Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 996 with an open clutch cover, it started raining here in the bay area a few weeks ago and I ride everyday so my bike has been getting soaked. recently the bike has been feeling like the clutch was slipping. I thought that it was the plates rusting together from sitting over night after being in the rain but when I took it off the outer clutch plate was totally ground down. Should I get a closed clutch cover? Also, around the same time that the clutch started to go south I noticed another issue, that being the neutral light staying on in all gears. Are these issues connected? I orderd a new clutch pack today and Im not going to ride the bike until I can install it. Any help appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I also have a 996. I don't ride it in the rain however. It has an open clutch cover too. I have other bikes though so should I need to ride in the rain, I ride one of them instead.

So, if you plan on continuing to ride in the rain, I'd get a standard cover for the winter to keep things dry in there. As for the neutral light staying on all the time, it may be related to the rain, but I doubt it is related to the clutch issue.....sean

·
Premium Member
6,112 Posts
I have an '02 748R, also with a vented clutch cover, which has never, since I took ownership of it, seen a drop of rain. That being said, it sounds like there are too many things going on here for them to be pure coincidence.

Do you have any pics of the outer clutch plate or any of the other clutch assembly components?

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
My SS with vented cover will fill to the bottom hole in the cover if parked in the rain. I tip the bike as far as I can to drain as much as possible before riding it. I’ve never had a problem with clutch functionality once that was done, or any wear issues. I also have a vented cover on my S4RS, but I’ve never ridden it in rain, or even parked it in rain. My plan is to bore a drain hole or two when I figure out the best location for them.

Reactions: xracer

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I've left my 916, with open cover, parked out in the rain all day, doesn't seem to bother it. I don't worry about draining the water, I just jump on and ride it after warming it up of course. I assume the water leaves in it's own good time :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
I don't own a car, so I ride 365. Now on my seventh Ducati, four of them with dry clutches and all of those with open clutch covers. Never the slightest problem with rain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts