Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking on EBay at bike frames. Most of them are being sold "without papers"
Without going in to why I'm looking (it's a sad painful story), has anyone had success in discovering a process of obtaining a title without being able to contact any previous owners?

·
Registered
605 Posts
if you're buying it on eBay, wouldn't that party be the most relevant prior owner? Then you'd have to fulfill your state's requirement for a bill of sale with them

·
Registered
154 Posts
Check with Mark Hatten at woundedduc . He usually has some frames with titles so that you know you're not buying stolen parts .

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I recently bought a frame from Metro Duc. It came with a title. Without a title, you could be in for a nasty surprise.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's not a big deal, get the numbers and call aaa or DMV to run them, they will tell you if the frame is clear. Pay with PayPal or u.s postal cashiers check to further protect yourself and be sure you get a bill of sale, it's very important!
Once you get the frame have a title company get a title for you, or do it yourself.
If you do it yourself you will have to take it to the chp and have them run it, when it comes up clear you will then go to the DMV to register it and pay the taxes.
I do this all the time with vintage bikes!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
938 Posts
I would avoid buying a frame or bike without a title like the plague.

When you buy a bike without a title you have no idea (of course the seller is honest and will tell you the truth, and I have a bridge for sale....) where the bike was ever previously titled and you have no idea whether it is on the stolen vehicle list in some other state. Your state may issue you a title, but if you get pulled over in another state and the VIN pops up as a stolen vehicle, they really aren't going to care that you have a "valid" title from another state. They also aren't going to care that you bought a frame and put everything else on it. If the VIN is from a stolen bike, the entire bike is going to be considered stolen.

Given the value of a frame in the context of the rest of the parts of a bike, I would pay the premium to get a clean titled frame.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts