Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry is this has been discussed. Looking for better mpg than my big block suburban 10mpg and have a little fun on the back roads on the way home. 796 or 1100. Eying an 08 1100 is the mpg loss on worth the fun factor? what are people getting for mpg? Odd question I know but I get my speed fix on my 1198.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If I ride my 1100 on the highway, cruising anywhere between 120~160km/h ( 75~100mph) I will get between 16~19km to a litre which would be between 45~54MPG

If I ride it hard I get 12km to a litre which is 34MPG.

·
Registered
757 Posts
your name says torqueaddict.... 1100 it is for you.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Commute is pretty much all I've had the chance to do this summer on my Evo SP :(

I get about 130-140km from a tank on typical spirited commute riding.

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
The Hyper is a born commuter! While some complain of it's high seat height, the flip side to that is a fantastic view above most vehicles as well as a nice visual footprint for others to see you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've got the EVO SP and it does ok as a commuter. 46 mpg is what I'm averaging with a lot of highway miles. It's good in that at slow speeds you can look around better than on other bikes which makes lane splitting easier. Marginal in that 45 miles of freeway at speed above 75, theres a lot of wind blast. I'm slowly get used to it, and if the commute were shorter it probably wouldn't bother me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hyper is good if there's not a ton of stop and go. I'm in NYC and traffic is a nightmare with the dry clutch. You might enjoy something a bit more comfortable if traffic is an issue. On the other hand, I zip up the side of traffic pretty easy with the Hyper.

However as compared to a 1098, all tucked over is less than ideal as a commuter. But just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
17 Posts
As someone else said, it's about all I've had time to do with mine this summer. 4-5 days a week, about 30 mile roundtrip and with the 6 gallon tank, I fill up about every three weeks at a cost of about 25-30 bucks.
The ride position is great as you are upright.
And the best part is, I actually look forward to commuting now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I ride to work at least 1 day per week. The commute is 70 miles round trip and I get about 105 miles per tank. So the mileage is no better than my Honda Fit. The wind was bad at first, but I'm used to it now.

I would say it's the most fun you can have on your commute!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Be sure and get plenty of back roads. The windblast on the Hyper limits me to around 120-125 on a straightaway run. I get around 42-43mpg, around the same as my smart car, which is good considering the engine in the Hyper is bigger. The DP seat is quite comfortable, easily burning through a full tank without a break. Commuter, absolutely. Fun? The most fun I've had in 30 years of riding.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replys you guys are making this easy... I'll go look at a 1100 this weekend. As much as I hate to say i think I'm going to let the 1198 go.

How many miles are you guys putting on a year?

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,377 Posts
I usually avg 46-50mpg on my 796. Best bike to have to get around town and run errands. I'll put anywhere from 600- to 800 miles a month.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I plan on reasearching this but is there any consistent reliability issues in correlation with racking up miles? The one I'll be looking at has 2500 miles. Also looking at the wr250x different animal but has a service interval of 15k miles

My commute would be around 50-60 miles a day 66/33 highway/town. If i ride it 80% of the time it'll saving me around $250/month gas minus the insurance... Damn near pays for it self

·
Registered
56 Posts
Think twice.

If you will be riding at 75+ mph for more than about 20 miles a day I would think twice about the hyper unless you plan on buying a windscreen. The wind can be a bit much. The hyper 1100 is my first streetbike so I do not have much to compare with.

-Cheers

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Be sure and get plenty of back roads. The windblast on the Hyper limits me to around 120-125 on a straightaway run. I get around 42-43mpg, around the same as my smart car, which is good considering the engine in the Hyper is bigger. The DP seat is quite comfortable, easily burning through a full tank without a break. Commuter, absolutely. Fun? The most fun I've had in 30 years of riding.
You say the like the dp seat ? How much better over stock? I've been going back and forth over dp or Sargent . The dp looks way better than Sargent . The Sargent looks like a cruiser style seat but comfort is top priority for this much $$$

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought an 1100 and use it as a commuter/fun bike. Haven't gotten below 40mpg yet after putting on about 1200 miles.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I commute with my 2010 1100 std evo 3x per week-11 miles each way. I have over 6000 miles on my almost 2 year old bike and love this low end torque monster for everything except chugging along at less than about 30 mph. I have the Termi slipons and dp ecu which makes it sound like a Ducati should, doesn't backfire as much on deceleration but does not run smooth at slow speeds-almost the same as before. Get rid of those mirrors, I put the Aprilia Torino ones on mine, and it's the most fun I've ever had on the road. Did I say "low end torque monster".

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you will be riding at 75+ mph for more than about 20 miles a day I would think twice about the hyper unless you plan on buying a windscreen. The wind can be a bit much. The hyper 1100 is my first streetbike so I do not have much to compare with.

-Cheers
needed that... I can be an impulse buyer, have to work on not buying the first thing I see

Had all sorts of bikes from yzf400 to 1198, do these have more street bike charatoristics or dirtbike. I live out in the sticks, the county has 1 stoplight, and the roads are..... a little rough

·
Registered
56 Posts
The hyper is most at home in the "sticks" or city streets. The bike is an absolute blast under 70-75 mph. Above that can be a bit sketchy. Maybe the DP wind screen and a stabilizer could change that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The hyper is most at home in the "sticks" or city streets. The bike is an absolute blast under 70-75 mph. Above that can be a bit sketchy. Maybe the DP wind screen and a stabilizer could change that.
I've got the DP wind screen. It moves the "sketchy" speed to about 103, at which point I get excessive wind and head shake. It's quite happy with my 18-mile commute at speeds of 80 or below.

Plan on using a backpack for storage. It's a cheap, practical solution. I've got a North Face with sternum and pelvic straps and it is solid as a rock and holds a laptop and other such stuff just fine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts