Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody! Been reading the site for a long time now and I'm a huge fan. Figured it is time to start posting on my own here instead of lurking on the sidelines.

I'm pretty new to the world of Ducati (I'm a Buell guy) but I found a deal that I just couldn't pass up: A 2001 ST4 at a salvage auction for only $500. I like building bikes as much as I like riding them so I thought what better opportunity to create the Ducati I've always wanted without cutting up a perfectly decent machine.

I've always loved Radical Ducati bikes, so that is going to be the main inspiration, although this one will have a little more vintage flavor. I live in the city so this won't be a track machine or a comfy touring bike. Still fleshing out the design, but stay tuned, more details to follow.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So without further ado, here is the bike in the condition I bought it:

And here it is a week later...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
You can't go wrong with $500!!!! Man sure wish I could find deals like that! You'll have fun playing with it for sure! Congrates!

·
Premium Member
6,924 Posts
Subcsribed. You will get your $500 back buy selling the good fairings left over etc.

Craig

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! It should be fun. Working on the renderings this week.

The shipping actually cost more than the bike itself!

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Subscribed!

Anxious to see what kind of styling you implement... Cheers!

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
This should have been in the St section, sad part is that was a comfort fairing. :mad:

Good luck with your build! :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you get that from Copart? $500 looks nice for that. I remember my boss bitching that everything on Copart was way overpriced. He was convinced the auctions were rigged.
I did actually. No, the auctions aren't rigged, but you pay out the nose for their processing fees. $500 won the auction, but it took another $390 in fees to get it off the lot.

·
7,733 Posts
As you know the bike's been down hard, I'd highly recommned looking at the engine mount bolts, especially the rear, not only to check the torque, but check to see if they aren't cracked, very critical even for preventative maintenance, and check to see if they are "centered" in the engine's "bolt ways" as well as the engine may have shifted in the crash and may be "riding" the bolts which they're not supposed to do: they're supposed to be pinched/clenched in place by the torque, not be suspended on them, ie the bolts are not hangers. In fact you may as well just replace them as originals are cheap enough. It may save you a lot of grief in the future re cracked frames, or engine casings.

Support the engine from under or above so it won't shift when you loosen, check and perhaps remove and replace one bolt at a time. If they come out smoothly with just a little interference, then they're probbaly okay position wise, ie the engine bolt ways line up perfectly with the frame boss holes but visually check anyway. If the holes are lined up, great, if not then you'll have to reposition the engine, by raising or lowering it in the frame, when both bolts have been loosened. I used leverage tools and wood blocks etc. to get the holes lined up. The rear is the more critical to get right.

Good luck with your project. :)

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Hi zipp4.
Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of Ducati.
It's great to hear of another ST special build, and I look forward to seeing and reading about your progress.
As others have said, you should get some cash back from the non damaged stuff you won't be using. Take good care of that late model seat, they are quite a sought after item.

Mark.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As you know the bike's been down hard, I'd highly recommned looking at the engine mount bolts, especially the rear, not only to check the torque, but check to see if they aren't cracked, very critical even for preventative maintenance, and check to see if they are "centered" in the engine's "bolt ways" as well as the engine may have shifted in the crash and may be "riding" the bolts which they're not supposed to do: they're supposed to be pinched/clenched in place by the torque, not be suspended on them, ie the bolts are not hangers. In fact you may as well just replace them as originals are cheap enough. It may save you a lot of grief in the future re cracked frames, or engine casings.

Support the engine from under or above so it won't shift when you loosen, check and perhaps remove and replace one bolt at a time. If they come out smoothly with just a little interference, then they're probbaly okay position wise, ie the engine bolt ways line up perfectly with the frame boss holes but visually check anyway. If the holes are lined up, great, if not then you'll have to reposition the engine, by raising or lowering it in the frame, when both bolts have been loosened. I used leverage tools and wood blocks etc. to get the holes lined up. The rear is the more critical to get right.

Good luck with your project. :)
I appreciate the advice! Seeing that this bike didn't come with a title (only a bill of sale) I went ahead and bought another frame and title. This way I can mock up one on the bike, and then just copy it over to the new frame. Should make it easier for paint/powder also.

I managed to get it running before it was disassembled. Everything seemed normal, but there was a squealing noise coming from the clutch. I suppose that will need to be replaced as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So managed to clean up some of the wiring last night and install the S4R swingarm, rear wheel, and 999 tank for mockup. From here I'll take it into photoshop to get design dialed in.

Leaning towards the Radical Ducati bubble seat, even though its been done a million times. The fact that it bolts right up and looks amazing is heavily influencing my decision.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Thats going to look really cool when finished Zipp. Another subscriber.............

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So the bike didn't come with keys. Replaced the ignition switch, but now I'm stuck with a fuel tank and no way to take the cap off. I'd like to sell the tank as its in good shape... any idea how to get the cap off without a key?

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
Pull the fuel pump assembly from the bottom and work the locking tab of the cap trough the hole. Then just unbolt.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So finally had some time to sit down with Photoshop and do some quick and dirty renderings. Really leaning towards option 1 since I already have most of the parts, but option 2 would be fun as well.

Option 1: Radical Ducati seat, V-Rod headlight, S4R swinger, and cast 848 wheels

Option 2: Airtech seat, standard round headlight, SC swinger and wire spoke wheels

What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,512 Posts
I like option 1. I can see the retro look of opt 2, but the twin shocks just don't work for me.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts