Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - wonder if you can comment on a strange email I've received from Ducati.

I am in the process of getting my 1994 M600 back on the road, after 4 years of it being parked (I've owned it for over 11 years now). After failing to find online a high quality version of the service manual for the early 600 monster - I've only managed to download low quality things that seem to be scans of old photocopies of the original book - I decided to try contacting Ducati themselves through the "contact us" on their website.

In return, I've received an email polity asking me to talk to their official importers (which will probably be of no use as they were not in business when my bike was imported - my bike is a personal import and there was no official dealer at the time), and the email also asked me for the following:

Following your message, we are glad to know about the restoration you would made on your Monster 600. As we would like to update bike’s ownership at your Name in our systems, we take this opportunity to invite you to reply to this message, attaching a copy of your Registration Certificate, full page and / or front/back (Jpeg or Pdf), where we can clearly read bike's VIN and the registration at your Name, together with the Ownership Start Date.

In the end, according to Ducati policy, we would ask you to point out your full postal address and a valid phone number, in order to complete your record we have on file.

Had it not been a response to me contacting them, I would have dismissed this email as spam or a phishing attempt, but as it was a reply, before I send them such details as the registration documents and my personal information, I was kind of wondering if anyone has come across such a request, and knows why they might need this info.

Thanks!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Well actually every time I've bought a used Ducati and was trying to get service history or something Ducati Italy actually asked me for copies of proof of ownership for there records. Which I was happy to provide and funny enough soon after I wind up receiving in the mail a red Ducati owners card with my name and the bike info on it. Which is nice. And the few times I have sold/resold one of my bikes I let them know. Personally I think it's a nice service and I've developed a 1/2 decent relationship with them due to it.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,208 Posts
I don't think it's that odd. I contacted them when I purchased my 749s to confirm the VIN & model and got the same request. Looks like they ask everyone to confirm ownership that contacts them.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but the M600 was only brought in for one year here (2001) I believe, so info over here is sketchy at best.

And if Ducati was running true to form at the time, an addendum to the M900 Workshop Manual would have been issued as I believe they did for the M750 when it was brought in back in '97.

Someone who works at a dealership that has been around since the late '90s and is still working will have to verify this...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Can you actually contact Ducati and get the service history etc from them? I bought my 2002 750ss from the dealership but it had been just imported from Italy and no paperwork came with the bike.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Interesting.

OP- What email address did you use for Ducati Italy. I'd actually like to "register" my collection with them.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Can you actually contact Ducati and get the service history etc from them? I bought my 2002 750ss from the dealership but it had been just imported from Italy and no paperwork came with the bike.
No.

I've just been playing this game. I know the service on my recently purchased bike was done at a dealer a few hours from me. I went to my local dealer and asked for records. They could see the history, but said they could not provide them and referred me to the dealer where the service was done.

So I contacted that dealer, who confirmed they did the services. But they would not release the service history without authorization from the previous owner, whom they called but apparently got no response.

Thought I'd give Ducati customer service (DNA) a try. They let me know that they don't have service records and referred me back to my local dealer.

May as well try your local dealer, you might have different luck. They should at least be able to tell you whether a service was done or not even if they can't/won't give you full history.

@M600_il I've contacted DNA a few times and they always ask for proof of registration for their records. I think the English translation makes it seem a little odd, but they always ask. I've never volunteered it, though.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
When i bought my AMG Diavel i actually received a phone call from The factory in Italy "welcoming" me to the Ducati family, i was sceptical about the call and pointed out that i'd been a member of their family for the last 20 years at the time but thanks.
They asked me for information about why i chose it what i planned to do with it etc.

As for service history i was recently at the dealer i purchased it from although i've had no work done there at all, i prefer a different dealer/tech, the parts guy looked up my bike with the VIN and had the full history there on his screen, he was happy to print it off for me too, had every service, warranty claim, recall, the lot.
Got it with no problem at all.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts