Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Time to dive into some more mechanical upgrade on Scarlett. Was really unimpressed by the stock Sachs steering damper so decided to switch that out.

After some shopping around I ended up deciding on the Hyperrace steering damper kit from Wilbers. Really happy with both the looks and performance.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
After getting caught out in the rain a few times I quickly experienced how slippery the stock rear sets are when wet. Spent a long time looking around at different alternatives to find someone that stood out and the choice finally landed on Valter Moto Type 3.5. Loved the look and adjustability. Can confirm feet are no longer slipping in the wet as these pegs are grippy as hell.

Installation was quick and easy and I'm really happy with the end result.

Always nice to supplement the carbon with some titanium. 😍

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Those are amazing looking rear sets! Never heard of them before
Love how compact and simple they are as well as how grippy the actual pegs look
Very nice overall. Too many rear sets are needlessly complicated imo

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
As this subs most beautiful 999S, Isabella, has been dismantled I felt the need to provide some new content for the people that loves the 749/999 range.

Lets just start off with this disclaimer. I don't really have much experience in build logs and the likes. I'll do my best and hopefully improve along the way. If not, hopefully the pictures will be enough to enjoy the thread.

I'll try to update along the way but as the bikes are a bit spread out in winter storage at the moment it will mainly be some archived pictures for now.

So, the bikes. Lets start with my 2006 Ducati 999 Nero, Scarlett.
It was my first ever bike, bought in 2017, and the reason I fell in love with Pierre Terblanche's beautifully design superbike. It has IMO aged like fine wine and I my love for the design has only grown since I first set my eyes on one.

View attachment 998318

The focus in the start will probably most be on this bike from my archive.

My second bike is a 2006 Ducati 999R, Mia. The name is pretty fitting as the bike is still, well, MIA. It had some small issues that the seller arranged to have fixed. Then covid shutdown came and it's still a bit in limbo, but will hopefully be sorted in the near future. So until then, Mia will be a bit of a mystery for you guys but I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

While waiting for Mia, I accidentally bought a third bike on impulse while watching Moto2. The bike came up for sale and I just had to have it, so I jumped in my car and drove down, looked it over quickly and bought it on the spot.
It's a 2006 Ducati 999R with a SSSA conversion, 1098 Öhlins front forks and more. I have yet to find a fitting name for this bike but I'm sure it'll come to me as it has with the others.

View attachment 998319

So yeah, as you can see, I kind of have a 999 addiction. Hopefully I'm not alone in loving these bikes and I hope someone will find it interesting to follow.
Im with you!!! I bought a second 999 this year, not an R but one I plan to dissect and use to the learn valve adjustments and for parts. 999 for ever :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Not a big fan of the cheap Chinese levers that came with the bike. Not really a place I want to save money considering the potential consequence of a broken brake lever so those had to go.

After a lot of looking at different alternatives the choice fell on a pair of levers from AEM.

Not to bad looking if you ask me and more carbon is always welcomed with open arms!

Really happy with both the aesthetics of them and the feel of the levers. The adjusters on them on the other hand turned out to be far from ideal. Vibrations loosened the screw enough for me to almost lose the one on the brake lever while riding. Just blind luck I saw it hang lose and managed to fasten it again while riding. Talked with AEM and was advised to use threadlock on them. Kind of defeats the purpose of adjustment so not too happy about that solution. The levers themselves can be fitted straight to the 19RCS Corsa Corta Master Cylinders I plan on putting on the bikes so that's an acceptable compromise at least.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
My plan was doing a monoposto conversion next on the bike so bought in subframe, rear cowl and all other needed parts. Before I could start on the conversion I ended up buying another 999R on impulse. Combined with the bike I'm waiting on that makes 3 999's. That's sadly one to many so Scarlett will have to go in the spring. From here on the focus will be on the two 999R's. Hopefully receiving the second one soon so I have enough time to comfortably prep it for the track before spring. In the mean time I have some things I want to do with the newest addition so I have something to wrench on either way!

Here's how the bike I'm selling off looked before parking it for the winter.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So, first order of business. Replacing the mismatched rear sets. The right side has Sato rear sets and the left has the original linkage and rear sets minus the foot peg. Test fitted the Valter Moto rear sets on the bike but because of the 1098 swingarm and custom made exhaust there's clearance issues on both sides. So either I'm gonna be looking for some alternative rear sets or I have to fit some spacers. Still haven't decided about which route to go here.

Second issue is the rear ball joint rubbing the carbon protector on the swingarm. If anyone has a link for some slimmer ball joints that would be appreciated. Might be just enough to clear it then.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Bought some new leathers yesterday. Hopefully the D-Air portion of the suit won't be needed but I like the safety of it in case I end up taking a tumble. Also added a teaser of Mia, the other 999R I'm awaiting delivery, on Instagram so if you're interested in looking at that there's a link in my signature to the account. You don't have to follow or anything to watch it.

·
Premium Member
5,503 Posts
Nice collection.

You might not want to hear this but I would work to get any "R" model back as stock as possible or at minimum gather up the parts to do so in the future. That said I would take the non-stock parts and have great fun with the standard 999 making it whatever you want. These bikes are very cool bikes and even the Terblanche haters have to admit they have aged well , most will secretly tell you they do like them now. in looks and design I would happily take one over a "New Ducati" though some day the new bikes may grow on my as the 999 did with time.
Agree with @ducvet ... While I would not say that I am a Terblanche "hater", my dislike of his bodywork styling is well documented on this site. Regardless... mechanically, the 749/999 series, especially the R's, give me wood, and the absolute sexiest part of the design is the rear end.

With the exception of the swingarm on the D16, the stamped/welded units on the later MY's 749/999's is hands down one of the most "beefy" looking rear ends in motorcycling. Why anyone not endurance racing would want to go with a SSSA on this bike is a mystery to me.

BTW, I realize the irony of posting a pic of a fairly extensively modded 999R, in a discussion focusing on getting said model back to stock, but it was the best pic of the OEM swingarm I could find.

·
Premium Member
5,503 Posts
The bike came with old Michelin Pilot Power 2CT tires. I hate these tires profile with a passion so they had to go.

View attachment 998381

Put on some Pirelli Diablo Rosso III and the difference was night and day. When the tires was off I used the opportunity to polish the wheels.

View attachment 998382

Believe it or not, I actually managed to ride the bike between the work done also. Here's a picture from a pretty neat old gas station in Kongsberg, Norway.

View attachment 998383

Loving the new tires. Currently debating which ones I'm going to be putting on my 999R that I will post more about later. That bike also had some 2CT tires on it when I got it and that's no bueno.

Shortlist is currently Rosso III, Rosso Corsa and Supercorsa. Leaning towards Rosso Corsa as I will be mainly using the bike on the road with shifting weather. Planning on bringing it to the track as much as possible but things are still a bit uncertain in regards to COVID.
I have the Rosso Corsa's on my R... they are amazing tires, provided they are warm. I cannot stress enough how important that last bit is... Seriously.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Agree with @ducvet ... While I would not say that I am a Terblanche "hater", my dislike of his bodywork styling is well documented on this site. Regardless... mechanically, the 749/999 series, especially the R's, give me wood, and the absolute sexiest part of the design is the rear end.

With the exception of the swingarm on the D16, the stamped/welded units on the later MY's 749/999's is hands down one of the most "beefy" looking rear ends in motorcycling. Why anyone not endurance racing would want to go with a SSSA on this bike is a mystery to me.

BTW, I realize the irony of posting a pic of a fairly extensively modded 999R, in a discussion focusing on getting said model back to stock, but it was the best pic of the OEM swingarm I could find.
I love the OEM swingarm myself. My other bikes have it and I have no plans on converting them. I do like how it looks with the conversion also though so I won't be converting back either. I like that it's something a bit different. Never been a person that prefers things original.

The way I see it, an original bike is the same for every owner so if you've seen one you've seen them all. What is interesting to me is what is done to it afterwards. That's what makes each bike interesting.

I agree totally that the rear end of the 749/999 is the sexyest part of the bike but the front really grew on me also. The whole bike has aged really well IMO but I can totally see why people don't like the design. It's very polarizing.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I have the Rosso Corsa's on my R... they are amazing tires, provided they are warm. I cannot stress enough how important that last bit is... Seriously.
Yeah, I'm really torn on the choice here. Shifting temps and weather here is a big factor and I'm having a hard time between the Rosso III and the Corsa. "Luckily" I have some months to decide before it will be anything close to riding weather again here. Only thing decided for now is that I'm staying with Pirelli.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Happy to say I'm now part of the exclusive club of people that will make Isabella live on through other bikes. Riley will be getting a new front axle and a black anodized side stand. Can't wait to fit it on. Think the black side stand will look great with the black lower fairing on the bike.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My late and very much loved uncle is the reason I fell in love with Ducs. The very few pics of myself from the early 80's are usually posing on his 900SS and whatever flavor of the month he had going at the time. He insisted on being different (to the letter) and of course, had a yellow 999S until the day he died. Still sits inside, still pisses everyone off when it gets turned over (full Termi system as you'd expect). Bliss.

I was forced to love the 999's and fifteen years down the track.. they speak for themselves.

Thanks for the thread.

·
Premium Member
5,503 Posts
I love the OEM swingarm myself. My other bikes have it and I have no plans on converting them. I do like how it looks with the conversion also though so I won't be converting back either. I like that it's something a bit different. Never been a person that prefers things original.

The way I see it, an original bike is the same for every owner so if you've seen one you've seen them all. What is interesting to me is what is done to it afterwards. That's what makes each bike interesting.
I have no issues with aesthetic mods based on a users personal preferences, but a modification like this, something that could potentially affect vehicle dynamics is just something I wouldn't do. I'll explain...

Take a look at the picture below:

The suspension on the MonoR was pretty extensively redesigned from the previous Mono, namely, we switched from circular cross section tubing on the suspension arms to aero cross section (#1, above). This made the entire suspension assy a good deal stiffer due to the increase in cross sectional area, and that one change necessitated several other revisions due to the different overall geometry (when loaded), especially the camber. Thankfully, adjustable camber (#2 above) on a machine like this is a prerequisite, so we were able to make the revisions we needed to without having to resort to design changes of the upright/upper suspension mount. We had also done a pretty good job using analysis tools with our CAD models to predict how the geometry would be affected and we had made the updates needed with regards to setup to achieve our design target for ride height, anti-dive, camber, toe, etc.

The point of all of this is that, especially in regards to a system like vehicle suspension, a seemingly small change leads to a cascade of others which are required to maintain predictable dynamics. Designing a rolling chassis is not done in isolation... the suspension mounts on the chassis, and the chassis itself in the area where the suspension is located, all are designed based on predicted loading in those areas. I can't be positive, but I would be willing to bet that the 999 trellis was designed to accept the predicted loads associated with a DSSA and those from the shock/damper.

I'm not saying the SSSA mod on a 749/999 will make the bike dangerous, in all likelihood it will not as Ducati Superbikes are designed from the outset to handle loads associated with racing. But it's still something that just "feels wrong" to me as it is outside the scope of the original design intent.

I agree totally that the rear end of the 749/999 is the sexyest part of the bike but the front really grew on me also. The whole bike has aged really well IMO but I can totally see why people don't like the design. It's very polarizing.
I think we're talking about two different things here... I'm talking about the look of the machine itself, without its bodywork. The late model 749/999's, especially the R's, with the stamped (or formed) welded swingarm and a fat 54/57mm equipped exhaust is one of the most "masculine" looking rear ends of any Superbike... let alone a Ducati.

That is, without a doubt, a serious looking "business end". ;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Appreciate the input. It's for sure a valid point and something I will keep in mind. Will do some back to back testing between the two R's next summer and see if the feel is off or not. Haven't been able to ride it more than around 100 km home from the seller in the dark while it was raining so limited seat time so far to feel if everything feels good or not with the conversion.

Agree the swingarm on the later models is beautiful. In fact, as you say, the whole bike itself looks awesome without the fairings.

Would love the MonoR also. Absolutely beautiful machine!

21 - 40 of 70 Posts