Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was thinking about getting some rear sets myself and I do like the style and it looks to be high quality

·
Registered
284 Posts
Extremely high quality rearsets, and beautifully made. That said, just my experience with these is that they don't hold up to a crash at all. Peg breaks off very easily, and a replacement is a costly option.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
I´d go for these rearsets from AxlJak Racing if i was buying today.
They seem to specilize in crashworthy bilet stuff. But you really need to be comfortable with the setting of the rearset, since they aren´t adjustable.

But they seem d*mn crashworthy since they are machined from one piece. $250

http://www.axljak.com

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I recently bought some of these, as they came my way at a good price. I have been using the conventional DP style rearsets, which do the job just fine but these Acculigns are a real piece of art - I can't vouch for their crashworthyness (hopefully never will) in fact I only fitted them on Sunday and haven't ridden the bike with them yet but they are certainly adjustable in every conceivable direction. I don't really need any more adjustability as my old ones were just fine but I just like the look and 'technicalness' of them, although the exhaust looks a little 'naked' without the big CF heel plates.

Here's a pic of the Acculign;
http://www.ducati.ms/gallery/showimage.php?i=933&original=1&c=3

And a some pics of the old ones for comparison;
http://www.ducati.ms/gallery/showimage.php?i=853&c=3
http://www.ducati.ms/gallery/showimage.php?i=430&c=3

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have the Acculign rearsets and have crashed on them a few times. At first, I was unhappy with the crash worthyness. The peg didn't break off, but the mounting plate broke and had to be replaced. All the other rearsets I used, the peg breaks off in the slightest crash. The mounting plate costs quite a bit bit more than the peg.

After discussions with Mark from Acculign, you have to decide what you want your rearsets to do. Do you want them to be pretty and have a lot of adjustments. I don't know many people that adjust their rear sets more than once.

I've had some big crashes with the Acculign rearsets and in all the crashes my bike suffered very little damage except the rearsets. I still have unrepaired bodywork on my bike from the last two crashes.

The Acculign rearsets did want I want them to do. (protect my $50,000 race bike).

M

·
0 Posts
I just purchased a pair of Acculign's as well however they're sitting in a box waiting for the bike to return from service (749S).
I also like the technical look and the quality of the finish. I have Cycle Cat's on my 996 and interested to compare the amount of adjustabiliy to the Acculign's.
I as well hope to never know how they hold up under crash conditions although I'm planning on a track day very soon!!
I'm installing them for a ride this weekend and will give you a road test review when I return.
Regards,
Rob

·
Registered
709 Posts
trussdude said:
I have the Acculign rearsets and have crashed on them a few times. At first, I was unhappy with the crash worthyness. The peg didn't break off, but the mounting plate broke and had to be replaced. All the other rearsets I used, the peg breaks off in the slightest crash. The mounting plate costs quite a bit bit more than the peg.

After discussions with Mark from Acculign, you have to decide what you want your rearsets to do. Do you want them to be pretty and have a lot of adjustments. I don't know many people that adjust their rear sets more than once.

I've had some big crashes with the Acculign rearsets and in all the crashes my bike suffered very little damage except the rearsets. I still have unrepaired bodywork on my bike from the last two crashes.

The Acculign rearsets did want I want them to do. (protect my $50,000 race bike).
+1

I have run the Acculign's on both my race bikes, and still do. I had the same discussion with Mark regarding their "crash worthyness". I now keep a spare left and right eccentric mount, and have taken to drilling stress relief holes in the pegs [about an inch out from where they seat in the eccentric]. This will, in theory, cause the peg to break there instead of destroying the eccentric or mount. Maybe even leave enough peg to continue.

I fortunately haven't crash tested them since I drilled the holes.

maybe you can see the holes in this pic.

Attachments

M

·
0 Posts
I took the 749S out Sunday for a nice 130 mile run, it was 39 degrees here in CT at 8am when I left!!

The Acculign's felt really nice as I set them for a more relaxed lower position considering I was taking a long road ride. I think they have enough of a low forward adjustment as I'll ever need for long trips and plenty of adjustment up and back for sportier riding. They also look sweet on the bike

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
I just ordered a set for my 999r. Kenny Kopecky uses these and swears by them. They look absolutely beautiful........

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
I had a pair on my 900SS. They were the reverse GP shift config. I kept them about six months then sold them. It wasn't because of the sets, it was because I brought a 916 into the stable and I didn't want to convert it to reverse shift. I never could get used to reverse shift, caused a couple of near crashes.

Like someone said, you adjust them once. I know I could have gotten by with sets for less money and frankly, I didn't like the looks of the Acculigns over time. They didn't look "Ducati" to me. They looked like Star Ship Enterprise. I think next time I'm be going with a pair of black sets and be done with it. Having a zillion adjustments is overkill. Furthermore, the Acculign anti-slip cuts in the pegs were too "sticky" for me. What I mean by that is it felt like my boot was stuck to the peg like glue. To some thats good, but not for my riding style. I like to feel the peg underneath my boot and I like a little wiggle room to go along with it. Its a fine line between having too much slip and not enough.

One more thing I had not thought of until someone brought it up here, that is-crashworthiness. My crash history isn't good, I must admit. Its not because I can't ride a motorcycle, shit happens. I think rear set pegs should bend, break or whatever and not play the role of a frame slider. I think being too strong is bad, bad for the frame.

Sorry Brian, just me and my 2 bit opinion. Anything will look good on your bike, see you at Laguna!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Do you any of you replace the break and clutch levers with the acculign products as well? most the pics did not appear that way, but they seem to be an option for around $200.

Also, what are you thoughts on the Motowheels product. Seems like a nice set and includes brake and clutch lever, and carbon heel guards for a total of around $350ish.

·
Registered
304 Posts
i just noticed that gilles makes them for the 996 as well. i had them on my zx10. top notch stuff. i have have to order a set for the duc.

i have never been a big fan of the eccentric adjusters. i had a set of acculings on my mille. i will say they're crashworthy :D

the gilles pegboard approach is much simpler as far as adjusting/keeping the left and right the same.

·
Administrator
6,191 Posts
John sold the rearsets and GP shift to me.
It was awkward for about a day.

Now, I would have it any other way.

I love the rearsets and I love the shifter.
Once you go that route, you won't regret it!

And John I owe ya buddy!

·
Registered
304 Posts
i went ahead and bought a set of the gilles in black today from 58 cycle. $430 shipped. not a bad deal. if they're as good as the ones i had on my 10R, i won't be dissapointed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts