Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone who has changed them confirm that the clamps that hold the quick disconnects to the hoses are a crimped on, so cut them off and throw them away because they can't otherwise be removed and reused kind of part? That's what they look like, but maybe there is a tool that does the job that I am unaware of since my spannering experience is with more...mature products. As my friend Nigel (a former BSA factory rider and mechanic) in the UK told me recently when advising how to fix an issue with my BSA, remember that factory specialty tools numbers 1 thru 20 are all hammers....
Thanks for any enlightenment!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yes, cut them off if you wish. I replaced mine with hose end finishers from Goodridge, or Demontweaks. Do a google search I'll post a pic latter.

·
Registered
674 Posts
i reused mine. you can get away w it, they are still tight as a virgins honeypot.
the tool to open them is called pliers. the tool to re crimp is called wirecutters.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the tool to open them is called pliers. the tool to re crimp is called wirecutters.
Pretty high tech tools...not sure I have the skill to wield them properly.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
There is a name for those clamps...

So while looking for a "pretty" hose clamp I discovered what you actually call those original fuel line clamps (single pinch or ear clamps!) and that you ARE supposed to use a special tool (if you are not a bodger) to properly crimp them and that they ARE indeed intended as a one use device.
McMaster-Carr
So I am cutting mine off and using a different type from McMaster (stainless steel miniature bolt hose clamp) that I can remove and reuse since I imagine this won't be the last time I will need to replace the crappy stock plastic quick disconnects.

·
Registered
674 Posts
did you just call me a badger?

you have any pics of your victor or 750 on this forum? I likes me some old bikes.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry TD, I didn't intend to offend you. Or imply that you are a formidable and furry animal from Wisconsin either. But in this case I personally don't feel too good about reusing a single use clamp which if it fails is going to spray high pressure gas straight down onto the nice hot exhaust pipe 6 inches below it. I have no desire to go down the street looking like Richard Pryor jogging. I did consider just safety wireing the quick disconnect tight to the outlet as my problem is it will no longer click and lock into position and stay. I can pull down on it without squeezing the sides and it comes off the outlet. Stupid design. And the safety wire (or perhaps a cable tie, but I do airplanes so saftey wire is my go to bodge) would likely solve that problem. There are however many other less life threatening things, especially on my more mature rides, that I have gladly "badgered" to keep them on the road. As to pix of the oldies, there used to be a stickey thread about "other rides" here (that as far as I can tell is now gone) where I had posted pictures of the stable several years ago. Not too many people here interested in my dinosaurs.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Not too many people here interested in my dinosaurs.
Oh I don't think that is true at all. Feel free to post all the photos you want! I think quite a few of us would enjoy seeing them.

As for the crimp-on clamps, I prefer to replace them with fuel-injection rated screw clamps from NAPA or a similar supplier. Ducati used to fit them until they went to these crimp-on clamps, probably to save money. Don't buy those cheap clamps from the hardware store. They can cut the lines and cause a failure.

LOL at the badger comments!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'd love to see all of your Dinosaurs, the whole Jurassic Park!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dinosaur pictures

Since I have still not learned how to easily post pictures (I am a dinosaur just like my bikes) and a whole TWO people expressed interest in the oldies, I looked up my original post. So here it is... enjoy.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport-classic/29052-another-way-skin-cat.html
The dinos still look the same, but there have been some major changes made to the S1K since these were taken. These two Brits are the bikes I really wanted when they were new and I couldn't afford, and they still are beautiful bikes to me...but as a functioning motorcycle, the Duc is a whole lot better. But the dinos are still a lot of fun to ride and I always get way more thumbs up from cagers and pedestrians when I ride them, especially the BSA. In fact, BSA must have imported about half a million Victors to the US given how many old dudes have told me they had one back in the day! I always tell them they can take it for a ride if they can start it. The results are always predictable. Sorry-no pix of the bevel which is currently in about a million pieces scattered around my living room, basement and garage.

·
Registered
674 Posts
i had the same problem w the connectors not clicking into place. but also my o -rings were shot.

for anyone that has probs w leaking fuel from these you may want to try the o rings 1st. otherwise its 40 bones on the new connectors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts