Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 Multistrada 1260gt that is an awesome bike, the only thing that bugs me is how instant the throttle fueling stops when letting off the throttle! There is no free wheeling it acts like a jake brake on a diesel truck. Anyone know of a cure? I tried the throttle spacer, and the flapper eliminator, neither did anything. A Rapid Bike tuner gets mixed reviews and adding a full exhaust to get a different map is a $2700 option that most say is to loud.. Thoughts ?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Are you in Sport mode? Touring mode has a much less abrupt fuel shut off. That's why I ride in Touring mode most of the time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Use touring mode a bit more often and keep the rpms up just a bit higher than normal. The throttle cut off is most abrupt below 4,500 rpm....in City gridlock traffic Urban works very well.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I always found engine braking on the Multi to be quite gentle due to the slipper clutch operation... but if you're in sport mode and abruptly drop throttle in a lower gear you'll still feel it. I'd suggest seeing it as an opportunity to enhance your throttle management (smooth throttle control is a valuable skill regardless of how you ride), but alternatively you can use urban or touring mode as mentioned above.

·
Registered
293 Posts
What are you comparing it to? I've always found the engine braking on the big Ducati twins very mild, compared to the competition. How long have you had the bike? Give yourself an opportunity to get used to it, before you start changing things.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are you comparing it to? I've always found the engine braking on the big Ducati twins very mild, compared to the competition. How long have you had the bike? Give yourself an opportunity to get used to it, before you start changing things.
I traded a 2018 KTM 1290s for it and although overall I now prefer my Multi the KTM had better fueling.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I always found engine braking on the Multi to be quite gentle due to the slipper clutch operation... but if you're in sport mode and abruptly drop throttle in a lower gear you'll still feel it. I'd suggest seeing it as an opportunity to enhance your throttle management (smooth throttle control is a valuable skill regardless of how you ride), but alternatively you can use urban or touring mode as mentioned above.
Did the Rapid bike you installed help overall or would you save your money next time ?

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Rapidbike may have helped smooth low rpm power deliver A BIT... but I'd not buy it for that. It doesn't really affect throttle response at all that I noticed. IMO it's a good product for keeping performance uniform and optimized as you make changes to the bike... not really worth investing in until you start making those changes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rapidbike may have helped smooth low rpm power deliver A BIT... but I'd not buy it for that. It doesn't really affect throttle response at all that I noticed. IMO it's a good product for keeping performance uniform and optimized as you make changes to the bike... not really worth investing in until you start making those changes.
Ok thank you

·
Hammer Down
1,648 Posts
I remember riding a Speed Triple behind a friend on a 2012 Multi, the engine braking was so much more than my Triple, at the next stop I asked if he would ride behind me. :D

When I test rode a 1260 S Touring, I didn’t notice it being much different than my 2014. I loved the engine braking though, rarely used brakes when winding through twisting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rode 200 miles today , passing 2000 miles on it now riding up pine creek and I barely noticed it today...my favorite bike ever!!

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Big twins feel like an on/off switch sometimes but like someone else said, you'll get used to it. 1260 fueling is pretty good from the test drives I've done, don't waste your money on RB, it ain't all that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went from decades of Harleys to a 2017 1200 MS. Absolutely love the MS, like going from dump trucks to a fighter jet. However, the immediate engine braking is crazy annoying and required the finesse of a brain surgeon to avoid jumpy throttle on/off. Switching to Touring mode as others mentioned was a big help. Now, if my MS would automatically switch the turn signal off and not have me sliding down the seat into the tank, I would be in biking nirvana.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Big twins feel like an on/off switch sometimes...
That is not entirely true. I used to ride BMW R1200RS and KTM 1190 Adv and they weren't as bad as Ducati on/off throttle.
And it has nothing to do with a free play at a throttle. BMW had ZERO free play while KTM had quite a lot. Whoever tells you that the famous throttle spacer helps with on/off throttle issue:
1. Just lying
2. Trying to justify their waste of money on horrendously overpriced piece of plastic
3. Need to learn how to smoothly operate a throttle
Throttle's free play is just a matter of preferences. Some people like it, some don't. The point is - it fixes nothing!

·
Registered
949 Posts
I just don't get the negativity here.
This engine compression which I would not call abrupt by any means, is fantastic.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Nothing negative. This is a character of the engine. I rode Aprilia Tuono V4 for 8 years (2012 and then 2017 models). They both had the same on/off jeekiness, even though 2017 had no throttle free play at all. It never bothered me too much. I loved Tuono! The only reason I sold it is that I needed something more comfortable for long rides (and at the same time keep my license ). So, I used to get very gental on low throttle with Tuono. Which is probably the reason, I'm ok with Ducati.
Multi is an amazing bike! The only case I'd consider selling it is if by the time of desmo service I won't get my hands on a service manual. I won't let anyone touch my bike, but I won't feel comfortable DIY without a proper manual.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Call me an unsophisticated rider, but I really don't care if my compression ratio is 9:1 or 12:1. I do care about performance, handling and comfort. I love my MS, however, in sport mode, it is the jumpiest critter at low speed throttle on/off that I've ridden since a 1968 Briggs and Stratton mini bike.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I love the thing on and off the racetrack. My Pikes Peak is exactly what I expected, but I come from a 748/853 to 916SPS, (had Bremers years before) and in fact imho the Multi is way more refined that my previous Ducati. Want lots of torque with instant acceleration? You'll get that in reverse too. A RB could be used to smooth that out, if you can't get used to it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: tngarren

·
Registered
98 Posts
Through years of riding a SV1000 and now a Multi, I've trained myself to naturally pull the clutch slightly when closing throttle. Call it a Manual Slipper Clutch.

Big twins are just that way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts