Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Sport 1000, 2005 R1200GS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a customized tune will make you fall in love all over again. Let me explain...

I have a 2006 SC with Termi exhaust 2:2, open airbox with the K&N filters, 8mm ignition cables, dry clutch, and smaller front chain sprocket. This bike does have the DP ECU but its not perfect because in ways its still a generic tune.
Before the tune taking low speed turns in 1st was jerky. Any slight twitch in my wrist and the bike would want to attack the road; so cruising down a bumpy backroad the bike lunges forward over any bump or rock. Couldn't upshift to conserve fuel or just cruise, it just kept screaming at me "race bike, race bike, lets drop a gear and disappear". You get the point, it was a bit scary and uncontrollable to ride.
After the tune all those issues above are gone and the ridiculous backfiring is no more (kind of miss that). The throttle response is magnificent! Absolutely mind blowing. I can now control my turns, no jerking around, I went on a legit Sunday drive going 35 in 5th gear around town. I than would accelerate from 35 up to 60 and the bike just accepted it without any fussing. This is my first Ducati and I just thought they were wild machines that were meant to be fast and scary.. I was dead wrong this is a beautiful symphony of sound, style, and speed; a true work of art. Now I have a new love for this machine.

Anyways a couple questions your probably wondering
How much and what will I need?​
I spent a total of $249.48​
- $200 is the cheapest option if you want to do it yourself. (super easy)​
-$37.76 Lonelec cables / connects ECU to phone​
-$11.72 for the app TuneECU (android phones ONLY)​
Does my bike really need it?​
If you have any aftermarket hardware that correlates to performance (i.e. exhaust, intake, sprockets) I recommend it. Stock bikes can benefit but you should really consider installing any mods first so you only have to pay for the tune once.​
I don't have a DP ECU can I still do this?​
Yes, an ECU is an ECU there are just different tune maps loaded onto them.​
In the email from DNKTuneWorks they include your custom tune based on your modifications, a how-to video, and written instructions. They were super helpful when I called cause I was trying to be cheap and use GuzziDiag and not buy the app. Long story short just buy the app its actually more user friendly. You can find a cheaper OBD connector than the Lonelec. I got the Lonelec because that's what all the forum guys said to buy to hook up with guzzidiag and reset the tps. That brings me to my next point, the tuneECU app is awesome, it obviously reflashes the ECU with the new map but it has the feature to reset your tps and other functions like reading error codes and giving you real time information about your bike (i.e. battery, weather, rpm, mph, tps, ect...) The downside is you must use an Android phone because the apps only available on the google play store and no you cant use your computer because that version is out of date for some reason unknown. I had an old one laying around but you can get one for cheap off ebay or use a friends if your an iPhone guy/gal.

·
Registered
'06 Sport1000, '16 Thruxton R, '18 Bobber Black, '16 R1200R, '18 R1200RT
34 Posts
and starting yesterday through the end of the year, we're running a 10% discount through the holidays.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your position. You're saying the DP ECU tune is a generic guess so you're replacing it with someone else's generic guess?

·
Registered
2006 Sport 1000, 2005 R1200GS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure I understand your position. You're saying the DP ECU tune is a generic guess so you're replacing it with someone else's generic guess?
@fastgas consider this when Ducati created this bike they made a map that would work as a baseline for all models that came with the same hardware. So if you do any modifications to your bike that affect the fuel/air ratio and other variables it is wise to get a professional tune. Another factor to consider is every engine will have minor differences with clearances. If you wanted to spend the money and dyno tune your bike that's the best case scenario but its super $$$. Now @TheDivaDanielle could explain this better. But its a science, you want to maximize your efficiency because a termi exhaust has different resistance than a stock exhaust and so on with other components like air intakes. DNKTuneWorks made an effective map for my bike and I wanted to share my experience with all of you. I am extremely satisfied and would recommend it to anyone else considering it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
@fastgas consider this when Ducati created this bike they made a map that would work as a baseline for all models that came with the same hardware. So if you do any modifications to your bike that affect the fuel/air ratio and other variables it is wise to get a professional tune. Another factor to consider is every engine will have minor differences with clearances. If you wanted to spend the money and dyno tune your bike that's the best case scenario but its super $$$. Now @TheDivaDanielle could explain this better. But its a science, you want to maximize your efficiency because a termi exhaust has different resistance than a stock exhaust and so on with other components like air intakes. DNKTuneWorks made an effective map for my bike and I wanted to share my experience with all of you. I am extremely satisfied and would recommend it to anyone else considering it.
I'm glad their tune works well for your application. I'm just never a fan of spending 75% of a custom tune on a generic tune.

·
Registered
'06 Sport1000, '16 Thruxton R, '18 Bobber Black, '16 R1200R, '18 R1200RT
34 Posts
Not really a generic tune when it's based off of tuning an identically modded bike.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts