Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have been riding my 900 SP everyday since I got it and I'm trying to get used to it's Italian handling. As you all know the steering radius of our bikes is like turning a bus in an alley! I have noticed while making slow u-turns that I have almost dropped the bike. It's a weird feeling when you try to countersteer and the bike feels like it's going to fall over. I have never had this sensation in any of my previous non Ducati motorcycles. Is there any advise you can give me aside from "get used" to it? I'm starting to get paranoid making neccessary slow turns. I don't want to drop the bike again. :confused:

·
Registered
503 Posts
You really do just have to plan it out more than you might on a different bike. Just assume you may have to make a 3-pt turn, but other than that, you really just do get used to it the more you ride it..

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I make a slow turn, left or right, I don't countersteer, I counter balance.

Oops, sorry I meant counter balance not steer. Been up 8 hours on graveyard:sleep: I guess my issue is counter balancing.....the bike just stops wanting to turn at a certain part of the turn and if it's on an incline, she feels like she wants to lay down. I have been making turns with both feet on the ground and must look really silly:mad:

·
Mr Leakered
8,810 Posts
I posted a similar question on the sporttouring forum:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=59709

Besides the usual advice, a lot of folks confirmed the extra effort the STs and, it looks like, the SSs share.

In my best estimate, I would contribute it to a lack of steering head angle at the stops after comparing it to my old bike and closely observing a cycle cop demo. I have my ST set to within a hair of contact, but it is still less than I would like for this maneuver.

I'm still waiting for a nice weekend to get out and practice this some more.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Not to offend anyone, but spin it on its kick stand. I know that this is a controversial issue, but it works great in tight quarters.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
check your head bearings. The design on the ss plain downright sucks. No seals, no way to hold the grease, and nothing to keep out the dirt.

You don't need to completely drop the forks to clean and grease them, but I have seen better sealed head bearings on bikes from the 20's...

It will make a world of difference.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
OK definitely don't do it with a 500 pound 851, or a 916 type bike (prone to problems). But I did it many times with my 400 pound SS (when it had a kickstand), have seen many a dealer do it with SS'es also. Never had a problem. There is a old thread on this read it and decide for yourself. Also backing the steering stops all the way may help, but your controls on your clip ons will hit the upper fairing. As for Rduc851 having "seen many" sidestands crack, I have heard of this happening, have seen the results, but never witnessed one in person. Wonder what his definition of "many" is, or for that matter "seen". In person I have seen one broken, and one bent but I was not there when it happened. Have seen several pics on the web.
Read the old thread.
Mark

·
Registered
294 Posts
Try point the wheel the direction of desired travel, hold the front brake, rev the motor to about 4K with the bike in first gear, dump the clutch while holding the brake. When the bike gets point the direction you want to go, release the front brake, and off you go!!!

I saw it on superbikes the other night. Man, those guys are good!:D

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
As for Rduc851 having "seen many" sidestands crack, I have heard of this happening, have seen the results, but never witnessed one in person. Wonder what his definition of "many" is...
In this context, "many" can be considered "any". Seriously, what does it matter "how many" engine cases have busted open because someone twirled their bike around on the sidestand? The fact that it's EVER happened should be reason enough not to do it.

To the OP:

Practice.
Practice.
Practice.

That's how you do U-turns on a Ducati...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Stop missing your turn and you won't have to worry about u-turns. :)

Seriously though, here in dfw there is gravel on every turn, so I take my time. Always better for someone to think you're slow or funny to watch than to drop your duc! You're out some good $$ and you look really stupid trying to do something you can't, and failing. Walk it through the turn, turn left and turn left at the next light, then the next, or 3 point it.

Beat up your ego, not your bike. It's much cheaper to repair... Just a flick of the wrist.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
When I make a slow turn, left or right, I don't countersteer, I counter balance.
This is the correct answer.

Counter-balancing means making the bike lean more than it needs to for the speed. Hence, left-turn, move your butt (and weight) to the right. The bike will lean more to the left, thus reducing the turning-radius.

Gilles

·
Registered
102 Posts
Short Turn Radius Ducs

It's one of the reasons our bikes are unique. If everyone could ride one, they'd be from an island further to the East. But, I know your pain.
S:)

·
Registered
396 Posts
As for Rduc851 having "seen many" sidestands crack, I have heard of this happening, have seen the results, but never witnessed one in person. Wonder what his definition of "many" is, or for that matter "seen". In person I have seen one broken, and one bent but I was not there when it happened. Have seen several pics on the web.
Read the old thread.
Mark
Ahhh Haa, Well, with me own two Orbs I have seen Three (3) personally damaged. Two 900ss machines with cracked cases, bad stuff. The third an ST2 bent and snapped the kick stand which was of the aluminum variety. I have been told by competant mechanics of seven (7) others wankered by the tricky tactic in question. All in all not worth it to spend $$$$ when the turning aspect is easy with practice. Over the years I can turn these machines without putting a foot down, U turns, whatever. Even balance at a stoplight without using the ole' tootsies. Simple throttle/clutch control does wonders (and a GAS GAS 321! :D) Anyhow, unless you like damage don't bother using the kick stand, hell just looking at the assinine design one should see what a disaster in the making lies there!;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
i can do a full circle inside of a single lane on my harley sportster.

i have to take 3 lane widths to do a U turn on the ducati.... sometimes if i dont walk it through the turn and im trying to ride it, i will lock up the steering and thats a scary feeling becuase your trying to turn and its stuck and you feel like your going down.

i got used to it, thats just the way a racebike is. want floppy steering get something more laid back

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also use the mx technique of putting my inside leg out near the front axle, of course only for those 1-3 mph maneuvers!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I live in the city and u-turns are a way of life until you get out on the freeways or coast roads. I have swallowed my pride and do foot down u- turns now. I almost lost it again yesterday. I think what's happening is as I make a left/ u-turn I sometimes need more "left input to keep my balance and there's no more......hence I feel like I'm going down. I have to keep in mind......it is a race bike made to go fast not turn slow on public roads:D. My POS Hyosung GT250 R can do cirlces in an alley and just got used to that.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
This is the correct answer.

Counter-balancing means making the bike lean more than it needs to for the speed. Hence, left-turn, move your butt (and weight) to the right. The bike will lean more to the left, thus reducing the turning-radius.

Gilles
Time to get some of those plastic pylons (6 of them), make 2 side by side squares (each 3m `10ft), and 1 in the middleof each square, and do figure 8's.

Look where you want to go, and start the practise of counter-balancing whilst staying inside the squares. I've seen guys/gals do this on their big Fat-Bob's, and soft-tail Harleys, and I do it on my Monster without hitting the steering limit. Read some Keith Code. Good instruction.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts