Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reluctant to post on a glitch, but maybe someone else encountered this and it's an easy fix. During boot up the dash lights up and after engine start the yellow ABS warning light goes out after a few seconds. Previously, on rare occasions the ABS light would stay on and I'd get a DTC OFF notice on the round screen. Now that's happening every few times I start. So far it corrects if I shut it down and re-start it, though yesterday I had to re-start twice to get it functioning normally. This started happening recently after an hour riding in the rain, but that could be coincidence, it's still doing it after several dry days.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Dadridesagain,
The yellow ABS light does not go off after a few seconds. It actually goes off after you move forward a certain distance. This is the ABS getting a good signal from the wheel sensors and activating.

From what you describe, this could be a bad or dirty sensor. These are sensors that take a signal from the notched disks on the wheels. If there is too much crap in the sensors they may give a bad signal and upset the ABS and therefore deactivate the DTC. The DTC needs the ABS to work.

My bike does the same thing exactly occasionally. I have a short steep ramp outside my garage where my bike is stored and I go across this at an angle in the first few metres after I start my bike every day. I think I am getting the message as there is a difference is the sensor input from the front and back wheels during the initial roll of the bike. I guess the bike senses different speeds of the front and back wheels and shuts off the ABS. Like you, a restart cures it.

·
Super Moderator
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TimOz, much appreciated. I'll look into finding and de-crapping my notches and/or sensors and see if that clears up the issue.

·
Registered
805 Posts
hi guys,
although not quite the same thing... (or maybe it is in Tim's case) , but you can disable the DTC by deliberatly "spinning up" the rear wheel ?

I think and hope this feature is simply a "low speed" saftey device.

cheers,
Witto.

·
Super Moderator
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In Australia if you spin out the back tire the bike pulls counterclockwise right? Here in N. America it pulls clockwise. Science. (Du-coriolis effect).

·
Registered
805 Posts
how on earth do you keep a bike hidden from your mom for two years ?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Ha ha... Ill bet
Cheers...

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Dadridesagain,
SO my problem got a bit worse. It took 2 restarts yesterday to get the ABS working. I got home at about midnight and had a look. Lots of crap and beake dust on the rear sensor especially. I cleaned it by squirting it with a can of brake cleaner solvent. I'll see how it goes today.

By the way, I am not a fan of cleaning my bike and it sees lots of commuting.

·
Super Moderator
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dadridesagain,
SO my problem got a bit worse. It took 2 restarts yesterday to get the ABS working. I got home at about midnight and had a look. Lots of crap and beake dust on the rear sensor especially. I cleaned it by squirting it with a can of brake cleaner solvent. I'll see how it goes today.

By the way, I am not a fan of cleaning my bike and it sees lots of commuting.
Hi TimOz, I imagine that'll fix it. I've been paying closer attention now that you explained the mechanism, and, in fact, it happens more when I start off with the handlebars turned as I often do after backing down my somewhat steep driveway into the street. When I've started out going straight the light goes out after just a few feet. Thanks again for explaining it.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
...they may give a bad signal and upset the ABS and therefore deactivate the DTC. The DTC needs the ABS to work...
Pedantic I know, but the DTC doesn't so much need ABS to work; it relies on the same sensors/signals as the ABS. :)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Hi Kitesurfer,
Pedantic indeed. What I meant is that IF the ABS is deactivated due to a fault, the DTC will also be turned off. In this way, the DTC needs ABS to be active for it to operate. It's certainly a software thing.

As always, I could be mistaken.

By the way. My ABS and DTC behaved perfectly today.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
A buddy of mine had a similar problem on his 2012 Touring model. It was simply a loose ground wire on the control unit, if I remember correctly. His handle is mkr1966.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
problem due to worn sensor cable

Just home from my pre-trip oil change and check-over. Turns out my ABS problem was due to the sensor cable having at some point been pushed against the tire or brake disc and getting worn through, but not completely worn through. He taped it up and zip tied it to a nearby stiffer cable, probably the brake cable, to prevent it from rubbing which should get me through this trip. New cable on order under warranty. So you might want to check your front ABS sensor cables and tie them off. Bit of a design oversight or I was just unlucky on this. Otherwise looking good to go, can't wait to hit the long and hopefully not too dusty road.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Update on this. Something to file away in case this is common.

My ABS and therefore DTC got worse and worse. It would orange light on every cold start and occasionally reset and worked on a restart but mostly not.

Tellingly, I found that on one occasion when the ABS was working I was weaving through traffic and it orange lighted when I turned the handlebars full left.

I took it into the local dealer this morning to confirm that the front sensor was having problems. Note that the MTS1200 uses the rear sensor for the speed and this never faulted or failed to display.

The dealer confirmed the front sensor had an issue and found that the factory had ziptied the sensor cable under the dash with a fold in the cable that was subjected to tension and bending as the steering was turned. It seemed to last slightly more than 2 years before it fractured and gave intermittent circuit. They fixed it and sent me on my way with and apology and no bill even though I am 2 months out of warranty.

Nice one Ducati.

·
Super Moderator
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good for them, and good for you. Similar problem on mine, different wear location on the sensor cable. The electrical tape / zip-tie fix is holding me until the warranty replacement cable arrives.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts