Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got reminded on a recent weekend about a lesson that I need to continually think about....making the initial opening the throttle early and slow. So many times when I try to get going faster I try to really charge through the corner and then have to wait to get the throttle open. I will sometimes go a tiny bit quicker when I get aggressive like this, but the bike has a tendency to get loose when I try to roll the throttle on too quickly. This practice carries a lot of risk and if I go a little too hard with the gas, as the bike will step out sideways and I will lose time. The whole process also consumes a ton of energy.

When I take a step back, make sure that I arrive at the apex fast, but pointed in the right direction (this is key), I can then open the gas immediately after the turn input, early and slow. There is that segment of asphalt, maybe 3-4 bike lengths long, where I was previously charging too hard, off the gas, that has been replaced by a small (5-10%) throttle application that settles the bike. The bigger bonus is that it gets me moving forward for the drive down the straight. It seems like taking off that tiny bit, maybe 1 mph, on the entrance and really focusing on a fast and precise direction change translates into 2-3 extra mph all the way down the straight. It's about giving up a little to get a lot in return.

The bonus is that it's not only faster, but it takes less energy and leaves more margin for error. The "early" portion of this extends the straight as much as possible, and the "slow" part makes mistakes that are small enough that they rarely cause a crash. Hopefully these thought help someone else out there as well.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts