Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a 12 volt fan, 4in sq, 38watt, 60cfm.
Next week I'm going to try and mount it rear of the tank and see what it can do about sucking some of the heat away. If its a no go all I've lost is $18 and I'll use it as an accessory fan on the rad of my Husky.
If it works and the install is not hideous I'll post some pictures.
WTF, if you don't try it will never work.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Check out the Desmo Times Fan Upgrade Kit

I put in the Desmo Times fan upgrade kit. It was a little more money but included everything that I needed plus instructions.

http://www.desmotimes.com/

My ST3 as a "daily driver" and I use the manual override fan almost daily on the way home in traffic. It really does work!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think we are talking about 2 different functions

1) Demotimes fan upgrade is to replace existing factory for more cooling effect by having a switch to turn on prior to ecu turning on at 215.

2) Fan behind gas tank is just to cool the roasting chestnuts effect.

I could be wrong.

I too have the desmotimes fan and it sure is nice to flip the switch in traffic.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,072 Posts
Oh what a bunch of wussies. If you're old enough to be riding an ST you probably don't need them thangs anymore anyhow :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I wish mine would run hotter, it rarely gets over 70* C, even in hot weather.
Now that the weather here is below 20*C, it runs around 67*C.

Is this normal or should I look for something?

Craig

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Craig,
Same problem with my ST4s. I have found that my thermo fan kicks in early. I am lucky to get 80C idling after 15mins, pulled plug on fan and got 120C after 10mins idling. Rode the oxley the week before floods and could not get over 72C, not even on the long straights before Walcha and I was trying. They are definately running too cold at that temp.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nick & Craig

I think that 80C is a fine operating speed. 80C translates to 176 F. My ST will stay in that range as long as I am moving. The curse in these parts is riding in the heat (say 40C) in traffic. Sitting at a stop on my way home I can be at a light for several minutes and barely be moving at all until the next light. Hence the demand for a manually operated fan

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to try and mount the fan near the back of the tank aiming it slightly downward.I put an airhorn in there so I'm a bit tight, but after this weekend I'll give it a shot.
Since I'm in Canada I was even thinking of having a three way switch to blow the air backwards, IE, on to my leg in cold weather.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Roasted nuts

I was thinking more about this roasted nut problem the original poster was trying to solve. I've read the posts about this that have popped up over that last two years and I never have felt the heat they talk about. last night on the ride home I came up with a working theory.

The reason I believe I do not feel the heat is because I sit back away from the tank and as I ride air is scooped by my knees and funneled to, umm well you know where.

Soooooo I am wondering if those feeling the heat, are riding the tank and not getting the same benefit of fresh air and separation that I am getting.

Randy

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Looking at your avatar I'd say you are as close to the tank as me.:D

You are right. I tend to slid forward and my jewels are against the back of the tank. If I scoot back, the flowing are really helps. But, with my new Reflect-0-cool barrier, the tank is only warm and not hot. My problem has been solved.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,072 Posts
I just ride with my fly open ;)

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I never mind shoving my DUC between my legs ;-)

·
Registered
259 Posts
:D

I was waiting for someone to catch my avitar and make a comment about me riding the tank....:)

Glad you solved your problem!!!!!!

Randy

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
:D

I was waiting for someone to catch my avitar and make a comment about me riding the tank....:)

Randy
Must be really tricky for you at the stop lights:D.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I suppose the more exotic solution is to have a hot Italian mistress loving protect the boys with her gloves.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts