Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first Streetfighter in June of '17. A cherry, low-mileage red 2014 SF848 with some tasteful mods. Rode it for 6 months before I started having liter-bike envy. By Christmas, I was searching nationwide Craigslist ads looking for the perfect low-mile, like-new S model in Racing titanium. I found her up in New Jersey, and negotiated the sale and shipping to haul her out to me in San Francisco. I kept both for about 6 months, because having two is really nice to split miles between, and the wet-clutch was great around the city. I eventually sold the 848 and only had the S model. A few months go by, and the buyer of the 848 called to tell me he had crashed in a minor lane changing incident, and the insurance company was calling it a loss. I began searching the insurance auction sites for my region and lo and behold, there it was! I placed a bid, and surprise, won it back at less than half the price I sold it for. It only needed a right side footpeg and brake lever, which I had as take offs from my current SFS. In a few hours of tinkering and cleaning, I have my baby back on the road. My stable is loaded with twins again, and I couldn't be happier to have a bike for friends to ride when they come to visit (like my buddy in photo). Here they are, Red and Blue. :yeah:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
That's a very interesting story. If you want your SFS to have a clutch that's less grabby and very similar to your 848SF wet clutch. Get rid of the six individual spring caps on the SFS clutch and install a one piece spider spring retainer. It's one of the best mods I've made and it's inexpensive. An Oberon clutch slave will also make the pull much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the suggestion! I have an EVR soft slave on it, and it's smooth now that I have treated the disks to the lithium bath treatment. Just in general the wet clutch was more adapted to the hilly environment of San Francisco. I'm also more prone to ride the 848 to run city errands because the 1098 is blingier and gets more attention from thieves.

That's a very interesting story. If you want your SFS to have a clutch that's less grabby and very similar to your 848SF wet clutch. Get rid of the six individual spring caps on the SFS clutch and install a one piece spider spring retainer. It's one of the best mods I've made and it's inexpensive. An Oberon clutch slave will also make the pull much easier.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am looking for a spider spring retainer like you mentioned. It was THAT good? How did it improve your clutch?

·
Registered
172 Posts
It's that good. It eliminates the grabby judder. It makes the dry clutch feel like an oil clutch.

Very curious about this. I've seen one on Ebay for about 35 bucks. So you're saying it removes the grabby clutch when taking off in first?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought my first Streetfighter in June of '17. A cherry, low-mileage red 2014 SF848 with some tasteful mods. Rode it for 6 months before I started having liter-bike envy. By Christmas, I was searching nationwide Craigslist ads looking for the perfect low-mile, like-new S model in Racing titanium. I found her up in New Jersey, and negotiated the sale and shipping to haul her out to me in San Francisco. I kept both for about 6 months, because having two is really nice to split miles between, and the wet-clutch was great around the city. I eventually sold the 848 and only had the S model. A few months go by, and the buyer of the 848 called to tell me he had crashed in a minor lane changing incident, and the insurance company was calling it a loss. I began searching the insurance auction sites for my region and lo and behold, there it was! I placed a bid, and surprise, won it back at less than half the price I sold it for. It only needed a right side footpeg and brake lever, which I had as take offs from my current SFS. In a few hours of tinkering and cleaning, I have my baby back on the road. My stable is loaded with twins again, and I couldn't be happier to have a bike for friends to ride when they come to visit (like my buddy in photo). Here they are, Red and Blue. :yeah:
Man, have you tried the lottery yet? That's some luck you got!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
It sure does. It makes taking off in first gear a lot easier. It also makes the clutch easier to operate smoothly as it gets warm while riding.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sure does. It makes taking off in first gear a lot easier. It also makes the clutch easier to operate smoothly as it gets warm while riding.

I bought one from CNC Racing. It does make a difference. Good call!

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Its a great story. Very happy for your success. Its always nice to have options, for when friends fly in to visit. I have created the same situation, however not as ... Similar. 'Chance favors the Prepared.'

1 - 11 of 11 Posts