Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been rather quiet of late. My life has just been full - mostly with good things, fortunately. I've been doing little riding. Or writing for that matter - except elsewhere on the subject of politics.

But this morning it is an absolutely lovely Autumn day and I just had to make an exception. How, though, would my bike - especially the now four season old battery - do after sitting for about a month or so without even being started - and that sans a charger?

Turns out I needn't have worried. To my joy and surprise she started almost immediately and ran flawlessly.

I just scheduled for her first service (at BCM in Laconia). The bike is presently at bit over 8K and has not seen the inside of a shop since shortly after I picked her up in the late summer of 06. (Yes, I have changed the oil and replaced the brake and hydraulic fluid.)

The GT1000 is the most trouble free bike I have owned in 40+ years of riding. And unlike some folks here I have had no rust or paint issues. She is and remains flawless. Well, that is apart from the loose tank. And that, btw, is being replaced at Ducatis expense while the bike is in the shop.

This GT1000 is one great motorcycle! :)

-don

·
Registered
985 Posts
Welcome back, Don!

Had much the same experience. Had not ridden the GT in almost 60 days, as it's been just too hot. The heat broke, and I decided to put the bike on the charger overnight before riding it the next day. The charger is automatic. I noted that the charger went from charging to float charge in just a few seconds, indicating to me that there is basically no battery drain when these bikes are parked.

Had a marvelous ride the next day, through beautiful high desert scenery which included NM 27, a 30 mile stretch of National Scenic Byway between Hatch and Hillsboro, NM. A friend gave just one piece of advice before starting out: "Don't hit any cattle!"

My GT has been absolutely trouble free, as well. There's been no tank spread, I suspect because I'm too lazy to gas up after most rides. The bike is stored with very little gas (and thus weight) in the tank.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Thanks for the update Don. I still get a rush every time I ride my GT. I've had a few minor issues, but all are resolved sans spreading tank. I just had my 7500 mile service last week and I get my third tank installed tomorrow under warranty.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Let me tell you guys, it only gets better. My bike didn't even feel broken in until after about 15,000 miles...now at about 41k I've lost track of how many sets of tires, tanks of gas, oil changes, ....on my 3rd set of cam belts about to be the 4th once I hit 45k, etc. The thing still rocks. Some days I just can't help slowing down just to roll on the throttle and feel that rush of sound and torque again. Every bit of maintenance and tuning just makes it seem more dialed in and more mine. I'm sure selling it now would have to include a new seat as mine is surely worn to the personalized shape of my own bottom. :cool:

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
So far I agree on the GT1000

I feel bad for you guys. Not riding your bikes for months. Here in Singapore where there is no winter and my wife totally monpolizes the car, I commute to work on my GT1000 every day rain or shine. I leave my house at about 5:30 AM and I have a wonderful 16 mile ride on winding, tree lined, traffic free roadways. The afternoon commute home has some traffic but since I leave at about 3:00 PM its not too bad.

This is my first Ducati and the first time in my life I have commuted daily on a bike. Comming from a long history of Beemers I was taught to believe that any other kind of bike was a risky business in terms of reliabiltiy. I had great trepidation about buying my GT1000 after reading so many horror stories on this forum. However, I have to say that after 6500 km this bike is great. Its a pleasure to ride to work and on the weekends to Malaysia. It has so far been as solid as a rock in terms of reliabilty.

I am very satisfied.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hi Guys,

Sorry to rain on your parade....

My GT has done 10,000 klms in about 10 months.....only broken down 3 times with electrical issues.....all under warranty and excellent service from RACQ and the dealer warranty department.

After spending the entry level money + Wasp TMSD+wheels+forks+shocks+tyres+exhaust+hugger+fatduc+

Not to mention a Sport tank and custom solo seat and upholstery and paint job.....( ok the upholsterer is dragging the chain a lot!)

Hmmm....I was looking at my dealers M1100S...and spotted a Jap bike with a familiar paint job...

I bought a Repsol CBR1000RR 3 months ago...and booked it in for the 12000klm service today....no mods to the Honda suspension, exhaust is excellent, smooth throttle, grunt that the GT could not handle even if it could develop it.

The GT played up several times on the trip to PI....my girlfriend rode it.....mainly issues with the FatDuc....idle rises to 2500rpm....the bike cut out once....refused to restart as a truck was bearing down on her....started just in time so she is still with us.

So I am somewhat disappointed with the GT....I enjoyed doing the mods and got some fun out of it....but I really appreciated the quality fit and finish of the Honda and the ride quality straight out of the box. To be honest I reckon my GT3 touring is the 4 wheel equal of the Repsol.

None of this will please the great guys and gals on this forum.

I rode the Duc today....and yep it's fun....so I am not bagging the bike altogether....and it's retro and sexy...and when it's parked by the Jappers.....folk always look at the GT and pass positive comment.

Ducati marketing is excellent....they create desire to own.

For a 3000klm ride next week....sorry DUC I will be taking the Honda...better in all respects.

Phark.......I may be banned from the forum !

Cheers Roger

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
No rain here. 17K on mine and no problems other than the spreading tank, which was replaced. I've taken it on two long trips with no issues aside from a dead battery, which was my fault for leaving the key in the on position and forgetting about it for a while.

Bike is still a lot of fun. Love the grunt.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hi Guys,

no mods to the Honda suspension, exhaust is excellent, smooth throttle, grunt that the GT could not handle even if it could develop it.

Cheers Roger
Hi Rog, good to catch up with you at P.I
Would have been good to have some more time together. Maybe another time.

You mentioned in our conversation (and above) that you thought the CBR1000RR had gobs more torque than the SC/GT1000.
The standard Honda produces around 75>79ftlbs which is similar to my bike currently.
My point was that I beleive it is such a narrow band that I think the perceived torque from the Vtwin feels "gruntier".
Now if you are talking Hp and max revs, thats another thing alltogether.:D

P.S - I have had no problems or issues what-so-ever with the two SC's that I have owned in the last two (nearly three) years.

Greg.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
No problems here. Currently 8000 miles and running great. :) Had some minor tank spreading, mounts shimmed by dealer, still tight at this point in time. If/when the new tanks come out I suppose I'll have my dealer replace the tank, but I'm not concerned about it for now.

Love the bike!

Debby

·
Registered
775 Posts
I've also had some great rides on my GT1000 recently. I'm thoroughly enjoying the rural roads over here during this season of mists & mellow fruitfulness. Actually we haven't seen many mists yet!

The GT1000 is a superb bike on which to enjoy our country lanes & I've discovered routes I hadn't previously tried in over 30 years of biking.

We may have more than our fair share of rain in the U.K. but I guess we should be thankful that we don't have ethanol in petrol - yet!

Looking forward to discovering new roads with the GT1000.

·
Registered
368 Posts
32500 kms
1 electrical fault albeit a major one and thats all!
had a bit of a play with a bandit 1200 today and was happy enough with her performance tho wasping her sure is tempting

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
GT is Fantastic

Lovin it !!!!
only one tiny electrical glitch
latest mod was the 40 tooth superspox
Already had the 14 front
All I can say is WOW it is now perfect.....:D

DUCS RULE …Rice grinders drool..

09 Ducati GT1000 Black and Gold; 14/40 with Ohlins F&R, Termis & Rizoma bling
95 Ducati SS 900 CR Red; 15/41 my new project…
81 Yamaha SR 500 total cafe project bike

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
i love my s1k.

yup, i've done a few mods... but i didn't buy it to have a great bike right out of the box - it was a project from the start.

i first bought my gt a few years ago for the upright ride position (reminded me of my dirt bikes) and loved the styling, sound and pull of the motor. i wound up fiddling with it quite a bit because i found i enjoyed fiddling with it (quite a bit) but all the fiddling made such a personal connection that after putting 17,000 miles on her i decided to build the s1k project bike.

can't say i've ever done this much customizing to any vehicles i've owned - never did much to any of my other bikes other than basic maintenance and ride the snot out of 'em. for some reason i never even felt the desire to mod other bikes - they just didn't call to me in the same way...

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I've put about 4100 fantastic miles on mine since I got it in March. Only trouble has been the tach wire has broken twice. First time it was re-soldered, the second time it was replaced. Both fixes were under warranty.

I gotta say this is the first bike I really crave to ride every day. Seven months of ownership and I still find the flimsiest excuse or errand to take it out on the road. Heck, on days I can't ride I just go out to the garage and gaze on its lovliness. Besides being a thrill to ride, I feed on all the great looks and comments it gets. Had he owned a Ducati, I think the Bard of Avon would've happily allowed this paraphrase of his famous line from Henry V:

"We few, we happy few, we band of Ducatisti"

·
Registered
775 Posts
Well said Cesare!

Here's my take on The Bard's work:

"Now all the youth of England are on fire,
And silken Ducati in the garage lies"

Paraphrase from Henry V, 2. Prologue

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hi Rog, good to catch up with you at P.I
Would have been good to have some more time together. Maybe another time.

You mentioned in our conversation (and above) that you thought the CBR1000RR had gobs more torque than the SC/GT1000.
The standard Honda produces around 75>79ftlbs which is similar to my bike currently.
My point was that I beleive it is such a narrow band that I think the perceived torque from the Vtwin feels "gruntier".
Now if you are talking Hp and max revs, thats another thing alltogether.:D

P.S - I have had no problems or issues what-so-ever with the two SC's that I have owned in the last two (nearly three) years.

Greg.
Hey Greg,

Yep great to meet at last...what a great event.

And great to see JC Sport in a HONDA JACKET. ( must look great on the S)

I probably should have bitten my tongue ( or two typing fingers maybe) and saved those comments for the japper forum lol.

The Repsol is just Pluckin Fast...regardless of the numbers...too fast maybe ( waiting on mail from Victoria Police)

Just spent half the day cleaning the 2 bikes.....more to do tomorrow to tidy the Duc up....she was looking very sad after she came of the transporter.

Hopefully the upholsterer has done the solo seat upholstery so I can get it painted and get it looking the way I want. ( I AM IN TOO FAR NOW)

The electrics are giving me the poos....and my g/f does not cope well with the bike when it plays up.

I have a love/hate relationship with this bike.

I sort of regret trading the 696....that was a top little bike. With 20/20 hindsight.....I should have traded the GT...and just taken the loss.

Don't be surprised if you see a shiteload of mods for sale in the FS section. I might trade it on a monster.

EX wasp/stressfest black rims
TMSD
FatDUC
Forks
Wilbers
Sport tank
Solo Seat
Conti replica ceramic exhaust
Guage lowers
Mirrors
Other stuff I have probably forgotten about.

Like just a quick add up that's about $6-8 K I have spent on the GT. Hmmm

Anyways....this is buy far and away a much better forum than the Japper ones...trust me on that.

Sorry to Jack your thread Don.

Cheers

Roger

·
Registered
93 Posts
Simple Pleasure

I'd had enough of young children and there mother this morning and took off on my 30 km circuit through the rolling countryside where I live to buy cigarettes and a newspaper. I didn't need either.
The ride was outstanding. Fast and thrilling. I know these roads well but you must concentrate hard for any hint that country activities are slowing the track. All I ran across was 2 horse riders on nervious young horses. I slowed and hit the clutch with no revs and glided past, all riders intact.
This bike is great fun. Never broken down, no warranty claims, washed once a year and lives in a garage with a careless owner to keep him sane.

·
Registered
503 Posts
You obviously don't ride it enough... wash it once a year....WTF Mine is lookin a bit sad after the Phillip Island MotoGP...but has scrubbed up ok....that's 2 "concourse washes in 2 weeks"

Stressfest pointed me in the right direction to get a new mirror for $105 AUD delivered.

What a great forum.

Great bike too....lots of soul.....

Cheers

Roger

Attachments

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
You obviously don't ride it enough... wash it once a year....WTF Mine is lookin a bit sad after the Phillip Island MotoGP...but has scrubbed up ok....that's 2 "concourse washes in 2 weeks"

Stressfest pointed me in the right direction to get a new mirror for $105 AUD delivered.

What a great forum.

Great bike too....lots of soul.....

Cheers

Roger
Hi Roger… sounds like you keep her… don't you?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts