Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the threads on removing the pillion rider grip on pre-dvt models, but thought I'd ask if anyone has cut off their dvt's. I'm worried about running into trouble with the metal mount points for the top case bracket (see pic): are they just metal cylinders or larger pieces that will interfere with a flush cut across the tail? Any other tips?

I plan to use a small hacksaw then file down the nubs, then sand / paint. Thanks in advance-

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
It's your bike... but I think that's a terrible idea.

Reactions: E-riko

·
Bon Vivant
11,316 Posts
Are you keeping it forever? Because it will kill resale - I certainly wouldn't buy such a butchered bike...
Everybody thinks they will keep their bike but sooner or later you will want to sell - butcher it and you will get killed on the value.

·
Registered
402 Posts
How will you get the bike on the center stand without those rails? I guess no passengers either? Those rails look pretty good to me and well integrated into the overall design. With the top box on, how would you ever notice the side rails detracting from the look given the bulbous top box?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Cutting the handles off a 2010 to 2014 can really improve the looks, but the 2015 and on looks like it won't work as well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Why do you all think that is not good idea? Finally, when he will going to sell his bike he can find on ebay a whole detail from a some junkyard.
If he ride alone, why not?
I think there is not anything else but round nuts fused in plastic. Standard solution in machinery.

·
Registered
164 Posts
accelerating, please, make a pictures after all, it's very interesting what will you get

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I get the idea of the super clean smooth lines you may be going for and would like to see pictures of how it turns out. A sleek smooth rear cowl always looks great in my eyes.

But I personally wouldn't do it because I use those grab rails a lot for securing gear. And it sounds like reversing your decision might be tough.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Why do you all think that is not good idea? Finally, when he will going to sell his bike he can find on ebay a whole detail from a some junkyard.
If he ride alone, why not?
I think there is not anything else but round nuts fused in plastic. Standard solution in machinery.
that whole part is not plastic...in fact its a very solid piece of metal

so, yeah, I'm curious to see him tackle his bike

·
Registered
57 Posts
How will you get the bike on the center stand without those rails? I guess no passengers either? Those rails look pretty good to me and well integrated into the overall design. With the top box on, how would you ever notice the side rails detracting from the look given the bulbous top box?
I grab the passenger footpeg loop when I'm using the centrestand because I am wee, and find the passenger grabrail is too high to use comfortably.
But, cannot see any sense in butchering the passenger grabrails for some "aesthetic" benefit. As said, "you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear". :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, Anakin. This is the sort of information I'd hoped to get here.

I don't know why so many of you shared your opinion about whether cutting the grips is a good idea. It's obvious that that's not what this thread was meant for.

So long as I don't have to read more comments like the ones clogging up this thread, I'm down to write up how things turn out. Which would be interesting for some members. So shut the fuck up you fucking nitwits.

·
Registered
277 Posts
got issues? agressive nature? something wrong with you in general? whats with the cursing and insulting?

You ask for an opinion, you got it, lots of em and you disagree, go cry elsewhere where they will be more compliant.

Funny, you asked your fellow DVT owners about cutting the bike, you received our opinions and snif it all away just because most of us shared an opinion thats the exact opposite to the opinion you really wanted to hear.

Opinion are like assholes, everyone has one, you might like it or not.
You gotta accept that, if you can't, whats the point of joining a forum in the first place? :|

With that kind of constructive communication you're a hair away from a ban imo.

By all means, cut your bike with a hacksaw, it'll surely be entertaining for us fucking nitwits.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts

I don't know why so many of you shared your opinion about whether cutting the grips is a good idea. It's obvious that that's not what this thread was meant for.

So long as I don't have to read more comments like the ones clogging up this thread, I'm down to write up how things turn out. Which would be interesting for some members. So shut the fuck up you fucking nitwits.
Same to you. I think it would be easier if you used a chain saw. A hacksaw will take too long...

Reactions: dharma

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With that kind of constructive communication you're a hair away from a ban imo.
[/I].
Cordial yes. Patsy no.

E-riko, being online doesn't mean you can take a disrespectful tone.

If I can't tell members of this forum to fuck off when they imply to me that I'm stupid for the modifications I make to my bike, then it's not a place I will spend my time.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Cordial yes. Patsy no.

E-riko, being online doesn't mean you can take a disrespectful tone.

If I can't tell members of this forum to fuck off when they imply to me that I'm stupid for the modifications I make to my bike, then it's not a place I will spend my time.
Again, most here expressed their opinions and from both your replies so far you don't hide your disapproval.

But by all means, dont let us fucking nitwits stop you from hacksawing/cutting into your Ducati.
While most of us wouldn't do this, let alone think about it, being fucking nitwits, I'm sure we're all eyes and look forward to your progress report..........

·
Registered
348 Posts
You were hoping to get incorrect information :confused:

As E-riko already mentioned: this part appears to me to be metal not plastic as Anakin has suggested. I'm not sure where you're planning to cut, but I wouldn't be surprised if portions of the grab handles are hollow. If having solid metal is important for the look you're trying to achieve, I'd suggest drilling a small (1/16"?) hole into the bottom of the grab handles to verify that they're solid before you start cutting...

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
You were hoping to get incorrect information :confused:

As E-riko already mentioned: this part appears to me to be metal not plastic as Anakin has suggested. I'm not sure where you're planning to cut, but I wouldn't be surprised if portions of the grab handles are hollow. If having solid metal is important for the look you're trying to achieve, I'd suggest drilling a small (1/16"?) hole into the bottom of the grab handles to verify that they're solid before you start cutting...
They appear to be some sort of high impact plastic, but they may have metal reinforcement and they are almost certainly hollow.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts