Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a full Arrow exhaust on my S2R1000 and it is incredibly loud. I like the tone but want to reduce the sound a bit.

Has anyone tried a universal db killer such as the ones found on ebay. I know it will reduce power. Just looking for ideas, thoughts, and feedback.

Link to ebay silencer https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-51mm-Motorcycle-Exhaust-Can-Muffler-Insert-Baffle-DB-Killer-Silencer/233344719238?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=20131003132420&meid=a34da5bf82424071b91496c81d93f5f9&pid=100752&rk=2&rkt=12&mehot=co&sd=333152442718&itm=233344719238&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

Attachments

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I have had that one, cheap, works. Replace the bolt that comes with it with a hardened nut and bolt, JB weld or use exhaust muffler "bondo" to seal the bolt and a little smear around the edges to firmly plant in inside your exhaust cans. Paint it black before install.

With two holes exposed it knocked at least 50 percent of the noise out, raised the tone or pitch a bit on what was left. Not really happy with it, looking for better slip ons.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The silencer I am looking at would push in at the front of the muffler, or the entrance, and would be held in by friction fit.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,006 Posts
The Arrow Ti cans that I got came with inserts that are held into the rear of the can with a large snap ring. I know the CF cans don’t come with the inserts but if the recess for the snap ring is in your cans you could use the Arrow inserts. They cut the noise by just enough to make it tolerable but have no noticeable effect on power at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a pair of the Arrow Ti cans also but the end caps are smooth with no snap ring provision.

I am going to fit some sort of cheap db killer in the front end of the cans and see what happens.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've got Arrows on my 796... I did sort of the same thing DuckMan suggests. With the stock DB Killers it was too lame, with them out, it was too loud. I just chopped off everything but the last 2" or so of the DB baffle... it's perfect! ...but, that doesn't help the OP much.

Looking at your photo, I don't see why a properly size universal fit baffle wouldn't work, I just don't know how it would stay in the port. It looks like the end caps are riveted on, you might be able to have someone fabricate something similar... a slip in baffle that would go behind the end cap.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
By putting in the "front" of the cans they won't do anything productive. They go in the end to force back the sound waves into the exhaust cans. Putting it in the "front" would...? force it back into the exhaust valves?

By drilling through your end piece and the included hole on the ebay one you linked, you can put a nut and bolt in it. Mine flung itself out in an hour the first time with the ebay provided sheet metal screw.. The first bolt rattled loose in a few more hours riding. By smearing the exhaust goo on both the bolt and the rim of the opening that created a permanent mount.

If you have those Arrow ones similar to the Duckman pic a bolt is not going to look very nice. If it is not secured tight it will rattle and eventually blow out. I dunno, maybe try three bolts, titanium ones? That snap ring solution looks great, wonder what it would take to duplicate that?

·
Registered
154 Posts
There is a groove that is part of the endcap that the snap ring sets into... it would probably be hard to duplicate. Further, there is a small ridge behind the DBK that stops it from going down into the can, so it would be a fair engineering trick to do it right.

It also might be possible to swap endcaps... assuming the only differences between can models is the type of baffle, that the end caps are the same as the ones in DuckMan's photo. I don't know how expensive it would be ordering those from Arrow, however.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
I have the short (tiny) Termi 2 into one muffler on the end of stock headpipes. It is really loud and not made to be disassembled. It is an empty can inside other than the baffle pipe running through it. Termi shows no baffle or dB killer that would work with it on their website. I was going to stuff the can with fiberglass but I couldn’t get it apart without damaging it. Does anyone know were I can get a dB killer for it ?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the short (tiny) Termi 2 into one muffler on the end of stock headpipes. It is really loud and not made to be disassembled. It is an empty can inside other than the baffle pipe running through it. Termi shows no baffle or dB killer that would work with it on their website. I was going to stuff the can with fiberglass but I couldn’t get it apart without damaging it. Does anyone know were I can get a dB killer for it ?
I would probably email Termi to see if they have a fix, but if it's the can I think it is, there is very little you can do with it to quiet it down...

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
The Arrow Ti cans that I got came with inserts that are held into the rear of the can with a large snap ring. I know the CF cans don’t come with the inserts but if the recess for the snap ring is in your cans you could use the Arrow inserts. They cut the noise by just enough to make it tolerable but have no noticeable effect on power at all.

GPR slip ons use the exact same method to hold the supplied DB killers in place.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I never ride without ear plugs if I can help it. My 08 hyper has a cheap ass Dan Moto for a GSXR 600 slapped on a Leo Vince mid pipe....that thing DRONES like a mo fo.

Not a solution I know but it may help until you can come up with a good fix. A whole box of decent ear plugs is like 5 bux.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The eBay db killers came in yesterday. A small bit of sanding and it slid right into the leading end of the Arrow muffler. There is an inside factory weld joint on the muffler that keeps it from falling into or through the muffler.
20191019_125820.jpg

It also fits nicely into the aft end of the muffler, but would require removing the endcap to allow placement of mechanical fasteners and would be more of a permanent solution.
20191019_125859.jpg

20191019_125943.jpg

I am going to try the leading end first since it is so easy and see what it does.

·
18,006 Posts
Nice but test before doing anything permanent. You may or may not like it. That looks pretty restrictive for a 1000cc motor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice but test before doing anything permanent. You may or may not like it. That looks pretty restrictive for a 1000cc motor.
Agreed. I rode it today with both silencers and it has the tone and volume that I want, but as you mention it is restrictive. I did not notice a loss of power, but after a short 5 minute ride I did notice that the front third of the muffler is way hotter than the rear.

Turning all that noise into heat is ok with me as long as the heat is evenly distributed among the muffler, and this silencer is just too short for that to happen.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I need to remove it all again to align the mufflers, and then my plan is to drill several holes into the flat end of each silencer to help it breath easier and reduce the heat signature.

20191019_173003.jpg

Anyone wanting to install this type of universal silencer into the slip-on end of a muffler needs to allow for wiggle room for the brackets and hardware. My mufflers were pushed rearward about 1/4" which meant that I had to enlarge the holes on the mounting bracket to get the bolts to fit.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I need to remove it all again to align the mufflers, and then my plan is to drill several holes into the flat end of each silencer to help it breath easier and reduce the heat signature.
Do not do this. Introducing fresh air into the exhaust gases will heat them up and has the possibility of severely damaging the muffler. The dB killer you bought on ebay is going to be extremely restrictive and raise exhaust temps, it will also cause the bike to be very rich. You may not notice much power loss at smaller throttle openings/lower rpms but it’s definitely happening. I bet at wide open it is way down on power.

Before starting all of this you should have asked yourself:
How many miles are on this exhaust system?
When was the last time it was repacked?

Getting the mufflers to function properly is a better solution to plugging them up, especially if they are missing packing. (Full disclosure: I work for a motorcycle exhaust company, and I don’t like loud pipes).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^^ Maybe I worded it poorly - No fresh air.
The drilled holes would be in the newly added ebay db killer to reduce backpressure, most likely eliminating nearly all of the flat face.

The exhaust has less than 3k miles on it and if I am not happy with my test results I may look into installing stock mufflers and up-pipes, but keep the Arrow headers.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I found in my experiments with my factory Arrow DBK's that punching a bunch of holes in it did very little... but that was on the outlet, not the inlet like yours. Here are the cut-off sections of the DBK... stock on the right, modded on the left. Looking at it you would think the modded one would have translated to far greater flow... but it didn't.

Looking at your pictures, and hearing about the differences in can temps, I worry about backpressure and all that heat likely being retained all the way back to the heads. I'll be curious to see how they do after your further modifications...

·
18,006 Posts
If your concerned about heat and back pressure think about what the stock setup with the catalytic converter does.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts