Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was told to post in this thread....

Hi all first post here. I currently have a 2005 Monster 620. It's a fine ride and I've put 6K on it in the first year. I don't ride daily but do ride more than one day a week for the most part. Longest ride was 10 hours (with stops) for 300 miles total...I was sore but rode again the next day.

I’m looking for a better sport bike setup because I’m scraping hard parts on the 620. The monster is not my first bike.

Questions:
Anyone go out for a 10 hour ride?
Crotch just too hot?
Anyone use the adjustable seat/tank (I'm 5"6 but I'm on the balls of my feet both sides when stopped)? But I’m thinking that moving forward a bit will reduce the constant stretch and allow for the stretch when required.

Gonna get a test ride tomorrow before I pull the trigger. I love Ducs!

Mike

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
749r

A warning from a 748R owner: make sure your bike focus is as narrow as the "R" models - the 749R is not a good "all-rounder" like many of the Japanese 600s, or the standard 749, for that matter.

If your intent is to use this bike for track days, you are looking at this bike in the proper light. If not, do yourself a favor and buy something else.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
rz33v4 said:
A warning from a 748R owner: make sure your bike focus is as narrow as the "R" models - the 749R is not a good "all-rounder" like many of the Japanese 600s, or the standard 749, for that matter.

If your intent is to use this bike for track days, you are looking at this bike in the proper light. If not, do yourself a favor and buy something else.
:confused: What you just said may apply to the 748R, but certainly not to the 749R.

Mike, get the 749R and i'm sure you won't regret it.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
rz33v4 said:
I'm not sure that is the right advice to say this.

The 748R and 749R are two completely different bikes, and while I don't know much else about the 748R since I have never had the pleasure of owning one, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the 749R is just as much an all-arounder as any Japanese 600 or the regular Ducati 749.... why do I know, because I have owned them all, taken them for endless thousands street miles, and taken them all to the track as well. The 749R is probably one of the best "all around sportbike" ever made, IMHO.

Its perfectly comfortable on street conditions and putts along the freeway with little or no effort and little or no difference whatsoever to the regular 749... and on the very same day, it can be perfectly competitive in an Open Twins race in fully stock trim - and win. It's really not as "narrow" in purpose as some people might think.

·
Registered
55 Posts
migz123 said:
I'm not sure that is the right advice to say this.

The 748R and 749R are two completely different bikes, and while I don't know much else about the 748R since I have never had the pleasure of owning one, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the 749R is just as much an all-arounder as any Japanese 600 or the regular Ducati 749.... why do I know, because I have owned them all, taken them for endless thousands street miles, and taken them all to the track as well. The 749R is probably one of the best "all around sportbike" ever made, IMHO.

Its perfectly comfortable on street conditions and putts along the freeway with little or no effort and little or no difference whatsoever to the regular 749... and on the very same day, it can be perfectly competitive in an Open Twins race in fully stock trim - and win. It's really not as "narrow" in purpose as some people might think.
Yeah, I rode my 999R for ~600 miles over the weekend and it was fine. Not that different comfort wise from my '02R1 or '04RR. I'd say more comfortable than R1 and less so than RR but not by much, they all beat you up but nothing major. I'm 5'9" 135 bike fits fine not too long of a reach and w/ pegs on the low setting it wasn't too bad for the legs either. One complaint I have is the low beam light - it lights up like 20 ft in front of your bike so at night you can't see anything unless you go 45mph. The high beam works fine so I just rode w/ my brights on.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
migz123 said:
Welcome!

For everything you need to know about the Ducati 749R (the 'giant slayer')... and more :D go to http://749r.info
Any links like this for the 999R? I was trying to find out how many Xerox bikes they planed on producing

·
comrade moderator
26,795 Posts
Wow...look at all the members who need to fill out their profiles in this thread alone!!!!The sheriff is on duty...;)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
m4f1a said:
... One complaint I have is the low beam light - it lights up like 20 ft in front of your bike so at night you can't see anything unless you go 45mph. The high beam works fine so I just rode w/ my brights on.
Have you tried changing the position of the low beam light? For some reason, both my 749's came with the low beam pointed almost straight down... you could see the line of the light right on the road... after having adjusted it to point higher it was a good improvement... I notice several other members of the board mention the same thing.

·
Registered
523 Posts
If someone that claims to enjoy motorcycles can't enjoy a Ducati 749, then they shouldn't ride bikes... Not everything needs to be Goldwing comfy, or require Toyota Corolla like maintenance levels...

Sometimes its okay to buy a dangerous bike that makes you sweat b/c it makes you anxious and on hot days, hot...

Sometimes it makes sense to buy a bike purely on the way it sounds, handles and looks with comfort, practicality and logic thrown to the wind...

The human body is resilient, flexible, and adaptable, why force a Ducati to be...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
RocketJohn said:
If someone that claims to enjoy motorcycles can't enjoy a Ducati 749, then they shouldn't ride bikes... Not everything needs to be Goldwing comfy, or require Toyota Corolla like maintenance levels...

Sometimes its okay to buy a dangerous bike that makes you sweat b/c it makes you anxious and on hot days, hot...

Sometimes it makes sense to buy a bike purely on the way it sounds, handles and looks with comfort, practicality and logic thrown to the wind...

The human body is resilient, flexible, and adaptable, why force a Ducati to be...
Well, whats funny is that I dont enjoy my 996 as much as I used to since I got the 999R Xerox. I have found that there is so much more room on the 999 for me, when I go back to riding the 996 It takes me a bit to get used to the confinement, but I do adapt to it, lol it doesnt adapt to me

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've a friend interested in a 749R after he tried my 999R, but the price is a bit high for him. He used to track a lot on an R1 and R6, but not anymore. He rides roads a lot, not commuting or anything...but a lot of country roads, straights and twisties. I assume this bike is suited just as well for that as it is for the track?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys, thanks for all of the feedback. I went for the "s" so as of today (haven’t taken delivery yet) I now own an 04 749s. I rode them both today and the “s” felt good for me. I’m 5’7” 135lbs and she really was scooting. Couldn’t do much because it only has 3k miles on it and the shop didn’t want me to rack up the miles but was able to hit two tight twisties, 2 miles of interstate and a little stop and go traffic. Gonna go up 2 on the back and put a DID gold chain (bling) on her and then pick it up later this week. YEA YEA YEA MAN!! :D :D :D

Only complaint, my nads were cooking! :eek: It has the full Termi system on it. God is sounds great! Think I might also have to wrap the pipes. Oh, and the mirrors are stupid. I'm use to my CRG's on the monster.

Oh, and I’ll update my profile sheriff! I might have to change my screen name too…

Mike

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Mike620ie said:
Guys, thanks for all of the feedback. I went for the "s" so as of today (haven’t taken delivery yet) I now own an 04 749s. I rode them both today and the “s” felt good for me. I’m 5’7” 135lbs and she really was scooting. Couldn’t do much because it only has 3k miles on it and the shop didn’t want me to rack up the miles but was able to hit two tight twisties, 2 miles of interstate and a little stop and go traffic. Gonna go up 2 on the back and put a DID gold chain (bling) on her and then pick it up later this week. YEA YEA YEA MAN!! :D :D :D

Only complaint, my nads were cooking! :eek: It has the full Termi system on it. God is sounds great! Think I might also have to wrap the pipes. Oh, and the mirrors are stupid. I'm use to my CRG's on the monster.

Oh, and I’ll update my profile sheriff! I might have to change my screen name too…

Mike
Congratulations--- send in some pics too, coz we won't believe you unless you post pics :D .... By the way, if you are planning on going up 2 in the back, you are not likely to feel the difference. If you are doing that, then it's probably better if you go -1 in front as well, then you will a nice difference in acceleration.

·
comrade moderator
26,795 Posts
I can't second the -1 suggestion in the front. Your 749 has a 14 tooth countershaft sprocket. A 13 is too small and will cause premature chain wear. Better to go up one more in the rear.

Oh...Congrats on a Killer Bike! I'll look the other way on the profile bit till you get it squared away...;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chuckracer said:
I can't second the -1 suggestion in the front. Your 749 has a 14 tooth countershaft sprocket. A 13 is too small and will cause premature chain wear. Better to go up one more in the rear.

Oh...Congrats on a Killer Bike! I'll look the other way on the profile bit till you get it squared away...;)
Owners manual does say that stock is 14/39. Have to agree, 13 would be silly. I wanted to go 43 in the back but the shop mechanic talked me out of it. He’s a good guy and I trust him. I’ll just need to ride it a bit to see how it feels with the 41. 3800 miles, ’04 with warranty until November, full Termi, not a scratch on it, Power Pilots with no abuse on the sides (has chicken strips, he, he, he) – 9.5k out the door. I think I did pretty well.

Mike

PS – photos as soon as I take delivery (tomorrow)

·
Registered
55 Posts
migz123 said:
Have you tried changing the position of the low beam light? For some reason, both my 749's came with the low beam pointed almost straight down... you could see the line of the light right on the road... after having adjusted it to point higher it was a good improvement... I notice several other members of the board mention the same thing.
The thought crossed my mind. I'll have the shop adjust it during hte 600 mile service. Mine shows the line as well, which i thought was normal just not quite that close to the bike! It lights up like 20 feet and that's it.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Mike620ie said:
Owners manual does say that stock is 14/39. Have to agree, 13 would be silly. I wanted to go 43 in the back but the shop mechanic talked me out of it. He’s a good guy and I trust him. I’ll just need to ride it a bit to see how it feels with the 41. 3800 miles, ’04 with warranty until November, full Termi, not a scratch on it, Power Pilots with no abuse on the sides (has chicken strips, he, he, he) – 9.5k out the door. I think I did pretty well.

Mike

PS – photos as soon as I take delivery (tomorrow)
Oops sorry guys ... I didn't realize that the 749s has a 14T front... thought it was 15.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts