Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While being at my place to buy my track Suzuki, the new owner fell in love with my 998S's (who not ?? ).
I happened to know that a friend in Beijing had a 999 for sale, and after some arranging, we went all the way up to pick her up this last weekend.

After some 2 days of driving through 2.600 km of Chinese countryside, this old lady is now in my garage for a thorough clean up and engine tune, after which the new owner will, together with me, bring her slowly back to the beauty she once was.

I will do a check of the engine FI settings, and I know the basic is the same as the 998.
However, as I failed to find the service manual (anyone?), I got some questions, which I hope can be answered by someone who has done it himself before:

Bike: 999, model 2003 (not a S)

1) TPS setting: is the TPS set at 150V, or can I reset the TPS through the VDST (is the BikeBoy.org description valid for a 2003, or only for the 2005+?).

2) Throttle valve angle: what is the correct angle to set, after resetting the TPS? Now it is at 1.2 degree, which seems low to me (but which can be caused by a wrongly positioned TPS as well).

3) I spend just a little time to try to remove the upper lid of the airbox.
How do I take it off on the front, where the 3 accelerator cables go though the rubber seal?

Appreciate any reply,

Eric

·
Registered
351 Posts
How the heck did you get that thing into a minivan!?!?!?!?!!?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The TPS resets at 2.3deg. I use ducatidiag for the electronics: when you use the TPS reset it brings it to 2.3deg (which is basically the first point in the fuel map). To make sure that the butterfly is actually at 2.3 deg, here's how I do it. back the stopper all the way and hit reset (now you have the butterfly at 0deg and the ECU reset at 2.3deg). Turn the stopper until ducatidiag reads 4.6deg (now the butterfly is at 2.3deg). Reset the TPS once more to have the ECU at 2.3deg... (I hope it makes sense...)

You can't physically turn the TPS.

As far as removing the lid, I never found a way to do it without removing the whole airbox. But I was reading that by removing the steering lock gives you the room you need to remove the front bolts...

·
Registered
315 Posts
The TPS resets at 2.3deg. I use ducatidiag for the electronics: when you use the TPS reset it brings it to 2.3deg (which is basically the first point in the fuel map). To make sure that the butterfly is actually at 2.3 deg, here's how I do it. back the stopper all the way and hit reset (now you have the butterfly at 0deg and the ECU reset at 2.3deg). Turn the stopper until ducatidiag reads 4.6deg (now the butterfly is at 2.3deg). Reset the TPS once more to have the ECU at 2.3deg... (I hope it makes sense...)

As far as removing the lid, I never found a way to do it without removing the whole airbox. But I was reading that by removing the steering lock gives you the room you need to remove the front bolts...
Referring to the stopper, where is that located on the bike? I just downloaded the software recently and the cables are in the mail. I'd like to smooth out the bike a bit..

Also, to remove the airbox top is pretty annoying. I used a pair of vice gribs to loosen the bolts that hold the ignition onto the frame and that gave me enough space to find the last screws with a driver. I also disconnected the throttle and clutch so that I could pull the top off enough to remove them.

Hope that helps, very nice specimen you found there.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks, that is indeed the full BikeBoy.org procedure, and slightly different from the 998S procedure.

Referring to the stopper, where is that located on the bike? I just downloaded the software recently and the cables are in the mail. I'd like to smooth out the bike a bit..

Also, to remove the airbox top is pretty annoying. I used a pair of vice gribs to loosen the bolts that hold the ignition onto the frame and that gave me enough space to find the last screws with a driver. I also disconnected the throttle and clutch so that I could pull the top off enough to remove them.

Hope that helps, very nice specimen you found there.
Oh, it got bolts in the front as well?
I got the lid off without those removed, so I guess the Chinese engineer did not bother to install them at one time.

Both thanks for the reply, appreciated!

Eric

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
Are you sure this is not a Chinese knock off? Just kidding, nice bike. May I ask what is something like that cost in China?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you sure this is not a Chinese knock off? Just kidding, nice bike. May I ask what is something like that cost in China?
Well, if you see the shoddy work done on it (as usual here), then I wonder if it is not a knock-off.

Bikes are expensive here.
These bikes go for some 65k RMB.
With the ever increasing exchange rate, that should make some 10k USD.

For caparison, a Monster 1100 evo needs some 35k USD.
Add to that an other 10k USD for the Shanghai downtown license plate, and you know that riding bikes is not for everyone.

·
Super Duper Member
433 Posts
Regarding the TPS reset. Brilliant idea!

Regarding the the cost of riding in China. HOLY SCHNEIKIES!!! Is there a market for buying bikes in the US, then Shipping/Selling them in China? I'm guessing the international red tape would eat up any profits.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
China forbids the import of any 2nd hand car or motorcycle, hence the drive for new.
There is a black circuit of illegal import, but that is an other story ;)

If I further tell you that the maximum allowed age for a car or bike with a Shanghai plate (the 10k one) is 11 year .... well, there you go....
How to maintain car sales, he?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, today proved again that is makes sense to check a bike in all details, if the history is not known.

Opened the belt covers, only to find out that both tension rollers were tightened the wrong direction, clockwise in stead of counter clockwise.

The horizontal belt is also farrr too lose, I can move it 2 cm (almost an inch) up and down between the engine roller and the tension roller ....

The good thing, I know from the previous owner that the bike has run some 2000 km with it, and it that way, should only prove the story that belts be rather too loose then too tight.

Up to check more .....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts