Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am a few days away from purchasing my first Ducati, so I figured this would be worthy first post.

After considering the 996, I decided to go with the 748. I think it will suit me a bit better at this point. I was looking at this one, but I have a bad feeling about it. I got screwed the last time I purchased a car used, so I am really weary about this (how the hell do you drop a bike because you "dont know about the kickstand?) Any opinions on this bike? I am still waiting to hear from the seller to see if he has all service records and if he has done his 12k service yet.

EBay 748

Either way, I look forward to being part of the club.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
S54MCoupe said:
Hey everyone, I am a few days away from purchasing my first Ducati, so I figured this would be worthy first post.

After considering the 996, I decided to go with the 748. I think it will suit me a bit better at this point. I was looking at this one, but I have a bad feeling about it. I got screwed the last time I purchased a car used, so I am really weary about this (how the hell do you drop a bike because you "dont know about the kickstand?) Any opinions on this bike? I am still waiting to hear from the seller to see if he has all service records and if he has done his 12k service yet.

EBay 748

Either way, I look forward to being part of the club.
That bike makes me a little nervous, I wouldn't touch it without the service records or the 12K being performed pre-sale. Just my 2 cents.

Chris

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
although many are very problem free,that era of 748 is most likely to have issues.do yourself a favor and search this site to arm yourself with knowlage.could be a honest seller but would think if my bike had damage i would have fixed it long ago,rather than give the same old 0 mph fall story.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kaos said:
although many are very problem free,that era of 748 is most likely to have issues.do yourself a favor and search this site to arm yourself with knowlage.could be a honest seller but would think if my bike had damage i would have fixed it long ago,rather than give the same old 0 mph fall story.
My thoughts exactly. It just doesn't seem to add up. I have spent the past few days lurking and searching here. I read up about a lot of the problems with the 748 and I am weary, but it's nothing I havent dealt with before with my car.

We'll see what he says when he replies to my questions

·
Premium Member
8,655 Posts
As others have stated, service records in particular when it comes to flaking rockers. The 748 motor revs higher than the bigger displacement 4v bikes, therefore, the rockers get hammered that much more. Almost a 100% guarentee the rockers have gone bad or are currently bad. Simple Ducati rocker replacements aren't the fix either, that merely prolongs another event down the road. If the flakey rockers were megacycled, then I would feel good about that. If you have no record, I would back off. Further, another issue or two is flywheel nut backing out, cush drive bolts backing out, oil galley plug backing out, electrical issues like the rectifier/regulator burning up. What else?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I suggest you just find a good clean 03/04 749s and buy that, you will be much happier. I own a 1992 Corrado VR6 and I am also used to high maintenance "German style". If you are like me you get tired of dropping 300 here and 500 there every couple of months. The only reason I have not rode my 749 more this year is that I had a self inflicted lowside last year and couple parts orders from Ducati (They walk the parts across the Atlantic in deep sea divers gear). If I did not care about the cosmetics I would have been riding the hell out of her these last two months. You may not like the looks of the xx9 series bikes but truth be known the whole damn bike just really grows on you. You will get more than your fair share of hotties checking you out because they dont know or don't care who Tamburini and Terblanche are. All they see is Ducati!:)

·
Registered
835 Posts
HUmm

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wil start looking at 749's. I never had a problem with how they look, I think they're beautiful.

My car has a history of engine issues (not mine personaly) and it doesn't inspire much confidence when you have to worry about your rod bearings going out at high revs. The rocker problem kind of puts the 748 in the same boat. I'm suprised, the 749 isn't much more expensive, either.

·
Registered
372 Posts
the kickstand thing might be true, it happen to me before but I saved it with a friends help so i know it can happen.

·
Registered
75 Posts
deluxe68 said:
The 0 feedback scares me, not normal to sell a big ticket item as your first auction.
I agree on this one. There's no one in the right mind would sell a big ticket item on ebay for the first time unless they want to offload it without any recourse.

You may want to get a phone number from the guy, better still, if possible, maybe have another Ducati fanatic nearby stop off and do a basic check over on the bike.

If the guy is reluctant to accomodate you in this way, it'll be a sign that there's something wrong with the bike.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
What will they think of next?

(They walk the parts across the Atlantic in deep sea divers gear).

I have wondered how Ducati shipped their parts over here for ages and now I know.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The older superbikes had the auto-retracting sidestand. It's very easy to forget, and dump the bike.

Luckily, it's an easy fix.

I would think that you can find one pretty easy locally w/o having to retort to ebay to buy a bike?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Just a standard 748, not an "S" model, and it doesn't have any aftermarket goodies, not even a set of slip-ons......Even if it was in dead mint condition with full service history, I wouldn't go over his opening bid of $5500. For the $6500 that he states his reserve is, I'd want a minty, low-mileage 2001-2002 "S" model with service documentation.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Desmo_Demon said:
Just a standard 748, not an "S" model, and it doesn't have any aftermarket goodies, not even a set of slip-ons......Even if it was in dead mint condition with full service history, I wouldn't go over his opening bid of $5500. For the $6500 that he states his reserve is, I'd want a minty, low-mileage 2001-2002 "S" model with service documentation.
Apparently you aren't the only one thinking that with the bids so far. Even Blue Book says a "mint" 748 should be around that. Let alone with minor damage in the worst selling time of year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still looking for the right bike. All of the ones that are in good shape/low mileage and serviced properly are not the color I really want. Vain, I Know, but I don't want to regret the purchase. There are a few I am going to look at over the next few days, so we'll see.

I'm getting a bit impatient, haha.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts