Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am seriously toying with the idea of adding a 2010-12 SFS to my current collection. Right now I have a 2012 848 EVO and 2002 748s (Titanium Grey). While I absolutely love both of these bikes, I am looking for something that is more comfortable that I can just get on and ride around. Because of ergonomics (or lack thereof) of the 848 and 748, I usually have to plan my rides and frankly mentally prepare myself for the experience. I am thinking the SFS will be a fun bike that I can ride for as long a time as I want without worrying about how my back, arms, etc will feel after a few hours.

Anyway, I got a buddy who may be wiling to sell his low mileage 2010 SFS. Its completely stock and looks well cared for. He is asking $10K which I think is in the ballpark given the limited research I have done. I am thinking $9K is more realistic. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
If it's a friend who has it, & it is well cared for, & he has service records--It very well mat be worth a little more---Is it worth a friendship to low ball him & piss him off?---If it were someone I didnt know and could care less if I pissed them off --then low ball them--Just saying--it's just my O.P.O.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's a friend who has it, & it is well cared for, & he has service records--It very well mat be worth a little more---Is it worth a friendship to low ball him & piss him off?---If it were someone I didnt know and could care less if I pissed them off --then low ball them--Just saying--it's just my O.P.O.
Do you think $9k is low-ball? I seriously do not know because so few SFS come up for sale it's hard to get a good feel for price.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
The 1098SFS is definitely not the bike for a relaxing comfortable ride. It's far from that. The seating position isn't horrible, but it's definitely not relaxed. The suspension is good once you set it up properly. The thing that will wear you out is the engine. It's high strung and cranky and takes a lot of mental power to ride. You have to be on your toes/game all of the time. I love my 1098S but it's not what I ride when I want to chill out on a ride. I have other bikes that do that way better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 1098SFS is definitely not the bike for a relaxing comfortable ride. It's far from that.
Thank you for the input. I guess its all relative right? Perhaps I misspoke a bit. I am not looking for a plush, easy, comfortable ride. I am looking for something that is more comfortable than what I have now. I still like being fully engaged with the bike but want something that has better ergonomics than my 848 and 748.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Do you think $9k is low-ball? I seriously do not know because so few SFS come up for sale it's hard to get a good feel for price.
I dont know enough about that motorcycle to be dangerous lol----I would look at NADA value but that is nothing more then a guide--If it's very low mileage, -has service records, has been maintained properly, & is bone stock--these are all a plus in my book and it is worth more then one that has been screwed with, has no service records, -has not been maintained properly---The problem with NADA & Kelly is that these are things that they do not take into consideration because there is basically no way for then to cover all variables --So again Is it worth risking a friendship over say $1000.00---But if he is just an acquaintance who gives a damn lol

Reactions: Monster4Lee

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I just looked at NADA for a Street Fighter S in my area with no options they give a price of $9910.00--your area could be more or less--so his asking price of $10K seems right in the ball park---

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
You could always ask him what is the least you could take for it---that way you leave it in his hands --that way he cannot be offended. --I try never to purchase a motorcycle from a friend--too many landmines --One of my close friends had a 2006 MulitStrada for sale about a year ago--This bike was very low mileage & had all service records from new. --He offered it to me for $1200.00--just serviced-new tyres, battery etc. I could have flipped that motorcycle in a skinny minute & tripled my money. --But I didnt for one reason--I didnt want pissed that I made money from him---I told him how much to sell the motorcycle --& he did--He was happy -& I still have a good friend lol

·
Registered
231 Posts
I’m gunna second what SS said earlier. The SF1098 is NOT something you can just “get on and ride around” to quote the OP. It’s a very, VERY different naked bike than any Monster, Tuono, Super Duke or S1000R. Way more unruly. Only rewarding when ridden like an Italian cocaine stripper and makes you work for every mile (but strangely, rewards you accordingly). By no means should this dissuade you but just be aware of what you are getting into to avoid disappointment and try to test ride the bike (more than around the block) if you have not done that already.

·
Bon Vivant
11,602 Posts
I'm gonna jump in here and say all of this so far has been sage advice. The SF1098 is not something to take lightly. it handles differently than any other bike, it's tough to live with and require some effort to ride well but also rewards when well ridden. Are the ergos more comfortable than an 848 or 748? sure they are. Can you ride it all day? 20 minutes in traffic or on the highway will make you want to kill yourself, but all day on a lonely country road is heaven.

And Renn is 100% spot on, if you buy from a friend it isnt the time to cheap out or bargain, buy the bike at his asking price or politely pass (and don't go out and immediately buy something else) loosing your friend isnt worth a few hundred dollars.

If the bike is as good as you say its worth 10K IMO.

But do yourself a favor before you buy and read through the FAQ here in this section for a few days and familiarize yourself with the issues and cures for the SF - there are many

·
Registered
458 Posts
A proper friend won't balk if you make what you believe is a reasonable offer. $8-9k isn't unreasonable for a 10 yr old sfs.

I'd want to pay as little as possible cos u r gonna want an aftermarket exhaust to make the bike sound proper and maybe a tune to make it run proper. That's $$$$$. U can find SFS' for 8-9k with an exhaust already tuned.

Also, comfort wise these bikes are all day comfy. The 998 I just sold was a neck killer for me within 20mins. Just did an all day 300 mile ride in mountains on my 2010 sf 1098. Effortless.

You get used to the power.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Aftermarket accessories like exhausts, chips, tunes, wheels, seats, etc-etc-etc--Do not make the motorcycle worth more unless they are all things that you would do anyway. ----The motorcycle is worth only what is worth---& unfortunately NADA & Kelly are the standard that EVERYONE Looks at here in the U.S. ---I would purchase a bone stock motorcycle over one that has mod's every day of the week. Depending on your riding style those mod's may not mean fuck all.
I just purchased a 91 -851--the only things that were not stock were a later front master cylinder & StainTune exhaust----Now the master cylinder was an upgrade to the original, But I put a stock master cylinder on the motorcycle just for originality ---( was the replacement better---most likely--but I wanted original) ---The StainTune exhaust is a period correct accessory so it shall stay--plus it sounds great.--
You find an unmolested motorcycle & that is the top of the list for value.
It's like Harley owners think that they spent 10K on B/S/ Chrome--& they think that adds value to their motorcycle-----It does not add 1 cent to the value---unless you are a chromeasexual & have have to have all that chrome shit

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I am not a Ducati expert, & I have never claimed to be one, I look at statistics & numbers & my over 40 years in this industry . --Most of the advise I give is just general things that any competent technician could diagnose.
But with vintage motorcycles & values I look the same places that others should----NADA-& Kelly here in the U.S. are the basic standards .
This is used as an example only---I just purchased a 1991 851. --Yes I think I got a very good deal on this motorcycle--but that is beside the point. ---I replaced the front master cylinder for one reason only----It was not correct for this motorcycle---( is the replacement better then the original--probably so--but not original to this motorcycle)
I do restorations on vintage BMW motorcycles--( & a paint job is not a restoration) --Restoration means one thing only--When complete--it is exactly as it came from the factory the year it was built. ---(They were not powder coated--thats not original)---Painted frames & body work--& no damn clear coat. --My restorations have won @ Pebble Beach, Hilton Head, Amelia Island & Riding into History---I am also a vintage judge--( & no I dont judge my own motorcycles)
Original is King---every single thing that is altered from stock deducts from the value----The only deviation from this is if ALL of the original components are included in the sale--But even then it is still only worth what this model is valued ----again NADA & Kelly are what everyone looks at.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, comfort wise these bikes are all day comfy. The 998 I just sold was a neck killer for me within 20mins. Just did an all day 300 mile ride in mountains on my 2010 sf 1098. Effortless.
Thats good to know. 300 miles is about my limit on my 748 and 848. I am hopeful that with the better ergonomics I will be able to ride 500+ miles per day.

·
Registered
111 Posts
There are so many folks that hold their SFS in too high esteem. It's a good bike, it's reasonably comfortable to get along with. Footpegs are low, handle-bar isn't high but also are not clip-ons.

It's not some crazy, uncontrollable beast. You can ride that pants off of it if you like, or you can commute on it if you want. It's not a particularly sharp handler and the mid-range grunt provided by the engine gives way to a top-end that runs out of breath. Prior to the pandemic, I would say a well-sorted model would go for 7-8k with a reasonable number of miles.

If you think your friend's price is high, just tell them that your budget is $9k. If they think the price is fair, they will come down. If not, then they will understand you are looking in a different price bracket.

·
Bon Vivant
11,602 Posts
I learned a long time ago that friends are worth far more than a good deal on a motorcycle. Maybe you younger guys see it differently but I dont care about a few hundred dollars when it comes to people I care about. And a good low mileage stock SFS is worth $10K. You penny-pinchers can suck it. :) (and I dont have one so I'm not defending my own interest here)

·
Bon Vivant
11,602 Posts
I am not a Ducati expert, & I have never claimed to be one, I look at statistics & numbers & my over 40 years in this industry . --Most of the advise I give is just general things that any competent technician could diagnose.
But with vintage motorcycles & values I look the same places that others should----NADA-& Kelly here in the U.S. are the basic standards .
This is used as an example only---I just purchased a 1991 851. --Yes I think I got a very good deal on this motorcycle--but that is beside the point. ---I replaced the front master cylinder for one reason only----It was not correct for this motorcycle---( is the replacement better then the original--probably so--but not original to this motorcycle)
I do restorations on vintage BMW motorcycles--( & a paint job is not a restoration) --Restoration means one thing only--When complete--it is exactly as it came from the factory the year it was built. ---(They were not powder coated--thats not original)---Painted frames & body work--& no damn clear coat. --My restorations have won @ Pebble Beach, Hilton Head, Amelia Island & Riding into History---I am also a vintage judge--( & no I dont judge my own motorcycles)
Original is King---every single thing that is altered from stock deducts from the value----The only deviation from this is if ALL of the original components are included in the sale--But even then it is still only worth what this model is valued ----again NADA & Kelly are what everyone looks at.
Thats all great Renn and probably true for strict collectors of vintage BMWs, but this bike here is not vintage and it is not a collector bike - the dude is probably gonna ride the shit out of it and mod it himself... Still, I think its worth 10k

·
Registered
493 Posts
Buy the bike

Yes it is worth 10K.

If you have experience with the superbikes (which you do) you should be able to handle this model. I put 17K miles on a 1098 Superbike in every conceivable condition from commuting to roaring through the North Carolina mountains. The SFS would have been even better because of the ergo's.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I learned a long time ago that friends are worth far more than a good deal on a motorcycle. Maybe you younger guys see it differently but I dont care about a few hundred dollars when it comes to people I care about. And a good low mileage stock SFS is worth $10K. You penny-pinchers can suck it. :) (and I dont have one so I'm not defending my own interest here)
I agree 100% Trying to lower the price or barter with a friend is not a good idea. As a matter of fact it shows bad character in a friend.

On another subject on price wars in dealerships. The trend of price wars is killing the dealerships. I sold motorcycles for a while at a dealership and how the public is trying to control pricing is making the dealerships fight and out bid one another. That's not customer loyalty and that's not a customer I want. We had customers drive up in expensive cars and million dollar work vehicles and want the cheapest price out the door. I never want to be in sales ever again. Everyone is forgetting. These are TOYS. You shouldn't be asking for money off of a TOY. You look stupid and selfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 51 Posts