Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 monster620... the choke lever on the left handle bar...i am using it always when i ride (about half way so the idle sits around 1000rpm)because the idle is too low... does that make me a bad person? i know that i need a tune up, but i am recording right now and there isn't any time. seriously, is it ok that i do that?

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
monstergirl said:
2005 monster620... the choke lever on the left handle bar...i am using it always when i ride (about half way so the idle sits around 1000rpm)because the idle is too low... does that make me a bad person? i know that i need a tune up, but i am recording right now and there isn't any time. seriously, is it ok that i do that?
you are a bad girl in need of a spanking, now go to your room.

seriously, is it ok that i do that?
you should be fine for the time being, but get that looked at.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
I don't know either one of you ;) but I think I would have the idle adjusted.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's not actually a choke, it simply sets a throttle position. You need the set screw adjusted, and possibly the throttle cable. If you look at the right side of the motor and twist the throttle you will see a cam moving; at full closed it sets against a set screw. This is the idle setting and needs reset to hold the cam a bit more open. In the same location is an adjustment at the end of the throttle cable sleeve. This should be adjusted to remove the slack, but not so that throttle is changed when the handlebars are turned to the stops (usually full left will cause an RPM increase if the throttle cable is too tight). These are simple adjustments using very basic tools...you could do it yourself.
If it were really a choke, always having it on could be bad and indicates other more serious issues...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
what are you calling ' too low' ??

You can ride with it on but once the thing gets some temp into it it should idle (read PULSE) away happily.. if it stops it's too low.. if it runs it's fine.

how's them apples??

Mal

·
Registered
403 Posts
Many riders use the fast idle as a simple cruise control. The mechanism can be adjusted and a few more miles per hour can be had. There is a roller behind the plate that you see from the riders RH and it can rust real easy. Check it out and lube it well.

Dave Harhay

·
Registered
70 Posts
dharhay said:
Many riders use the fast idle as a simple cruise control. The mechanism can be adjusted and a few more miles per hour can be had. There is a roller behind the plate that you see from the riders RH and it can rust real easy. Check it out and lube it well.

Dave Harhay
Guys, can you confirm if the choke lever also works this way for the 06 999? I did this mod to my old bike, a Suzuki GSXR 1000, and it worked as a great cruise control lever. I'd like to do it again with this bike, if possible.

*Dan

·
Registered
84 Posts
I imagine you can adjust the fast idle lever to do the same for your 999.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hickey said:
I imagine you can adjust the fast idle lever to do the same for your 999.
Thanks. I just wanted to confirm, because I, ahem, read the owner's manual for a change, and it recommended against using the lever "when the bike is already warm". I don't always believe what I read, so I guess I'll give it a look-sie the next time I have the tank off.

*Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts