Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2010 MTS Standard, third Ducati overall I’ve ever owned. Enjoying it for sure; yet, the thing is much wider at the knees than I expected. I mainly think this is just me, having come off a 950 Supermoto (KTM), a very narrow bike. As I understand it, I know the 950 MTS are more narrow at the knees but I assume all the 1200 models are roughly the same regardless of year?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Can't say I ever noticed the width between the knees on my 2016 1200 S, but I came from I4 literbikes, so that may be why.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I came from dirt bikes, last one being a KTM 450EXC. I could almost touch my knees together LOL. So yes, my first Multi rides were akin to riding a horse, relatively. All of them I've rode are about the same width. The DVT's frame mount points hit my legs in just the wrong spot. Haven't ridden a 1260 yet. I have a 2014. Just got used to it.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
From my 250 dirtbike days yea the Multi would feel wide... but compared to every other road bike I've owned or ridden it's as shapely as a ballet dancer.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
I have an 18 1260 PP, my last bike was a KTM 990 smr. The duc is much wider especially in the tank area.
I'd hope so... supermoto's are "dirtbikes with street tires". I'd not want that sort of seat for touring! (would be very uncomfortable)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an 18 1260 PP, my last bike was a KTM 990 smr. The duc is much wider especially in the tank area.
Yeah, don’t get me wrong, I’m adapting to it and all the other wonderful things about the bike are helping in that regard, but I’ve owned 25 or more road bikes in my time and the ‘10 Multi I purchased is definitely wider in the tank/knee area than most of them. Nobody upon nobody can tell me it’s NOT wide in the knee area. In fact, it’s wide down there in the way that I expect with most 4 cylinder bikes I’ve owned. It’s definitely wider there at the knees than any adventure bike I’ve driven or sat upon, but again, I wouldn’t characterize it as extreme or a deal breaker just very greatly noticeable to me. I’m really liking the bike overall.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I suppose it's relative but I was sitting on a 2020 Panigale V4 recently which I thought was wider (at the seat/ knee area) than my Multistrada.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
I suppose it's relative but I was sitting on a 2020 Panigale V4 recently which I thought was wider (at the seat/ knee area) than my Multistrada.
Hold on... didn't Ducati say the V4 was NARROWER than the twin? ;-)

·
Registered
887 Posts
Hold on... didn't Ducati say the V4 was NARROWER than the twin? ;-)
All I can say is that it didn't feel narrower than the Multi. Definitely much wider than the Panigale V2.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
All I can say is that it didn't feel narrower than the Multi. Definitely much wider than the Panigale V2.
Yea... I didn't believe for a second the V4 was going to be narrower in application. It might have some dimension that is narrower but the whole package... seemed unlikely.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don’t think the V4 is narrower than the twin, doesn’t look it anyway. i don’t feel much width difference between my ‘13 and ‘19 but I suppose they are both wider than my ‘05 1000 was. If you think your Multi feels wide come sit on the FJR I have sitting in the garage! That’ll put things in perspective for you!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am “almost” certain - maybe someone can speak to this here - that starting with the 2015 model they made them slightly more narrow at the knees. If you look at side by side comparisons with the -2014 models this can be seen a bit. The seat area at the tank with later models is tapered and doesn’t splay outward. Wish I could have a 2015 or later nearby to test this. Selling my Multi this week and love most everything about it except that girth.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
I am “almost” certain - maybe someone can speak to this here - that starting with the 2015 model they made them slightly more narrow at the knees. If you look at side by side comparisons with the -2014 models this can be seen a bit. The seat area at the tank with later models is tapered and doesn’t splay outward. Wish I could have a 2015 or later nearby to test this. Selling my Multi this week and love most everything about it except that girth.
I rode my 15 and my cousin's 13 side by side and I didn't note a difference in width at the legs... the big difference is that the front of the bike somehow looked "lighter" (weird I know), had to do with the way the plastic bits are laid out and how wide they are. made the 13 feel lighter (and they are actually a bit lighter... though handling wise I didn't note any difference)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts