
You want coolant safe for aluminum (most are today) and no silicates. The presence or absence of silicates should be marked on the containers. I've not had any problems with my ST3 using a ready made 50/50 solution. I think the silicates can cause some internal damage or scouring to the aluminum.
Bill W.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Get the premixed (50/50) Honda automobile coolant. It's safe for aluminum, no silicates and is a pretty blue color.:)

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Tastes good, too! ;-)

Seriously--the stuff is poisonous...

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
If you're only down to the low water level just add some water, it's probably about a pint. It'll thin the anti-freeze a bit (raising it's freeze point) but won't hurt the engine or heat transfer charateristics. If you have the time to go to a store, distilled water is probably best.

·
Registered
523 Posts
If you're only down to the low water level just add some water, it's probably about a pint. It'll thin the anti-freeze a bit (raising it's freeze point) but won't hurt the engine or heat transfer charateristics. If you have the time to go to a store, distilled water is probably best.
Jack is correct. Also, distilled water is the best. Most grocery stores have it.
Bill W.

·
Mr Leakered
8,811 Posts
+1 on distilled water.

Also, since I will not be seeing any track time, I put used Sierra propylene glycol just for its environmental stance and non-toxic formulation. It is supposedly silicate free. I have used PG formulas for the last 8yrs in our aluminum block cars without any issues.

If the coolant tank was completely emptied, be sure to only go for a short ride and re-check the level or squeeze the left radiator hose by the water pump to burp the system.

Have a good one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts