Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Semi-seriously debating picking up an Alazzurra. It's been sitting for almost a decade, and definitely needs the tires/belts/battery/carb clean combo, which I'm comfortable tackling. All the essential electricals work well, engine spins, and it has spark. Body work is a 7.5/10 perhaps, and it's missing one side panel.
Besides jetting and dodgy pickup wires I haven't read any major complaints about them, aside from a lack of popularity at the time and the obvious advances of performance motoring in the last 33 years. The Dell'orto carbs look straightforward, and the twisted head engine is an intriguing relative of the one in my '01 SS900. This Alazzurra has character to spare, but I'm not convinced it wouldn't be a money-and-time suck. Worth a shot?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
6.jpg 5.jpg 11.jpg
The pictures make it look a bit better than it actually is. There are actually a decent number of dings and scrapes on the fairings and tank. Engine cases also have a few corroded/missing paint areas. Definitely a runner, not a points bike.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Nice bike, you have the SS version with full fairing and dry clutch. They are often very reliable and getting scarce as the vultures buy them to chop up and make TT2 kit bikes, how many can be left?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Depends how much you're being asked for, Mark.

One of the reasons the Alazzurra didn't sell well was because, styling-wise, they lacked character - certainly, any Ducati character. But if you can get past that, they have a reputation for being reliable if unexciting old buses. A commuter bike. Which is why so many get used for making TT2 Replicas

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends how much you're being asked for, Mark.

One of the reasons the Alazzurra didn't sell well was because, styling-wise, they lacked character - certainly, any Ducati character. But if you can get past that, they have a reputation for being reliable if unexciting old buses. A commuter bike. Which is why so many get used for making TT2 Replicas
Thanks for the input Ventodue. We'll see, still haven't made up my mind. Seems as close to an Italian utility bike as one can find from that era, but would probably be a fair bit more maintenance than a Yamaha Vision or another XS or something. Certainly don't need Boy Racer bikes at this point though, and my garage capacity for semi-projects is limited.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had my Ally for over 10 years now and it is my favorite bike. It has it's quirks but sounds awesome with a Bub 2 into 1 pipe and after some TLC handles very well. I prefer it when I'm riding at 8/10ths. Good but not great brakes. Mine is an '85 and IIRC the later version like the one in your picture has different calipers.

Just curious if you don't mind me asking, what is it selling for? I paid $1900 for mine and it only had 9,000 miles on it.

Also If you need a side cover, I have a lot of Ally parts for sale.

I hope you got it, I think you'll love it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had my Ally for over 10 years now and it is my favorite bike. It has it's quirks but sounds awesome with a Bub 2 into 1 pipe and after some TLC handles very well. I prefer it when I'm riding at 8/10ths. Good but not great brakes. Mine is an '85 and IIRC the later version like the one in your picture has different calipers.

Just curious if you don't mind me asking, what is it selling for? I paid $1900 for mine and it only had 9,000 miles on it.

Also If you need a side cover, I have a lot of Ally parts for sale.

I hope you got it, I think you'll love it!
Hi yellowrat01,
That's a pretty good endorsement honestly. The seller was asking $2100 I believe, then as moving time came closer he had dropped it quite a bit. I stopped over one afternoon, we did an oil change and a quick cam belt check, and verified it had spark. He ordered a side cover from eBay and was asking $1400 with the new information from our work, and offered it to me for a fair bit less than that. Didn't work out due to garage space and Covid finances, although I was pretty tempted. Ahhh, road not taken.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts